• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roley
    • Oct 2013
    • Bedfordale Perth

Cape Arid or Cape Le Grande ?

Heading down to Esperance in May,
    Staying in town for a couple of nights then heading out to Cape Arid or Le Grande, the first i think, to get further away from people.

I know there are only a few sites down there, that are first in best dressed.

Will be taking my trailer down, what are the tracks like? and is it ok for trailers.
    Can you camp on the beach if all spots are taken?

Suggestions welcome as i haven't been down there before.

Roley
    NT 2011 GLS, Firestone Airbags, Dual Batteries, Redarc SBI12 Isolator , BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Guards, Uniden UHF, Cooper ST MAXX 265/70/17, SPV Mk3.1, Rear Skid Plate, 28" Light Bar, Foxwing Awning, MX Ultraguage, Old Man Emu 2" Lift, Tracklander Roof Rack.
  • Nab
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Perth

Been to Cape Arid a few times. 2 campsites at Thomas River, the DEC one and the council one. We always stay at the DEC one. There are about 16 spots in the DEC camp, maybe 10-15 at the council camp. We much prefer the DEC one even those it costs a few $$$ more.

We usually get there about 10-11 January (peak season) and the most we have seen it is 3/4 full, usually 1/2.

We see people camping on the beach and some even just off the inland tracks a bit. Each time we got there all the good spots were taken, the rest was totally exposed to the wind etc. so we went back to the DEC site.

We have camped at Dunn Rocks too, we went there the second time and it was blowing a gale and wasn't letting up so we continued onto Thomas River.

We had a quick look at Poison Creek etc but with the kids (1,3 & 5 at the time) Thomas River was perfect for them.

If you go to Thomas River you can easily tow a trailer all the way to the end on the beach (29km of beautiful sand) at low tide, just a few soft spots around some rocks and some rocky inland tracks.

You will love it!!!!!
    SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Roley
      • Oct 2013
      • Bedfordale Perth

Thanks NAB.
      Looking on google maps which one is the DEC one?
      Is it the closest to the river or the one further away?

What is the river like, good for swimming , or is it the beach for the kids.

Thanks for the info.

I can't wait.
      NT 2011 GLS, Firestone Airbags, Dual Batteries, Redarc SBI12 Isolator , BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Guards, Uniden UHF, Cooper ST MAXX 265/70/17, SPV Mk3.1, Rear Skid Plate, 28" Light Bar, Foxwing Awning, MX Ultraguage, Old Man Emu 2" Lift, Tracklander Roof Rack.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2013
        • Sydney

I recall the river being not so inviting but if it's just for kids splashing about the shore it seemed ok. The water is quite dark due to the tannins from memory.
        NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• xflamedancer
          • Mar 2010
          • Perth

We just came back from a 10 day stay at Cape Arid and it was awesome. We stayed at a campsite called Thomas Fishery near Poison Creek, which has 3 campsites and we were lucky to snag two of them. We had enough room at the sites to put up our camper trailers and we were just back from the beach and sheltered by a line of trees. It also has a long drop and vehicle access to the beach. The track in is 9km of sand and some rock and easily doable with a little bit of clearance. There is also a random stretch about halfway along the track that you can get phone reception if you are with Telstra.

Downside: it is about 180ks from Esperence and the last fuel stop is Condlingup about 65km from Esperence, Diesel was around $1.54 p/lt. I had 3 X 10lt jerry cans so it wasn't a problem. There are definitely snakes as we saw one on the day we arrived, once we started using the genny though we didn't see any others. Its pot luck on the campsite at that spot, we got there at 10AM and got two spots, within an hour 3 other groups turned up.

There are two other campgrounds open at Poison Creek,the Poison Creek one and Jondee, Seal Bay was closed because of the bushfire damage. This is good base for exploring Isralite Bay as well as you are almost there.

Hope this helps
          The two most abundant things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity
          Harlan Ellison

Comment

• Nab
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2012
            • Perth

DEC one is furthest from the beach. River is for the kiddies, but there are plenty of spots on the beach to hang for the day.
            SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
            NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Roley
              • Oct 2013
              • Bedfordale Perth

Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

• paj whisperer
                • May 2013
                • Ellenbrook

We were down Esperance way in January and you won't be disappointed. The Lucky Bay campsite in Cape Le Grande was under construction and can't remember when the ranger said it was due to be completed. Not that many places to camp within Cape Le Grande but Hellfire Bay has a great BBQ and is perfect for watching the sunset. Frenchmans Peak is well worth the climb. There are more areas to camp within Cape Arid, people were camping in the sand dunes. Cape Arid, as already mentioned, is further away, so will need to be more self sufficient. Easy 4WD on the beach with only minor soft patches in certain areas. Worth the reward. Heaps to do and explore. Definitely on our list to go back again.
                Adrian
                2010 NT GLS - Maxxis 980 Bravo A/T 275/65R17, ARB Bullbar&Tow Bar Pack, Rhino Rack Platform, Sunseeker II Awning, Milford Cargo Barrier, Sandgrabba Mats,TJM Airtec Snorkel, Dr Air Pro 150L/m, Oricom UHF280, 1100mm TREDS, SPVi EGR Module Mk3.1 Plug and Play, Scorpion Quad Diff Breather Kit, Bushskinz Under Body Protection, Runva 11XP, Red Arc Dual battery Setup, Donaldson Fuel Filter, Rear Cargo Drawers Custom made,Batman Lights
                Next Project: Rear Gull Wing windows

Comment

• Axis
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2011
                  • Highett Vic

We had a few nights in Cape Aid at the end of last May. We towed the camper trailer to Seal creek and were the only ones there. The only person we saw over a few days was a guy picking up a boat that had come in at poison creek asking for directions. No issues towing the trailer in. Seal Creek is a donation campsite with drop toilets.

Seal Creek was amazing, just a bit of a walk to the beach. I went fishing at Poison Creek beach - watch out for the 2nd half of the beach towards the rocks. My advice is to take the track behind the beach as the end is coarse wet sand and I was down to the axles in no time - was an hour of repeated recovery to get back to the firmer sand.

Jorndee Creek (not Thomas fishery as I initially wrote) looked nice but with only a few sites you don't want to arrive late and find there are people there. Also if I recall you can't loop out so need to back out of the camp area.

We didn't stay at cape Le grand but drove through and we were glad we went to Cape Arid. We did need a lot longer to explore though.
                  Last edited by Axis; 09-03-16, 12:07 PM.
                  07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X