• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shocker1
    • Jun 2008

NL front locking diff

Hi guys,
    My NL Pajero has 290,000 km on it, would you all consider installing a front locking diff at these km's or not, if opportunity was there?. The CV's are original from factory, I'm unsure if I would swap them for new as I believe that factory were far stronger than after market. They've never been abused, torsion bars were never wound to full extent. If putting a locker in is viable, whish would you recommend?.
    I also have an older set of Ironman Mits019 torsion bars in the shed, they would be at least 10 yrs old, but were only in the car about 2 or 3 yrs with no weight on the front except an alloy non winch bar, that's why I pulled them out. Would they still be useable, or has design & production methods changed to a point where a new set would be better?.

Thanks for any info guys.

Matt.
  • aussieguy
    • Oct 2015
    • Brisbane

torsion bars sitting in a shed will still be good, check the expiration date on the steel.. LOL
    Torsion bars work the same way as a spring, and will only be useless if you overload their rating for long period, in fact a "saggy" torsion bar can be some what fixed by re-indexing them for more life.

Have been investigating front locker for Pajero for a bit here is my conclusions;

1. Lokka (lunchbox locker) should only engage when drive is sent to the front, are designed to unlock when high speed turning may be issue in 4H with heavy steering. CHEAP and cheerful but always engaged when in 4WD.
    2. ARB Air locker, need air compressor and lines to axle, if installation isn't done properly can be a hassle with air leaks, but mostly bullet proof.
    3. TJM Air locker, need to look hard to find one of these, however according to winch challenge truck drivers, TJM are the go, well at least in the Pootrol arena. Same issue as ARB and all air activated lockers.
    4. E-Locker, if you are to believe the whinge web they have issues with disengaging when vehicle slips backwards, apart from that appear to be good NEW tech.

Personally I will be putting a Lokka in mine, I have manual free wheeling hubs as well, oh and $600 + a set of seals and labour makes it the cheapest option.

Last edited by aussieguy; 03-05-20, 09:07 AM.
    05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
    02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• shocker1
      • Jun 2008

Hi Aussieguy,
      Thank you for the info, it's greatly appreciated. I might look at the Lokka diff, I do recall seeing somewhere that some say they aren't much good because of the unlock syndrome when the wheel turns backwards, but I'm thinking that when locked & forward momentum is the object, when would the wheel turn backwards, unless you stop & then try to go forward again?. They probably are good value for $. I think that whilst ever power is applied, this diff will be fine.
      I might reinstall the heavier torsion bars when I find a steel bar & winch, a bit of weight to take the sting out of the front.

Comment

• pharb
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Tyers,Vic

It's the Harrop (or Eaton) E locker that unlocks momentarily with a change of direction.
        It utilises electric activation, but relies on mechanical force created by the rototating members to hold it engaged. As such, as the load comes off the diff when changing from forward to reverse (or reverse to forward) it momentarily disengages until load is applied again.

This is only really a potential issue when trying to rock out of a stuck position and you are rapidly moving from forward to reverse and back to forward again.

The Lokka diff basically utilises a set of dog clutches that are spring loaded in the engaged position, providing a solidly locked diff. When there is enough force provided by the half shafts rotating at different speeds, such as when going around a corner, the spring pressure is overcome and the dog clutches are forced apart, momentarily allowing the shafts to travel at different speeds.

When used in the rear diff you can feel the diff momentarily unlocking then locking multiple times when going around a corner.

The first time I experienced this in an 8t truck I thought the (rear) diff was buggered. It was like going around a corner with one sqare wheel.

I would not look forward to using one in a front diff, although I gather some have. I imagine it would be like having understeer, then not, then understeer, then not........multiple times around a corner.
        PCOV Member 1107.
        Daily driver NX GLX
        Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
        Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
        Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• NJV6
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2010
          • New Zealand

I would not hesitate in putting a front diff lock in at those km provided the diff has been well maintained. And the CV’s will be fine.
          I would not use a lokka myself but plenty do and it’s personal preference. I like running my Pajero in 4H on the road and the lokka is not suitable for that. In the rear they are a change of driving style when turning, smooth and easy does it and it prevents it from locking and unlocking mid corner

I won’t lie, I love my air locker but would consider other manual lockers, the e locker engagement doesn’t bother me, they seem to be pretty bombproof. Whatever you choose, you need a front locker , the best mod for a pajero off road and as an aside, one in the front works better than one in the rear!
          1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
          1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
          2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• pharb
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Tyers,Vic

I also would have no hesitation fitting various accessories at that many kilometres.

I'm currently tossing up what I fit to my "new" to me NL with 420,000km, but I have to keep reminding myself I should be preferencing my NX camping, touring wagon, not my wood getting bush pig.

A bit hard to justify fitting front diff lock to both
            PCOV Member 1107.
            Daily driver NX GLX
            Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
            Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
            Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• shocker1
              • Jun 2008

Wow, heaps of info in here to consider. Thanks guys, much appreciated. If I were to put a Lokka in the front & as apparently it's locked most of the time, would it be advisable to also fit free wheeling hubs to reduce tyre wear, or would the centre diff take care of this?.

Comment

• disco stu
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2018
                • Wollongong

For those thinking of a lokka they're having a sale currently, seen on Facebook. Looks about $100 off, bringing it down to about $478

Still thinking about installing A LOKKA in your 4WD - and suddenly have a bit of spare time on your hands?

Well you’re in luck, the LOKKA is still on sale - if you’re quick.

Follow this link…

Enter this code…

ACTIONLKA19

And we’ll ship one out to you.

*Video credit: 4WD Action

Comment

• NJV6
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2010
                  • New Zealand

i Would certainly be fitting manual hubs... if you inadvertently had the transmission in 4H on the road things would get scary quickly. If you apply any sort of power you’ll be going straight ahead!
                  They work for corners by effectively letting one wheel (the one on the outside of the corner) run faster than the other, it doesn’t unlock as such but ratchets.
                  1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
                  2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• NH-Mark
                    • Aug 2007
                    • Brisbane

I run a lokka and free-wheeling hubs in the front. It's great - I hardly ever turn on the rear locker anymore. Steering is a little heaver when engaged. I don’t notice/feel any sort of lock/unlock (or ratcheting as NJV6 said) when turning, but I only use it off-road.
                    Mark.
                    New Toy - 2021 LC79 Dual Cab with all the fruit.

SOLD - '93 NH GLX LWB - Snorkel - Cargo Barrier - 305/70/16's - Long Range Tank - 2" Body Lift - 2" Suspension Lift - Winch - Overhead console/UHF/Lots of Switches - Dual batts - Factory Rear Locker - Front Lokka - Rear drawers - Compressor & Air Tank - Engine Swap 3.8 VP Commodore v6

Comment

• shocker1
                      • Jun 2008

Thanks guys, lots of info in here. I'm starting to wonder if the Harrop locker would be more suitable for me over the Lokka, my understanding is that as the Harrop is unlocked until needed I won't need free wheeling hubs & also still retain full super select transmission?. It would also be a faster install as the whole carrier unit is swapped & no need to dismantle the existing carrier to remove spider gears etc first?. The down side will be cost & remembering to keep power applied to keep it locked I guess. Have I missed anything?. Feel free to comment guys.

Comment

• NJV6
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2010
                        • New Zealand

You don’t need to keep power applied to keep it locked, you just need to keep going the same way. I cannot really see it being an issue and you won’t even notice it going about it’s busimess.

Yes you retain full super select and don’t need free wheel hubs. Have a look on you tube of how it works and it’ll become clear

Comment

• selenger
                          • May 2020
                          • Russia

Интересное решение , вопрос в его цене ..

Как я вижу идеальную блокировку - это 100% блокировка в нужный момент .
                          По сути , такая же как установлена в заднем дифференциале .
                          Остальное - это компромиссные решения .
                          Локка - это сугубо направленная вещь для тотального бездорожья .

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2000
                            • Tasmania

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
                            You don’t need to keep power applied to keep it locked, you just need to keep going the same way. I cannot really see it being an issue and you won’t even notice it going about it’s busimess.

Yes you retain full super select and don’t need free wheel hubs. Have a look on you tube of how it works and it’ll become clear

https://youtu.be/nT_H6rpd-Ck
                            Have had e lockers in both nl & NS since they first became available for the Pajeros. Turfed our the arbs with much pleasure. Imo much better system than the arb & you don’t get any oil blowback because you aren’t putting 100 psi in the diff. And you don’t get any air line issues because you don’t have an airline. Funny that . The issue about unlocking in reverse is really a non issue & never , I repeat never has caused problems with any of my applications. At any rate they both do the same job just differently activated. I had front & rear elockers in my nl as well as a dual transfer case & it was unstoppable.
                            NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
                            NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• jrmc47
                              • Jul 2011
                              • Wonthaggi

Originally posted by shocker1 View Post
                              Hi guys,
                              My NL Pajero has 290,000 km on it, would you all consider installing a front locking diff at these km's or not, if opportunity was there?. The CV's are original from factory, I'm unsure if I would swap them for new as I believe that factory were far stronger than after market. They've never been abused, torsion bars were never wound to full extent. If putting a locker in is viable, whish would you recommend?.
                              I also have an older set of Ironman Mits019 torsion bars in the shed, they would be at least 10 yrs old, but were only in the car about 2 or 3 yrs with no weight on the front except an alloy non winch bar, that's why I pulled them out. Would they still be useable, or has design & production methods changed to a point where a new set would be better?.

Thanks for any info guys.

Matt.
                              I run a lokka in the front and a TJM pro locker in the rear.....seldom lock the rear...should have saved the money and left the LSD in the rear...they are awesome.....twin locked the paj goes almost anywhere
                              NL Pajero gls.. TJM pro locker...front LOKKA...full reco 4M40 manual ...rear drawers ..ARB bullbar...Kings awning..Kings 9" led lights...Kings lightbar...1200lb winch...75 litre Evakool Fridge...agm second battery...DRL's....40 channel UHF....2 x 128 Channel UHF / VHF Handhelds...Kings recovery gear...Thumper compresser...ARB locker compressor

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X