X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oscaroo
    • Dec 2017
    • Sydney

The big winch bracket on the smartbar is not present as heavily in the non-winch smartbar.

I attach the install instructions
    Attached Files

Comment

• GTP
      • Mar 2015
      • Canberra

Originally posted by keenkean View Post
      I have TJM outback on my NX exceed, looks great but big bonus is it retains factory headlight washers unlike the ARB which requires further work. It’s also 63mm tube vs 50mm of ARB. I would happily buy the TJM again over ARB. The winch is hidden nicely behind a numberplate panel that lifts easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Could you give me an idea of where the original bar is cut to fit the bull bar. I'm always a bit cautious when people have to cut into panel work. I've seen a few very ordinary install jobs in the past on some bars. (My understanding is that the original bar is cut rather than the lower section being removed as in a factory bar.) I had a look at WhipIt's photo's, but they didn't show the area where the original bar is cut.

Comment

• keenkean
        • Jan 2016
        • Central Coast NSW

I can take some photos close up of it installed, just confirming when you say original bar, you’re talking about where the original plastic front bumper is cut?

I might also have the TJM instructions too. Will have a look

Comment

• GTP
          • Mar 2015
          • Canberra

Originally posted by keenkean View Post
          I can take some photos close up of it installed, just confirming when you say original bar, you’re talking about where the original plastic front bumper is cut?

I might also have the TJM instructions too. Will have a look

Yes that's correct, the original plastic/chrome front end. I understand they cut the guard flare on each side, and along the lower front of the bar and chrome work just below the headlight washers, (NX Exceed). It probably depends a lot on which TJM shop dies the install, but I'm interested in how neat the finish is on the side flares and across the front. I'm guessing that most of the front cut would be hidden behind the new bar work, but I don't want a mess back there. I've been looking everywhere trying to find someone with a TJM bar locally, (Canberra) but no luck. Every other make, but no TJM.

Edit: I'm also interested in what they remove/cut from inside the guards (those black plastic panels that are clipped inside the front guards to keep sand/mud out of the front end).
          Last edited by GTP; 20-05-19, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• Satman
            • Aug 2016
            • Sydney

Here are some pics. TJM Paramatta installed mine. I think they did a neat job of it and could not be helpful enough. You can see image of LHS there is a black trim installed where it was cut and also there is a trim installed in he middle which really can't be seen. Measured how far below the bar it goes at the windscreen washer to give you an idea where it sits. Hope this helps. If you need more specific photo i;ll see what I can do.
            Attached Files
            NX GLS MY16 Auto: TJM Bull Bar | Paddlle Shift & P-Mate | MMTowbar | Spare Lift Kit | SPVi Module | Torque Pro App | Motorola UHF | Icom IC7000 HF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Boo’s Bash Plate complete set | PX07 Boss Air Compressor | Lightbar | SC-80 & AGM 100A rear seat well | Bonnet struts | Custom built Drawer & Fridge slide.

Comment

• GTP
              • Mar 2015
              • Canberra

According to TJM, the bar for the NX weighs in at 79kg. For those that have one of these fitted, or a similar weighted bar, do you still have the standard suspension and if so, how has ride height handling, braking etc been impacted. I've been told that a suspension upgrade would not be necessary, but 80 kg seems a lot to add over the front wheels.
              Last edited by GTP; 21-05-19, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                Valued Member
                • May 2017
                • Sydney

Originally posted by GTP View Post
                According to TJM, the bar for the NX weighs in at 79kg. For those that have one of these fitted, or a similar weighted bar, do you still have the standard suspension and if so, how has ride height handling, braking etc been impacted. I've been told that a suspension upgrade would not be necessary, but 80 kg seems a lot to add over the front wheels.
                I can measure my ride height (wheel TDC to arch) with an ARB Deluxe bar plus winch, spotties on standard suspension with 96,000km on them and that may give you an idea. From memory it’s 10mm lower than factory height. When factory suspension is shot I’ll hopefully do a 2” lift with heavy duty shocks.

Comment

• Satman
                  • Aug 2016
                  • Sydney

With the TJM bar I have not done suspension as yet but will wait till need it. It on had 22,000km on it when I had it installed now 63,000km and still running strong. No real change in handling but have latley noticed when braking heavily a bit more of a dip - you know it's there, but most of the time handles much the same. It measures 500mm from center of wheel to the guard on front and 505mm from center of wheel to guard rear. I have second 100A battery in front, 100A AGM battery and drawers plus 60L fridge in rear. Hope this helps.
                  NX GLS MY16 Auto: TJM Bull Bar | Paddlle Shift & P-Mate | MMTowbar | Spare Lift Kit | SPVi Module | Torque Pro App | Motorola UHF | Icom IC7000 HF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Boo’s Bash Plate complete set | PX07 Boss Air Compressor | Lightbar | SC-80 & AGM 100A rear seat well | Bonnet struts | Custom built Drawer & Fridge slide.

Comment

• GTP
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Canberra

Originally posted by Satman View Post
                    With the TJM bar I have not done suspension as yet but will wait till need it. It on had 22,000km on it when I had it installed now 63,000km and still running strong. No real change in handling but have latley noticed when braking heavily a bit more of a dip - you know it's there, but most of the time handles much the same. It measures 500mm from center of wheel to the guard on front and 505mm from center of wheel to guard rear. I have second 100A battery in front, 100A AGM battery and drawers plus 60L fridge in rear. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that, it gives me an idea of what to expect, (I think). I have a 2015 Exceed, (85,000km), with the 3rd row seat removed, and a factory tow bar, otherwise standard at the moment. I have a custom bench and a bit of gear in the rear, 60kg at a guess, may be a bit more. My measurements are 495 on the left, (front and back) and 492 on the right, (front and back) Not sure what to make of the difference to yours.

I know there was another thread discussing this topic so I'll have to find it and have a re-read. I might also empty out the rear and see how much I have actually accumulated back there. While I might get a surprise at the weight in the rear, it doesn't really explain the front clearance. If installing an 80kg bar dropped this further, it may be an issue?

Comment

• Morten
                      • Jul 2018
                      • Aberdeen NSW

Just browsing...I got the dealer to fit an ECB big tube polished alloy bar on the wife's wedding anniversary present,mainly because She said she didn't want an ugly black thing on the front ...very neat fit, maybe dropped the front 10mm, no noticeable difference in handling or braking....looks flash as, but OMG...keeping it looking good is a pain in the arms....
                      Attached Files

Comment

• GTP
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Canberra

Originally posted by Morten View Post
                        Just browsing...I got the dealer to fit an ECB big tube polished alloy bar on the wife's wedding anniversary present,mainly because She said she didn't want an ugly black thing on the front ...very neat fit, maybe dropped the front 10mm, no noticeable difference in handling or braking....looks flash as, but OMG...keeping it looking good is a pain in the arms....
                        I gave my wife a new electric hammer drill for her birthday

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Sydney

Within a few hundred metres driving from ARB with a new deluxe bar fitted, it was pretty obvious the suspension needed addressing. This was not unexpected though but the feel with the bar hanging off the front was, to me, uncomfortable.
                          NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Poite91
                            • Jan 2017
                            • Adelaide

When I got the ARB Deluxe bar fitted to my NX it changed how the car handled and the front would dive under braking. The front dropped around 15mm in height as well. I beleave some of the handling characteristics would of been helped if I had a wheel alignment after fitting the bar. But as I was going to do a suspension lift I didn't bother.

2016 NX Pajero GLX, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar, Bush Skinz underbody protection, AR32 Intensity Driving Lights, ARB Twin Compressor, Icom Pro 400, Old Man Emu suspension, Kumho MT51 tyre's

Comment

• MyExceed
                              • May 2014
                              • Hobart, Tas

If anyone who has fitted their own bullbar has any photos of the crash cans or front crossmember (after the bumper and grill were removed) I'd appreciate them posting them up. I'm trying to figure out the differences between the NS and NX front end structure
                              Mark

NS Exceed V6, xrox bar with domin8r 12000lb winch, The Ultimate Suspension 2" lift, 265/70/17 BFG A/T, LED spots, LED fog lights, 40" roof mounted lightbar, OCAM alloy rack, dual batteries, Boos bash plates, diff breathers, Garmin 67LMT GPS, Tyredog TPMS, Uniden UHF, Engel MR40f in rear drawer system, external phone antennae, cargo barrier, dual side awnings, RTT, shovel holder, spare wheel lift

Comment

• Stinky
                                • Jul 2007
                                • Gladstone, qld

Originally posted by Morten View Post
                                Get yourself some California Custom Purple aluminium polish and got to town. One of the best and easiest to apply ally polish out.
                                The story so far.....03 NP with fruit -Sold.
                                My15 NX. ARB Steel Bar. LED spots. Dobinson MRR lift. Outback Exhaust Fat Pipe. Intervolt DC Pro Dual Battery setup. Provent. SPi module. MM4X4 Lockup Mate, Paddle Mate & Paddle Shift. Mako 12,000 winch with Dyneema.

I'm the boss of my marriage.....my wife said i could say that!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X