• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sketchypip
    • May 2018
    • Brisbane

700hp Turbo 3.5 DOHC Shorty

Hi all,

New to the Pajero world but been mucking around with cars forever.

Been wanting a wheeling rig for ages to run with my mates patrols and cruisers but didn't want to destroy the family heirloom 2 door RRC or bust up my daily driver Amarok.

I'm an idiot so have to be different, but also has to be capable and cheap.

I'd been helping a good mate with his SWB Pajero over recent years and mentioned I'd love to get my hands on it when he was finished with it. Unfortunately that time came much sooner than anyone expected when he was killed in a workplace accident April 2017. I've been helping his family begin to sort out his estate and the old Pajero came up in conversation so after some discussions a deal was struck and now it's my intention to finish what Pete started and see this thing throwing Rooster tails across Fraser Island.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any kind of build log or record keeping so I'm discovering what needs to be finished as I go. It should be a wicked little rig when done however.

What I know so far:

SWB Pajero 96ish model
    3.5 quad cam swap
    Haltech Sport 2000 ecu
    individual coil conversion
    custom (big) turbo setup
    body lift
    lots of neat custom Fab work
    @*$#@*$#@*$#@*$#ed paint

Ignition circuit is fried so cranks but won't fire

Plan is to tidy, finish, register and drive the wheels of it plus scare a few unsuspecting victims at roll racing etc.

Some pics:

If there is a better spot to put this build thread can the mods please let me know. Look forward to learning all about these things and documenting the ongoing build
  • NTBenny
    • May 2017
    • Newcastle

Condolences for your friend.

Sick Paj!
    Last edited by NTBenny; 24-05-18, 09:06 AM.
    2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• craka
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by Sketchypip View Post
      Hi all,

New to the Pajero world but been mucking around with cars forever.

Been wanting a wheeling rig for ages to run with my mates patrols and cruisers but didn't want to destroy the family heirloom 2 door RRC or bust up my daily driver Amarok.

I'm an idiot so have to be different, but also has to be capable and cheap.

I'd been helping a good mate with his SWB Pajero over recent years and mentioned I'd love to get my hands on it when he was finished with it. Unfortunately that time came much sooner than anyone expected when he was killed in a workplace accident April 2017. I've been helping his family begin to sort out his estate and the old Pajero came up in conversation so after some discussions a deal was struck and now it's my intention to finish what Pete started and see this thing throwing Rooster tails across Fraser Island.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any kind of build log or record keeping so I'm discovering what needs to be finished as I go. It should be a wicked little rig when done however.

What I know so far:

SWB Pajero 96ish model
      3.5 quad cam swap
      Haltech Sport 2000 ecu
      individual coil conversion
      custom (big) turbo setup
      body lift
      lots of neat custom Fab work
      @*$#@*$#@*$#@*$#ed paint

Ignition circuit is fried so cranks but won't fire

Plan is to tidy, finish, register and drive the wheels of it plus scare a few unsuspecting victims at roll racing etc.

Some pics:

If there is a better spot to put this build thread can the mods please let me know. Look forward to learning all about these things and documenting the ongoing build
      I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. He's name wasn't Pete was it?
      That looks to be my old shorty, I mean the exact one. Except it was pretty stock when I sold it and had a busted rear diff/axle housing
      NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• rotare
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2007

Is the motor stock, or has it been rebuilt for boost?
        2013 NW VRX

Comment

• littleriver
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2013
          • Queensland

Condolences for your friend .. that's one peace of motoring achievement... enjoy the beast
          2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Sketchypip
            • May 2018
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by craka View Post
            I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. He's name wasn't Pete was it?
            That looks to be my old shorty, I mean the exact one. Except it was pretty stock when I sold it and had a busted rear diff/axle housing
            Sure was mate, and obviously is your old rig as he bought it with the busted rear housing. Now has a later model 3.5 rear end in it plus a bunch of other stuff obviously.

Comment

• Sketchypip
              • May 2018
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by rotare View Post
              Is the motor stock, or has it been rebuilt for boost?
              I have no idea at this point but I'd say probably not at a guess. I intend to keep it fairly mild initially to around 350-400hp or whatever 14psi nets pending what fuel system it has.

Comment

• stumagoo
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2014
                • Perth WA S.O.R

wow 14 psi may not net you 350 atw but it would be a hell of a ride still. Stock I believe you have around 150hp at the wheels and in the past on the turbo cars I have run we allowed 10 hp for every psi (this is a very rough rule of thumb of course) so I expect you would come close to double the stock power - and that would be crazy still
                1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• craka
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by Sketchypip View Post
                  Sure was mate, and obviously is your old rig as he bought it with the busted rear housing. Now has a later model 3.5 rear end in it plus a bunch of other stuff obviously.
                  I remember him saying when he bought it, that he was going to build a comp truck/rig out of it.

Well you can kind of blame me for the shit paint job. Got orange peel pretty bad, then got a mobile painter to come rub it back to fix it and respray, but tbh was a bit better but not a lot.
                  NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• stumagoo
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2014
                    • Perth WA S.O.R

looking over the pis there is a fair amount of custom fab work on this engine - and the engine seems pretty clean so I would not be surprised if it has been opened up and had some other parts installed, I have heard that the crank on these engines is already better than the magna 3.5 so it may be that there is no need for much else. I dont know how the rods and pistons stack up against the magna engine but I know that the magna boys do boost them (I believe they prefer to change out the pistons though) so anything is possible.....user MAD MAGNA would have more knowledge on this stuff as it is his day job
                    1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                    1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Sketchypip
                      • May 2018
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
                      wow 14 psi may not net you 350 atw but it would be a hell of a ride still. Stock I believe you have around 150hp at the wheels and in the past on the turbo cars I have run we allowed 10 hp for every psi (this is a very rough rule of thumb of course) so I expect you would come close to double the stock power - and that would be crazy still
                      Given I made 370hp at the wheels at 16psi from my 2JZ powered E30 with a smaller turbo I'm pretty confident 350rwhp from a quad cam 3.5 with this turbine won't be a drama as long as the fuel system is up to scratch. I found the turbo efficiency maps last night so once I figure out which combo it is I'll post up the maps and the expected flow rates/power.

Originally posted by craka View Post
                      I remember him saying when he bought it, that he was going to build a comp truck/rig out of it.

Well you can kind of blame me for the shit paint job. Got orange peel pretty bad, then got a mobile painter to come rub it back to fix it and respray, but tbh was a bit better but not a lot.
                      He most certainly did a shit job. Pete had started to rub it back again as most of the panels have bubbled terribly. Not rust, just like the paint has moisture under it. Not too worried, the plan at this stage is to paint the entire car in Rhino tray liner

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
                      looking over the pis there is a fair amount of custom fab work on this engine - and the engine seems pretty clean so I would not be surprised if it has been opened up and had some other parts installed, I have heard that the crank on these engines is already better than the magna 3.5 so it may be that there is no need for much else. I dont know how the rods and pistons stack up against the magna engine but I know that the magna boys do boost them (I believe they prefer to change out the pistons though) so anything is possible.....user MAD MAGNA would have more knowledge on this stuff as it is his day job
                      I found out over the weekend Pete had a drag racing mate who was helping him so I'm hoping I can get in touch and find out for certain. BTW, I thought your name looked familiar as a fellow Z32 pervert from PF

Comment

• stumagoo
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2014
                        • Perth WA S.O.R

Yep I am from the z forums as well. the 2Jz I think is likely to be a little more efficient at making power. the fuel pump is the same as an evo but the injectors are only 270 cc so I figure you will Max out your injectors before hitting 14 psi. also we have more drive train loss than a road car bigger tires diffs and gearboxes. That means more drive train loss

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X