• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Strings
    • Nov 2014
    • Mt Evelyn

Geocache

I will be off trekking for a little while soon and would like to keep the boys (and myself) occupied, so, I have been looking into geocaching.

My question is how does it all work?

I have signed up to geocache aus as a start and have downloaded an app to a Samsung tab as I wont be using a portable GPS unit.

One of my big issues is I will be out of network range and not sure where to go from here.

I was hoping it was going to be simple so if anyone has some answers please let me know.

Thanks
  • Strings
    • Nov 2014
    • Mt Evelyn

Just a follow up, does anyone have any info they can help me with.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2014
      • Wellington,New Zealand

if you have a gps in your tablet you dont need the mobile network.Thats all i really know .Geo caching is something i have always thought i would try but never have.
      2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
      BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Strings
        • Nov 2014
        • Mt Evelyn

Thanks KiwiNTpajero for the reply, yes I do have the GPS in the tablet.

Same as you I would like to start doing it but seem to go round in circles trying to decipher what Mr google is telling me.

Comment

• my.paj
          • Dec 2010
          • Tullamarine

I have done it with a Magellan's eXplorist handheld GPS it was simple just send it from the site but have seen it done the same way on a tablet, just try find some local ones to try.
          Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
          New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• pfbranco
            • Jun 2013
            • Adelaide

Hi,

The official geocaching.com app does not support offline if you dont pay for premium version.

You can use the free app c:geo wich support save caches to hunt offline.

After installing you need to enter your geocaching user and password from geocaching.com in the app settings

Basically while online you search for the interesting cache you want to find. Save it for off-line and then you only need the GPS on your tablet.

Attached some screenshoots

If you have more than one kid depending on age I suggest you have one device for each to use. Maybe also istall it on your smartphone.

The compass mode is the more fun to use and without internet its is the only one you have. It only shows direction and distance from the cache. Once you are 10 meters away from it, you have to find it without the GPS, look for hidden spots. Holes or below rocks. If you find it. usually wrapped in bags and inside a plastic container, Log your username on the cache paper log, leave it as it was for next person to have fun.

Geocaching is a fun activity outdoor to keep and interesting activity to do. Who doesn't like treasure hunting.

Have fun.
            Attached Files
            2000 NM Exceed 3.5 V6 Manual

Comment

• sharkcaver
              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
              • May 2009
              • Perth

Was going to mention C:geo but was pipped at the post. Problem being C:Geo is for the US site. The OP joined the .AU site, so it wont help there.

I just use a hand held, download the waypoints before hand and print out a hardcopy of the cache. A bit long winded and a bit of a pain, but not being a premium member, I find it the easiest way.

So sorry, I cant help you with aps for the .au site, but I'm sure there is something out there to suit.
              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Strings
                • Nov 2014
                • Mt Evelyn

Thanks guys, I'm going to sign up to geocache .com as well and give it all another go.

I reckon with what you all have suggested I can get it to work now.

Is there no end to the talent on this forum

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X