• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stumagoo
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Perth WA S.O.R

The screaming warthog........

I have been without my old NJ for some time now and the NL build is taking its time but slowly its getting there...... I thought I would show how it has progressed so far....

the rear storage...

The engine mods.... - there is to be a water to air intercooler added in the near future and a 3.8 and if I can squeeze it up boost from 6 to 9psi although not sure about that yet.

and to fit the intercooler I needed some space ----

Yes the snorkel is a bunnings special..... but as I dont have a stock air box this will do me until I can get a stainless one made. but before that is the intercooler and a 3" exhaust
    1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
    *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
    1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back
  • cruisn06
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2011
    • Perth WA

How are you compensating for fuel?

also in regards to the 6 to 9 psi boost... JUST GONNA SEND IT
    07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

• stumagoo
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2014
      • Perth WA S.O.R

NL ecu is tunable- new fuel tables and timing to allow for boost.... bigger injectors will be preferable
      to run 9psi though
      1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
      1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• disco stu
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2018
        • Wollongong

Interesting to see, cheers for posting.

Is there any point with a snorkel on a petrol engine? I just figured any water up high enough to go into intake would cause troubles with the ignition anyway

Comment

• stumagoo
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Perth WA S.O.R

was having issues with heat soak and air supply..... - I had a K&N pod filter in there originally - also the intake noise with the current setup is crazy and having the intake in the engine bay made it worse. - In the fender worse again, this helps reduce it a little. But I am looking to a custom airbox as well as some other mods to lower the intake noise. (it really needs the throttlebody moving to the inlet side of the charger but that is a major PITA)

Comment

• aussieguy
            • Oct 2015
            • Brisbane

So SC14 charger?
            05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
            02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• stumagoo
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2014
              • Perth WA S.O.R

Yep SC14. It's running about 2-1 on the crank which is putting it at its limit rpm wise. No idea how the commodore guys can run 12 psi on these I figure they must be running at around 3.5- 1 on their pulleys but it's still under $1000 for the charger installed so I am happy the low end torque is off the hook on the soft sand I can chug around at 700-1000 rpm Luke a diesel in areas where I could never have even dreamed of it before

Comment

• cruisn06
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2011
                • Perth WA

What are you tuning with? I see hptuners finally added mitsu to there list.
                07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

• stumagoo
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2014
                  • Perth WA S.O.R

Ecu flash and an openport 2 cable from tactrix

Comment

• Nab
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Perth

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                    Interesting to see, cheers for posting.

Is there any point with a snorkel on a petrol engine? I just figured any water up high enough to go into intake would cause troubles with the ignition anyway
                    If you have a snorkel the ignition may have troubles but drying it out will fix most issues.

If you don’t have a snorkel, ignition issues are miniscual compared to bending a rod due to water in the intake.
                    SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• stumagoo
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2014
                      • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by Nab View Post
                      If you have a snorkel the ignition may have troubles but drying it out will fix most issues.

If you don’t have a snorkel, ignition issues are miniscual compared to bending a rod due to water in the intake.

thats very true however with the lift on mine the stock intake is easily over a meter off the deck..... I was never ever going that deep into the water..... so this is as mentioned to deal with other issues.... and it has helpd with them for sure.

Comment

• disco stu
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2018
                        • Wollongong

Good point. But are you really going to bend a rod with water intake on a petrol engine?

Comment

• stumagoo
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2014
                          • Perth WA S.O.R

we had a guy here put the rod out the side of the block from water in the intake..... drained the oil (it filled with water through said hole) and refilled with what we had available in the group - the wagon proceeded to not only get out of the state forrest (20 odd kms) but half way home - another 20 odd kms - that was when the engine siezed

there is a video of it on facebook in the WA paj page - it is Rudi in a NL in a big hole - he starts it to winch himself out and there is smoke everywhere.... I would not be surprised if half the people here have actually seen it

Comment

• disco stu
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2018
                            • Wollongong

Fair enough, cheers. I might be mistaken, but I thought I remembered being taught specifically that diesel will bend a rod but petrol will just stop running. I wasn't sure, hence the question

Pretty keen to see that video. I had a look, the only pages it looked like it could be you had to join so I held off.

Sounds like they are a tougher engine than I thought given that treatment. I'm assuming it was running on 5 cylinders once that rod was out the side

Comment

• stumagoo
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2014
                              • Perth WA S.O.R

be surprised if it was even running on 5 - sounded more like 3 or 4 when it finally got going... it had help on the worst sections where we were worried of not getting it through

video link below - flooded gen 2 is around the 7 min 30 - yes the bonnet is a diesel one but the engine is v6 and the snorkel...... well we found out he had removed the airfilter element - this meant the airbox was not sealed tight and the snorkel was pointless

A day trip to Julimar and BBQ at Rudi's for Scott, before he heads out on his lap around Australia. What could possibly go wrong?Music:Bad Moon Rising - Cree...
                              Last edited by stumagoo; 17-02-19, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X