Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Makes you wonder what else can go wrong.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Makes you wonder what else can go wrong.

• peterdeg
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • NW Sydney

Locked out ... as in "I forgot my keyfob has a physical key built in"
    Peter
    2018 QE Pajero Sport Exceed.

4WD History: 2011 MN Triton GLX-R. 2004 NP GLS DiD. 2002 Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL. Learnt in a 1980 Ford F100.

Comment

• sharkcaver
      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
      • May 2009
      • Perth

today's update:

The head-scratching mystery behind shoppers finding themselves locked out of their cars at a Perth shopping centre appears close to a resolution.

They had to wait for close of business to test they had found the culprit. That sounds very much like a router or POS device to me, the only things that could hinder a business when they go down.
      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Ian H
        Valued Member
        • May 2015
        • Melbourne

and they want to bring in driverless cars....yeah right. If that can happen to a simple key system, imagine the potential when a car is driverless.
        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Morville
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2008
          • Buxton Vic

The physical key that you put into a door lock doesn't work either, or don't these cars have such a thing nowadays?
          Peter

Comment

• geopaj
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Morville View Post
            The physical key that you put into a door lock doesn't work either, or don't these cars have such a thing nowadays?
            Peter
            Keyless entry and keyless start. - we’ve got a couple at work that don’t appear to have a physical key built into the fob (however, I haven’t taken the fob apart or bothered to read the manual.
            Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• stumagoo
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2014
              • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by Morville View Post
              Peter

most cars that use RF chips used to have a metal emergency key in the fob - its normally just a little blade that slides into a pocket it seems many are canning that idea now
              1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
              *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
              1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2016
                • Greater Sydney

Culprit found.

Comment

• Wazza999
                  • Jun 2018
                  • Canberra

When key-less entry systems and immobilisers were first becoming common in the early 1990's similar problems were a common occurrence at the Telstra Tower carpark at Black Mountain in Canberra. Happened to us in a Camry we had hired, it just wouldn't start until we were far enough away. I later discovered that the souvenir shop had a space blanket that they would wrap around the steering wheel to make a Faradaic cage so people could start their cars.

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

There's another problem with cars which don't require you to insert a key to start, as long as the key is in the car it's fine.....but.....

I was driving my wife's Mazda and had the key in my pocket. She was in the passenger seat and I was going to visit a friend and when we got there, I got out, she changed to the drivers side and away she went. No problem until.....it's one of there's new models and it turns off when you stop at the traffic lights. So she's on a major road, in the right turn lane and the car turns off and there's no way it will start again without the key.

You can imagine the phone call I got.
                    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2014
                      • Pakenham

Why are they called proximity keys when they are not, car should shut down when you are 2 feet away from it.
                      99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• Ian H
                        Valued Member
                        • May 2015
                        • Melbourne

Yep, that's what I thought too. Obviously in a Mazda, you only need the key to start it.

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2014
                          • Pakenham

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                          Yep, that's what I thought too. Obviously in a Mazda, you only need the key to start it.
                          I don't believe that problem is isolated to Mazda.
                          99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2017
                            • Sydney

My Fiesta ST (now gone) behaved the same way.

I had an EL Falcon until recently. Before I sold it, I could park in either 1 of 2 ninety-degree parking spaces out of about 15 in this section of the street right behind my work and I could guarantee that my keyless remote wouldn't work. There was something nearby / under the road surface / bouncing off the nearby building that rendered it useless and forced me to use the key each time. Worked perfectly everywhere else.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X