X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Endorphin
    • Jun 2007
    • Australia

I did as you and Pat suggested and tightened them up until there was no more thread. The Lovells were the medium duty CFR90's. I've since helped a mate do his and all we had to do was remove one of the control arm bolts.

Comment

• Ridgeback
      • Jan 2008
      • Sydney

Good work. No more knocking about up front anymore?
      Home Base Sydney, NM GLS 3.5L, LPG, Dual Batt, Milford Barrier, Rhinos, Lovells 50mm with Bilsteins.

Comment

• Endorphin
        • Jun 2007
        • Australia

All good now. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Endorphin
          • Jun 2007
          • Australia

Originally posted by Ridgeback View Post
          For info you can slip the pre-assembled strut out and back in without removing the lower wish bone i.e. all you have to do is undo the three bolts holding the upper wishbone to the upper ball joint then slip the assembled strut through the upper wishbone. Some don't like doing it this way, your choice. Beats cracking the wishbone bolts undone.
          Ok guys, having issues again. The Bilstein "seat" which came with the strut is rubbing against the spring bracket assembly (which is causing it to squeak). Seems I can't tighten it as far as yours because the collar is preventing it going any further.

Can you confirm the order of assembly. I've gone with the following in order from top to bottom:
          • Nyloc nut
          • Bilstein "seat" (not OE seat)
          • Collar
          • Upper bush 1
          • Spring bracket assembly
          • Spring upper pad
          • Upper bush 2
          • Cup assembly
          • Strut

The instructions that came with the strut are useless . As the strut is type 2 it just says to use the original mounting parts + the Bilstein mounting parts (the only part that came with the strut was the metal disc which I've assumed is the replacement seat based on your photos).

Either the collar goes or the Bilstein "seat" is used to replace the cup assembly (as in the Type 6 illustration). Any ideas?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Endorphin; 07-11-09, 05:04 PM. Reason: Added NM manual diagram

Comment

• Endorphin
            • Jun 2007
            • Australia

Anyone got any advice? Need to put the car back together again...

Comment

• Ridgeback
              • Jan 2008
              • Sydney

Ok, it appears you have the 'upper bushes' 1 and 2 reversed. See another photo below. This is the exact order of assembly. It appears to be different to the Mitsu service manual diagram but in fact it isnt: it is just the depiction of the bushes which is misleading.

Note on my photo below the pattern of the bumpers against the Spring Bracket Assembly. Yes use the new Bilstein seat.

So according to your legend on the my old photo order is:

- Nyloc nut
              - New Bilstein seat
              - Upper Bush No. 2
              - SBA
              - Upper Bush No. 1
              - Cup (inverted)
              - Strut.

That is it- sounds like this was the prob. You will be smiling in a few hours. Let us know how you go.
              Attached Files
              Home Base Sydney, NM GLS 3.5L, LPG, Dual Batt, Milford Barrier, Rhinos, Lovells 50mm with Bilsteins.

Comment

• Ridgeback
                • Jan 2008
                • Sydney

Here is a better quality photo. NOTE THE PATTERNS OF THE BUMPERS ON THE SBA AND ASSEMBLE ACCORDINGLY.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Endorphin
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Australia

Thanks Ridgeback. I actually meant the other way around. Problem between chair and keyboard...

So basically you just replaced the seat with the one that came from Bilstein and used all the other part from the original setup. Correct?

Comment

• Ridgeback
                    • Jan 2008
                    • Sydney

The only new components were:
                    - Nyloc nut
                    - Seat
                    - Spring
                    - Strut

Yes the instructions are crap. Like I said earlier, you really need to compress the spring sufficiently to allow all the bushes and so the nut to sit nice and comfy.

Comment

• outbackogre
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2010
                      • Melbourne

Hi everyone, I'm about to order the Lovell/Blistein combo from BushSkinz, and would like some clarification about installation (I expect to have the coil-over-strut install done by a local mechanic). This thread is most helpful. However, in Endorfin's order of assembly list there seems to be no mention of the spring upper pad (item 6 on the strut schematic in the workshop man). This item is also absent in Ridgeback's list. Is the pad necessary in a Lovell/Bilstein setup?
                      My friends call me Rob; you can call me .... Rob.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------
                      MY12 NW GL DiD auto. 2" MD Lovells/Bilstein lift. Bushskinz underbody protection. Home made rear platform with sliding boxes above and lots of space underneath.

Comment

• Brettm357
                        • Nov 2009

Just had mine done and they used the original seat in place of the cup and they didnt use the lower spring pad so the spring is sitting on the aluminium - is this going to be ok
                        2001 NM EXCEED 3.5L AUTO, 2 INCH LIFT WITH BILSTEIN/LOVELLS SD RAISED COMBO, K&N 60L LONG RANGE TANK, ALLOY BULLBAR. ARB COMPRESSOR, PIRAHNA BATTERY TRAY, PROJECTA ISOLATOR, DUAL BATTERIES - ON LIST IS ENGEL FRIDGE, REAR WORK LIGHTS, FRONT DIFF LOCK, EXTRACTORS & HIGH FLOW CAT

Comment

• outbackogre
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2010
                          • Melbourne

Brett, that doesn't sound right to me, but I'm a novice with this myself. Hopefully someone can answer both of our questions. Cheers.
                          My friends call me Rob; you can call me .... Rob.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------
                          MY12 NW GL DiD auto. 2" MD Lovells/Bilstein lift. Bushskinz underbody protection. Home made rear platform with sliding boxes above and lots of space underneath.

Comment

• green monster
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2008
                            • Adelaide

i used the original ones in the rear, but after a lot of heavy work ,one of them split and the spring was on the metal, I replaced it with a 10mm Urethayne spacer from the local 4by shop, worked a treat and gave me an extra bit of lift too,,,,, But i think you may be refering the front ones ?
                            cam
                            NX ARB bar totally stock,, for now and the trusty old NM Exceed ,Injected LPG. ARB Sahara bar 12000lb Tigerz11winch,Lightforce genisis ,2x stealth LED bars, rear LED reverse light, GU Patrol black wheels 32"BFGs ,custom alloy roof rack with twin awnings,, snorkel, Milford barrier, custom rear storage ,triple batteries,fridge slide,Pioneer touchscreen unit, 50L Waeco,UHF,lots of scratches down the sides, new super powerful engine!,bash plates, 3" lift,polyairs Dobinsons,extractors ,Maxtrax

Comment

• Brettm357
                              • Nov 2009

Yes front shocks is my concern
                              2001 NM EXCEED 3.5L AUTO, 2 INCH LIFT WITH BILSTEIN/LOVELLS SD RAISED COMBO, K&N 60L LONG RANGE TANK, ALLOY BULLBAR. ARB COMPRESSOR, PIRAHNA BATTERY TRAY, PROJECTA ISOLATOR, DUAL BATTERIES - ON LIST IS ENGEL FRIDGE, REAR WORK LIGHTS, FRONT DIFF LOCK, EXTRACTORS & HIGH FLOW CAT

Comment

• renth
                                • Sep 2007
                                • Perth WA

Originally posted by Ridgeback View Post
                                Just out of interest, what springs did you fit up front? If they were CFR90HD's which are thicker diameter springs than the CFR90's I fitted, then perhaps this is why you had issues fitting them through the wishbones. If so we can let everyone here know that CFR90 Lovells can fit through the wishbones and CFR90HD's are not worth trying.
                                I'm attempting to fit the CFR90HD's tomorrow (plus SD Lovells at the back, Lovells Gas Legend struts/shocks all round).

Any update to whether they will fit through the wishbones?

In any event, if I'm successful in installing them, either through the wishbone or by removing it, I'll let everyone know whether it's possible or not.

Also, you take the coil compressors off the assembly before offering it up for installation don't you? I know after doing the job this will seem like a stupid question. That little nylock nut has to take a lot of tension, I can just see it flying off as soon as the coil compressors are removed without the weight of the car on them.
                                NP DiD Auto GLX, Front - Lovells HD Springs/Bilstein Struts, Back - Lovells SD Springs/Lovells Shocks, Polyairs, Alloy bull bar, Sidesteps, Tow bar, Rhino roof rack.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X