• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lance
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2009
    • Melbourne

Replacing all belts 3.2DiD

Coming up to Easter I'll be having a major service done and I want to replace all belts beforehand.
    Is there any tricky things I should know about before I lose some fingers ?

Genuine or Non Genuine Belts

Approx cost ?
    2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
    2009 VW Crafter motorhome
  • amr75wcr
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2009
    • Sunny Coast

Lossen the 12mm locking bolt at the front of the alternator, slacken the adjusting bolt below the radiator hose. To remove the A/C belt lossen the bolt in the front of the ider pulley, slacken the adjusting bolt behind the pulley below the power steering pump. Remove belts and fit new ones tension the belts and tighten everyting up.
    From memory cost was below $50.00 aftermarrket.
    Attached Files
    04 NP DID GLX ARB Steel Bullbar 2" ARB/King Springs, Billies, Warn Winch, Rhino Track Mount Racks, Rola Basket, Rallye 4000 HID, UHF, Reverse camera, Custom Console, Fridge Slide and Rear Door Table, DVD Screen, 40lt Engel, Dual Battery Sytem with Auto Isolator, Cargo Barrier, polaris gps, Sat Phone, BFG A/Ts, Foxwing awning, ARB Locker, Bush Skinz sliders $ inter plate, 3" exhaust chip, custom bar & twin tyres

And a PB Challenger with a list if goodies getting as long as the Paj

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2010
      • Cairns

Replaced my belts this afternoon.
      Car has done 105K and glad I chose to do the belts before going away on our big trip up north next month. All 3 of the belts were badly perished and starting to crack.

The belts I used were:
      Alternator (2 belts) 11A0965
      Air-conditioning 13A0915

I got the part numbers from the Bosch catalog online. The aircon belt I got was a Bosch and the 2 alternator belts were Dayco belts. They were about $12 each.
      With the sizes above, all fitted easily and took me about 30 to 40 minutes to change over. Adding to AMR's post above, the locking and adjustment bolts for the aircon pulley are both 14mm. As stated, the alternator locking and adjustment bolts are 12mm.
      The only access you need is to remove the top (half round) part of the fan shroud. It just unclips and pulls out. All the work is done from the top.

Cheers, Dan.
      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Ohlins
        • Sep 2010
        • SW French Pyrenees

Aussie Dan
        Any play in idler pulley?...It'd interesting to know if there is any and if so at many kms it has covered. Also can you replace the bearing in same or is it a new idler pulley

Thanks

DiD3.2 275,000kms
        Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins
        Yamaha XTZ660Z Ténéré Injection 75,000kms

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2010
          • Cairns

Gday Ohlins.
          Car has done a total of 105K, I checked the A/C idler / tensioner pulley and it was quiet and smooth.
          No idea if the bearing can be replaced or whether the whole assembly needs to be purchased, sorry....
          Cheers, Dan.
          2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Lance
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2009
            • Melbourne

My guess is that MMA would sell you a complete assy, where as Bearing Service, or the like, would sell you a bearing.
            That's the way it was 30yr ago when I was with Datsun/Nissan. I reckon things haven't changed much.
            eg. 240c assy $85, brg $3, and 5 mins to press it out and in.

Dan, are you taking the old belts on the trip with you ? I'm taking my used ones.
            Ya just never know, you might be able to get someone else out of strife.

Comment

• amr75wcr
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2009
              • Sunny Coast

I replaced our idler at 195,000 k just a a precaution the complete assembly from our local Bursons was about $15.00.
              04 NP DID GLX ARB Steel Bullbar 2" ARB/King Springs, Billies, Warn Winch, Rhino Track Mount Racks, Rola Basket, Rallye 4000 HID, UHF, Reverse camera, Custom Console, Fridge Slide and Rear Door Table, DVD Screen, 40lt Engel, Dual Battery Sytem with Auto Isolator, Cargo Barrier, polaris gps, Sat Phone, BFG A/Ts, Foxwing awning, ARB Locker, Bush Skinz sliders $ inter plate, 3" exhaust chip, custom bar & twin tyres

Comment

• Lance
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2009
                • Melbourne

At that price you'd be foolish not to replace it.
                Cost more than that for a brg.
                I wish I'd thought to do it when I did my belts................

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2010
                  • Cairns

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  Dan, are you taking the old belts on the trip with you ? I'm taking my used ones.
                  Ya just never know, you might be able to get someone else out of strife.
                  Yes, I sure am Lance.
                  They are fairly well cracked / perished but would be good enough for emergency use.
                  Considering they are so small and light, it's a pretty good idea to carry them as spares I reckon!
                  Cheers, Dan.

Comment

• amr75wcr
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • Sunny Coast

I have to agree with Dan there are pack in somewhere just incase they are needed.
                    Wayne

Comment

• Ohlins
                      • Sep 2010
                      • SW French Pyrenees

Thanks Aussi Dan for that...just wanted to know...

I replace the bearing in my 300tdi LR instead of buying the whole unit...£7 against £55

Any other inmate know if the bearing can be replaced?....Might be a good thing to throw into the toolbox

Last edited by Ohlins; 06-05-17, 04:10 AM.
                      DiD3.2 275,000kms
                      Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins
                      Yamaha XTZ660Z Ténéré Injection 75,000kms

Comment

• Lance
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2009
                        • Melbourne

Has anyone got a number from an old brg ?

amr75wcr, have you still got the old assy you could check ?

Comment

• amr75wcr
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2009
                          • Sunny Coast

The only numbers on it are D3F, it is pressed over in four places. OD is about 38mm ID is about 13mm on a ruler at this stage of the evening.
                          Wayne

Comment

• junor179
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Bendigo

Had a bad squeal from the fan belts or idler pulley between 1500 and 1800 rpm. Purchased (June 11) a new idler pulley from Bursons, cost $30. Replaced the belts and pulley, need long thin arms. Removed bearing from original idler pulley and it rattled and probably the cause of the squeal. Belts had done 130,000 and had some small cracks. New bearing for idler pulley cost $8.00, bearing number is NSK 6301V. If you similar issue don't buy a replacement pulley, buy the bearing, it is easily removed and installed.
                            Phil
                            NP DID GLS Pajero

Comment

• jasonbelch
                              • Jan 2012
                              • QLD

Well I just changed all three and all though the info on these pages helped out I had issues, the alternator adjuster just wouldn't move the alternator...I loosened off the adjuster and then removed it including the bracket, Jammed a pry bar in the guts and it still wouldn't budge. I ended up spraying in half a can of wd40 and used the pry bar again...finally after a heap of exchanging words with myself and I even phoned a friend...it moved. All together now and took her for a test drive...all good but man you need small hands and skinny arms...the arb bar didn't help.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X