• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NJV6
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2010
    • New Zealand

My New (to me) NT turbo lag

Hi, I recently bought a 2011 NT GLX with 70000km on the clock. Its a manual and is not modified in any way except for a smartbar. I have had a SWB 3.5 NJ for 11 years and still have it.

I am in NZ and it is a fresh Australia import, I waited some time to get a manual one as they were not sold here new and still ummed and ahhed for months before buying!

On my test drive and driving it home (1500km) i enjoyed it and it was very economical (over 1000km from the tank).

However getting it home to my own roads is making me disappointed in its turbo lag and also off boost response. Once boosting, performance is great, however having come from a 3.0 Ford Ranger I thought a bigger engine would be at least as good, not a chance! I loose a couple of seconds between gears at least when changing up through the gears especially on the hills near home.

I realise I could have gone auto and not had this issue but I like the manual, what are my options other than get an auto? Anyone with a manual done any mods in this respect?

Does the EGR mod help?
    Doing away with the Cat & larger exhaust?
    I imagine getting a chip wouldn't help off boost and would make the on/off boost effect even more pronounced?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
    1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
    2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...
  • razorback481
    • Nov 2014
    • Lewiston SA

what fuel was the first tank verses the next one ?

i have found with my Prado the cheap fuel doesn't have the cetane level of the better fuel

if it was fine before the something has changed

Comment

• NJV6
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2010
      • New Zealand

No I don't think anything changed, it was just me getting back to my familiar roads and knowing how a vehicle goes on them. You also tend to overlook some of those things when test driving!
      1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
      1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
      2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• Scouter1
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2013
        • Sydney NSW

I bought an NT Auto a few years ago with 40,000 on the clock and did find initial take off a bit disappointing. So far I have undertaken the following, all have made notable improvements to performance off the line:

Clean MAP sensor
        Decoke inlet manifold
        ECU remap with EGR close option
        3" turbo back exhaust

More info in my build thread below.

Cheers,
        Stephen
        2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• Rowey
          • Feb 2016
          • North Queensland

Turbo lag

Hello, I have just bought an NT 2010 Platinum Pajero TD auto and noticed a bit of turbo lag as well. A few friends with different types of vehicles are using IDRIVES. So i bought one from Idrive australia, they are also available on ebay for the same price $299. They are model specific and they plug into the throttle pedal. They increase the response time from the throttle to the fuel management, as most vehicles now have fly by wire (electronic throttles). I am very happy with it and there is no doubt that the lag has been significantly improved. i would not be without it. It is certainly a cheaper option than putting in a fuel module (chip), and its more realiable. I have heard a few people complain about some of the cheaper fuel chips, with one friend having his go into limp mode whilst conducting an overtaking move. Dont get me wrong there are some great chips out there, if i could justify the cost then i would probably get myself a uniden chip and have it dynotuned. Anyway google IDRIVE.
          Last edited by Rowey; 21-02-16, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X