• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Gen 4 Paddle Shift

Details of this mod were originally posted in my "build thread"; I thought a separate DIY thread was more appropriate.

Edit: Additional info that might help DIYers find the correct paddles, and the correct bits to go with them: https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum...ring-harnesses

When I had a Golf GTD as my daily driver I generally drove it in Sport mode, using the steering wheel paddles to change gears. Now that my NT is (currently) my daily driver, I missed having the paddles, so I decided to do something about it.

After checking out the wiring diagrams, and inspecting the wiring in my NW wreck, I worked out the interface is actually pretty simple - all required signals are in one 4 pin connector. There is a compromise - the paddles only work while the shift lever is in Sport mode, and do nothing in any other mode. I designed a circuit on paper that would allow the paddles to work in any mode, and wasn't sure what would happen if the paddles were used in any mode other than "D". Picking up the "D" signal without cutting & soldering required a bigger connector, and I didn't think the extra functionality was worth the hassle. So Sport mode only.

I used paddles from an Outlander, which are apparently the same as the Lancer. It fits over the clock spring assembly like it's meant to be there - there are two pre-existing locating spigots and two mounting holes in the plastic. I grabbed the self-tapping plastic screws from the donor car, and they screwed straight in.

Unfortunately, the donor vehicle also had two mounting points on the underside of the steering column assembly - the Pajero has nothing there that even looks like it could be used.

I grabbed the steering column covers from the Outlander, in the hope that they would simply fit the Pajero - no such luck. I got them to clip together over the column, but the top cover interfered with the dash, and the bottom cover didn't work well with the height adjust lever. So I had to cut some slots in the side of the Pajero steering column covers. This was made easier by having the Outlander covers available - I just transferred the slot pattern to the Pajero covers, and carefully cut it out with a Dremel. Later, I discovered that the Pajero covers are narrower in that region, and the angle of the shift paddles meant I had to extend the slots by about 5mm.

There are significant differences between the Pajero and Outlander steering column covers, so the paddle assembly doesn't fit straight in - a significant amount of work was required. However, after all the cutting and filing, the bottom of the paddle assembly is effectively "wedged" between the front of the white assembly and the covers.

The cutting & filing:

Front.

Rear. The circled area is where I had to drill a hole for a locating spigot in the lower cover, and cut & file the rear part of the frame.

Bottom view.

The next four are close-ups of the corners I had to file away.

While picking up the shift paddles I also grabbed the two connectors required for the plug & play harness:

Not shown in the pic is the connector I grabbed to mate with the connector on the paddle assembly. That's a 3 pin connector that I extended, and put another (different) 3 pin connector on the other end to mate with the 3 pin connector in the pic.

The adaptor plugs in under the centre console, just in front of the shift levers. The paddles only have power when the shifter is in sports mode. In sports mode, the ECU gets change signals from the shift lever, or the paddles - the ECU doesn't know the difference. There is nothing to stop both paddles being pulled at once, sending two signals to the ECU - I don't know how the ECU will respond if I do that.

The relay is for another mod, suggested by twisted32, for my torque converter lockup. The lockup only has power in Sports mode, so flicking the lever back to auto will disable the lockup. One harness for two mods.

Cost: The wrecker charged me $100 for everything I grabbed, then it was a few dollars for some extra 3 pin connectors, plus some heat shrink that I already had lying around. I also had the relay, but that's not required for this mod.

Summary of parts required:
    • Paddle shift assembly - Outlander / Lancer, possibly PC Challenger?
    • Top two screws for mounting to the white plastic assembly
    • 3 pin connector from the vehicle harness to mate with the connector on the paddle assembly
    • Pair of 4 pin connectors to make the plug & play assembly
    • Cable to extend the paddle signals down to the centre console
    • Solder & heatshrink

Optional, but handy:
    • Steering column covers from the donor, to copy the slot detail
    • 3 pin plug & socket, to make a separate extension cable, to extend the paddle signals from the steering column down to the plugs under the centre console. This cable could be soldered direct to the plug & play assembly.

So far, I'm enjoying using the paddles. Will I continue to use them, or will it turn out to be a passing fad?

Edit: not a passing fad for me. I use them all the time, without conscious thought.

Some installation instructions and wiring diagrams are attached to my sell thread, but the forum software won't let me attach them here too - so I've added links instead:
    Installation instructions Rev 5a (for the kits that I sell, but the info might be helpful for a DIYer).
    Paddle Shift circuit diagram.
    Paddle Shift circuit diagram for NS.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
  • caowch
    • Aug 2016
    • Perth

nice work, but looks too complicated.

i wish there is a just plug and play solution like change led light bulb or egr spv mod.

Comment

• ticky
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2015
      • Adelaide

You never cease to amaze me Scott. You have Bold Ideas and the knowledge to make them a reality.

Well done mate

Steve
      2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

So, for those who maybe haven't been following, I have continued to use my paddles every day, and I'm not the only one who enjoys them. As posted elsewhere, I'm now selling install kits, and have had some good feedback. And now m_and_m has developed paddle-mate, a custom controller to make the paddles behave seamlessly, as if they were installed by the factory.

But I only know of one member who has gone the DIY route based on this thread - not that anybody else would know, based on the posts he's made...

So, has anybody else gone the DIY Shift Paddles route? Any feedback that could benefit others who might choose to tread the same path?
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• cerello
          • Feb 2010
          • Brazil

Hello from Brazil!!!
          I'm new here...
          Congratulations for the Project! Outstanding…
          I’m trying to do the same here and just got the paddles from an Outlander but I’m having a hard time to find those 3 and 4 pins connector. I think that mine is a NS 2008 (we don’t use this terminology over here) and also Left Hand Drive.
          I saw your PDF diagrams, which helps a lot to understand the connections, but I still couldn’t find where to get them.
          I’ll appreciate if you could help me with any tips. Is the MU801449 the part number for the connector near the shift stick? And for the paddle? Where can I find them to buy? Any other photo will help a lot.
          Thank you very much in advance!
          Best Regards!
          Rod

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Hello cerello, welcome to the forum.

The three pin connector to connect to the paddles you should obtain from whichever vehicle had the paddles - I haven't been able to find a source for those connectors other than from wrecked vehicles. Most Mitsubishi vehicles from 2007 onwards that have indicator and wiper stalks that look like your Pajero stalks have the three pin connector, whether they have paddles or not - unfortunately, Pajero is one of the exceptions.

The four pin connectors are found in at least two places in later model Gen 4 Pajeros - one pair is found in the transmission shifter circuit (where the paddles plug in), and another pair is used in the illumination circuit for the transmission and transfer shifters.

To complicate matters for you, the NS here in Australia used 8 pin connectors - depending on your model, the four pin may not be right. You may need to find a connector that looks like this:

Otherwise, I have to buy the housings from Mitsubishi, the terminals from the US, and use a crimp tool I already had. For the DIYer, I would advise finding a suitable Pajero wreck to scavenge the connectors.

If you get stuck, I could sell you a pre-made plug & play harness that will be compatible with paddle-mate, but I haven't calculated pricing for that. It is unfortunately labour intensive...

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• cerello
              • Feb 2010
              • Brazil

Hi NJ!
              Thank you very much for the help.
              I just opened the center console and confirmed that the connector is just like the one you showed.
              I bought a harness form a 2013 lancer (waiting for be shipped) for the 3 pins and will try to find the male/female 8. However, in advance I would say that I am interest in the one you can make, but I don’t know how hard is going to be for you to ship this overseas and how can I transfer for you…
              I’ll let you know how the project is going here, but I’s a good thing to get a plan B.
              Thank you once again!
              Regards

Comment

• cerello
                • Feb 2010
                • Brazil

Just one more question NJ.
                How hard/risky do you think it’s going to be to make it non-plug & play? I mean something like direct soldering the wires or remove the terminals from the original housing then crimp the wires together and reconnect them…
                I’m not experienced with electronics, but can a professional do it easily?
                Thanks

Comment

• Joyce1bro
                  • Jul 2018
                  • New Zealand

How do you order this? Do you have a website?

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Joyce1bro View Post
                    How do you order this? Do you have a website?
                    For details of the kit that I sell, please see this thread in the Commercial Advertisers section.

Please note:

My install kit only allows the paddles to operate in Sports mode; to have the full factory-like functionality of being able to use the paddles any time, you'll need to also purchase m_and_m's awesome paddle-mate; for details, click here.
                    My install kit is designed for plug & play interface to paddle-mate - those who DIY paddles will also need to DIY the paddle-mate install.

I don't have my own web site. Paddles alone can be ordered via PM; if you would also like MM 4x4's paddle-mate, both can be ordered together from MM 4x4's web site. You may need to contact MM 4x4 (user m_and_m on this forum) for a code to use to receive the Forum Member's discount.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

Over six years later, and I'm still receiving enquiries about this mod.

I no longer sell paddles, but I can supply everything else that is required. Please see this thread for details, including tips on finding the correct paddles for a Pajero.

MM 4x4 no longer sell paddle-mate, so this DIY mod will only work with the shifter in the Sports position. With the shifter in any other position, the paddles do nothing.

Full factory-like integration of the paddles is available with MM 4x4's auto-mate.

Have fun!

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X