• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amec
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Wamberal

Adventure kings swag

Anyone got one of the swags like the linked item below? Love my swag but at times feel more than a bit claustrophobic. Thinking the self supporting thing will help with that.

Keen to know thoughts from anyone who has one and used one.

PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.
  • Aussie_Dan
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Cairns

I have the Roo Systems version, before they swapped to the 'Adventure Kings' branding.
    As far as I am aware, the product is identical with the exception of the branding.
    One of my poles snapped before I even got the chance to use the swag - it was setup on the back lawn so I could wet down and season the canvas. However SupaCenter were good about it and sent out a pair of updated type poles no questions asked. It seems that it was well known that there had been a shitty batch of poles made but that was probably 2 years ago now.
    The zips work well and the stitching is fine, the canvas is nice and thick, it is super dark in there during the day and I've slept in it during rain - no leaks.
    It is a pig of a thing to roll up and mine didn't come with any straps to tie it up with when rolled. I bought some Ebay D ring 'Yoga straps' like this to tie mine up: https://www.stretchnow.com.au/yoga-a...ps/yoga-straps
    Unless you roll it up really tight (need 2x adults) you would never get it back in the bag!
    Overall I am very happy with mine given the cost.
    Cheers, Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• sharkcaver
      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
      • May 2009
      • Perth

If you get claustrophobic in a double swag, you should give the game away. Its also 1500mm wide, meaning folded length is going to be quite long. A mate has a different branded double about 1400 wide. He reckons its a right pain to carry. If you plan to carry on the roof, then its probably not an issue.

I've been using one of these for 12 months now, and I cant fault it:

Online Camping Australia, Australia's most trusted source for 4x4, caravanning and camping in the great Australian outdoors. Discover quality camping gear, outdoors products, guides to campsite accommodation and top attractions for the whole family to enjoy under the great Aussie sun rays outdoors.

So much room its not funny. At 900 wide, it can go on the back seat or rear cargo area.

Mind you, I waited until they came up on special and payed half the RRP.

Tell you a funny story though. I bought 2 of them. Got them home and both didn't have a runner on the headflap window. They had the zip, just no runner.....

Dodgy indians. So that makes them sort of useless. Took a bit of ginning around on my part, but I eventually got 2 at the special price and all runners were attached.
      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• P4J3R0
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2013
        • Brisbane

ARB skydoam for me. Just the single as I always figured I could throw it on the roof rack if I was up north with bitey things on the ground.

It's nice having a quality bit of gear. It's very well made and never had any issues with it. Always stay dry in it, can sit up, read pajero forums on the iPad, easy to pack up, easy to carry.

I had another brand previously and it was always a pain. Pain to carry, pain to set up, pain to sleep in, pain to pack up. I always justified it as I only spend a few nights in it a year no point spending more than a $250.

Now I wish I had have spent the money years ago. In the past 12 months I have spent about a 20 nights under the canvas. Mostly boys weekends. It's so much better having a nice comfy bed at the end of a long day in the heated leather seats of the pajero.

I got it with the storm bag, chair $ toasty maker at a camping show for about $360. Which is not much off the rrp, but the extras were a nice touch.
        NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• amec
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Wamberal

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
          If you get claustrophobic in a double swag, you should give the game away. .
          Never said mine was a double swag. If I can camp more comfortably, why not. No prize for being the most uncomfortable.

Thanks for the advice, so apart from packing up kind of large. They are a decent swag. I usually setup under my awning anyway to keep rain, dew, ice from gathering on it.
          PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• sharkcaver
            • May 2009
            • Perth

Originally posted by amec View Post
            Never said mine was a double swag..
            I'm aware of that. What I was trying to say was: if you get claustrophobic in a double swag...such as the one you linked.......Then best you get a tent.

I wasn't sure if you were aware the linked one was a double, you made no mention of the fact, only it is self supporting. Hence I gave you an idea of their rolled length in comparison to a large domed single like I have. You don't need a double for roominess, unless you have someone else in there with you. But only you can decide what is roomy and what is claustrophobic. Its a personal thing.

The skydome is even larger than mine. I most likely would have purchased one of those, however I am not a fan of PVC bases. I spent about 35 nights in mine last year, and never once did I feel closed in.
            MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• amec
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2015
              • Wamberal

Packed size isn't really an issue. If I'm using the swag it usually means it is me and one other in the car going dirt bike riding for the weekend so plenty of space in the car. If the family are coming the camper trailer follows us everywhere.

I might give one a try.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

• Jimboy
                • May 2015
                • Mornington Peninsula, Vic.

Originally posted by amec View Post
                Anyone got one of the swags like the linked item below? Love my swag but at times feel more than a bit claustrophobic. Thinking the self supporting thing will help with that.

Keen to know thoughts from anyone who has one and used one.

http://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/prod...uble-swag.html
                I'm glad you posted this as I was on the lookout for either a small tent or large swag.

Ended up dropping in to their Lilydale warehouse to have a look and picked one up. For $209 can't argue on the value. Have mine set up on the back lawn for some seasoning. Despite their claims that
                it comes with everything required it will need a couple of extra guy ropes at each end to pick up the side wall slack. But that's a relatively minor quibble and will end up adding to overall stability if winds
                picks up I guess.

Looking at getting something like interlocking foam squares to have as a base to set it up on. Will also add an extra layer of egg cup foam mattress topping as the mattress provided is on the light side.

Cheers,
                Jim.
                4WD Neophyte In a 2013 Pajero NW GLX; taking me places to appreciate the nature of Oz- https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimonearth/

Comment

• GOSSAMER
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • doncaster east vic

Its probably a bit late but i have one, i got it for $240 inc 10 magazines. I find the mattress a touch uncomfy although im a big bloke and if i had to spend any more than a couple of nights in it i would buy some foam etc. Its well big enough for the 2 of us but it is big when rolled up but no bigger than having 2 swags.
                  Back from the Dark side
                  NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• amec
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Wamberal

Thanks for that. I usually add a self inflating mattress under the foam on my current swag.

Comment

• Teamjet
                      • Jun 2015
                      • Sydney

I'm in the market at the moment for swag. Trying to decide on a single or double - any thoughts or comments? I think I only need a single, but the doubles are not that much more $$.

If I am camping in one spot for a few nights, Ill take the tent instead. The swag will only be a for overnighters?

Comment

• sharkcaver
                        • May 2009
                        • Perth

Originally posted by Teamjet View Post
                        I'm in the market at the moment for swag. Trying to decide on a single or double - any thoughts or comments? I think I only need a single, but the doubles are not that much more $$.

If I am camping in one spot for a few nights, Ill take the tent instead. The swag will only be a for overnighters?
                        Doubles are generally about 1400 in length. A single about 900. If you don't plan to throw the double on the roof, this may be an issue. Loving my boab center pole dome, its very roomy. I cant guarantee its water proofness though, I'm usually under an awning on a stretcher bed.

My Journeys

Comment

• stevemc181
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • Thornlie/Perth

$179 for the adventure kings swag at the moment, can't complain about the price that's for sure! I like the look of the Jet Tent bunker for single camping, but the missus is just about always with me on trips. I'll stick with my instant up Malamoo Tent for now I think, or at least until we eventually buy a Tvan.
                          2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                          3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• GOSSAMER
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2008
                            • doncaster east vic

Kings double in its bag is about 1500 long so it wont fit across the back seat. if its just you get a King single, if you are a bit claustrophobic get a dome one.
                            Back from the Dark side
                            NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• Dicko1
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2014
                              • Cairns, FNQ

Good quality self inflating air mattress is a necessity in a swag. Have yet to see a swag with a good mattress unless its a 75mm high density mattress. Thats what is necessary for a reasonable nights sleep for me. All people are different and lighter people dont need as much cushioning. This swag wouldnt be much choip in the top end heat either.
                              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X