• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Poite91
    • Jan 2017
    • Adelaide

The good old debate. 15" vs 16" then 16" vs 17" now it's 17" vs 18"

The debate is closer than you think 17" with stock size 265/65r17 is the same tyre to rim as a 18" with a one size bigger tyre 265/65r18. With the stock size 265/60r18 it's only 13mm tyre to rim difference. The problem is trying to find light truck tyres in 18" is a lot harder than 17" and the cost!

2016 NX Pajero GLX, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar, Bush Skinz underbody protection, AR32 Intensity Driving Lights, ARB Twin Compressor, Icom Pro 400, Old Man Emu suspension, Kumho MT51 tyre's
    Last edited by Poite91; 30-06-19, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• Mananan
      • May 2016
      • South Africa

I was fortunate enough to swap my 18" rims for 17". My 18" Cooper Discoverer AT3 side walls cracked on both sides of every tyre, despite having nursed them so carefully. My feelings are that there is less side wall to compress when deflating the 18", perhaps this is why the Coopers cracked....?

Now running Michelin's on the 17", let's see what happens!
      Last edited by Mananan; 15-08-19, 02:57 AM.

Comment

• stephenb489
        • Aug 2008
        • Geelong

17" Steel Rims v 18" Factory

I purchased 17" steel rims from new at trade price, I reckon they were about $150, had them for a while now. I use them regularly when going offroad. My Mag wheels still look pretty good for their age and there's no way I could have travelled those tracks I have with even the BFG KO2's I run on the 18" Mag rims.

The steel rims have been a good investment in keeping the mags looking good when it's on the bitumen. The steel rims do come up 2nd hand if you watch out.

Steve
        Steve

NW '13 White VRX - F Diff Lock, Comp mounted in ARB Deluxe Bar, ChipIt DC with EGT Controller & EGR off module, Tech Trek drawers, AirLift airbags with wireless controlled comp, 2" lift with HD Lovells & Koni 90 & 88's, LR Auxilliary tank, Dual Battery, Redarc Controller, Runva Winch, Bushskinz Sidesteps, Scan Gauge, X-Ray 220 HID lights, Uniden RM-770, Cooper Discoverer AT3 265/65/18, Diff/Trans/Engine temp sensors with digital readout, HawksHead TPMS, Tekonsha P3 EBC & more.

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

From my understanding, 17" tyres are more readily available in remote places than 18" ones. Depending on where you intend to go, this may be an important factor.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X