• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dunk_c
    • Nov 2007
    • Ipswich, Qld

Titan drawers - shelf strength?

Hi
    How much weight have people loaded on the non-sliding side of the 900mm Titan drawers, and for how long and over what terrain, without any damage?

I have asked Kings about the load capacity and whether it is similar to the other side, but they may not be inclined to provide an answer for obvious reasons.

The reason I ask is to determine if it can safely support one or two full 20L water jerrys, or a 100Ahr battery strapped down at the back of the unit, on a bumpy road.

The top shelf feels fairly light weight and not sure of the quality. There is not much support under the shelf. These types of loads would be concentrated at the back and not split as for the fridges.
    2006 Gen 4.1 LWB NS Pajero, manual. Bilstein Lovel 1” suspension, Dueller 697 17” tyres, Boos bash plates (3), Icom UHF with foldable roof rail mounted aerials, MM nudge bar with Stedi light bar, Rhino Rack Xtray, Kings awning, Kluger cargo barrier, custom iPad bracket, Alpine amplifier, Fosgate speakers, Titan drawers, battery system in the rear footwell, Matson BT battery monitor on starter battery, TP-13 TPMS. Mostly a commuter but ready to go for most adventures
  • Nab
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Perth

Strapped down I reckon they should be ok. I have them in my work Ute, I’ve had 6 20kg bags of rapid set concrete in there and it was solid as. Mind you not over Corrugations, just a few km on a gravel road.
    SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• dunk_c
      • Nov 2007
      • Ipswich, Qld

No one else got any comments?
      2006 Gen 4.1 LWB NS Pajero, manual. Bilstein Lovel 1” suspension, Dueller 697 17” tyres, Boos bash plates (3), Icom UHF with foldable roof rail mounted aerials, MM nudge bar with Stedi light bar, Rhino Rack Xtray, Kings awning, Kluger cargo barrier, custom iPad bracket, Alpine amplifier, Fosgate speakers, Titan drawers, battery system in the rear footwell, Matson BT battery monitor on starter battery, TP-13 TPMS. Mostly a commuter but ready to go for most adventures

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by dunk_c View Post
        No one else got any comments?
        Without seeing the installation it is impossible to give an answer, I would need to know exactly what the material specification the top shelf is made of and then load it up and check the deflections. Remember there is a huge difference between the static load deflection and the dynamic load deflection. What looks ok when statically loaded can quickly disintegrate with the dynamic loads over extended periods of corrugated roads or rough tracks.

If you are worried, you could cut a piece of 6.5mm-1/4" or 10mm-3/8th marine ply to rest across the top of the shelf to share the load and change the flex harmonics of the existing top shelf. Do not skimp on the ply, use only marine ply unless you are prepared to use 16mm or 19mm form ply.

OJ.
        Last edited by old Jack; 20-02-19, 03:39 PM.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• dunk_c
          • Nov 2007
          • Ipswich, Qld

Don’t really need and engineering analysis just some real world experience.

Comment

• Ian H
            Valued Member
            • May 2015
            • Melbourne

How about saying thanks anyway
            2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• dunk_c
              • Nov 2007
              • Ipswich, Qld

Sure - thanks , love the red face 😀
              Advice on adding supplementary load bearing member to reduce the bending moment in the top surface was wwelcomed, but this might not be necessary if people have been carrying bags of concrete with nill issues, perhaps.

I purposely didn’t ask the question from an engineer’s perspective because this tupe of commenst would like not have been very usefull in understanding the real world durability.

The Supacentre advised me todya that the non-sliding drawer top is likely to carry a battery without issue, but no guarantee.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X