Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-2 Pajero

Generation 4-2 Pajero NT model 2009 - 2011

Old 09-02-19

Default Fit Winch to Smartbar

Greets y'all!

Any smartbar owners out there have fitted a winch to their winch compatible smartbar?

Easy?...Hard?...PIA??...bar has to come off?...can it stay on??

Dave
Old 10-02-19

I have a whinch on my smart bar and when I took it off to get repaired I had to remove the bull bar.
Pretty easy, only issue I had was a couple of the nuts moulded into the bull bar were spinning.
Old 10-02-19
Valued Member

I have a Sherpa winch on my Smartbar. The Smartbar had to be removed for installation, and would need to be again when I get the winch maintained.

The winch installers had a difficult time installing my particular brand of winch due to the design of the clutch control and accessibility to it, although it all turned out OK in the end. I suspect installation would have been easier had I chosen the only winch that Smartbar guaranteed would fit (at that time the Warn 9000XD). Every winch has its own design, even though the 4 bolt holes for the mounting are pretty much standard. If you don't choose the Warn 9000, then just make sure that you've measured everything up really carefully and have a clear idea how you will get access to the clutch lever when the winch is in place. Also, with my winch, the installer had to fabricate a metal bracket to mount the solenoid box onto, the bracket was then welded to the top of the Smartbar steel winch plate. The Sherpa came with its own solenoid mounting kit, but this was designed to clamp over the top two horizontal tubes of the winch housing itself. This is not possible with the Smartbar. Presumably with the Warn all this would not have been an issue. So to repeat (if you don't go Warn): measure everything at least twice and visualise just how every component of the winch will fit. Good luck!
BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c and sump bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD oil catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker
Old 10-02-19

Thanks guys,

I thought it might have to come off alright. Its a Warn XD9000 so just need to rotate the bits a little and it will fit right in.

Dave
Old 12-02-19

I have the Smartbar and Warn XD9000. It was there when i bought it so i cant help with fitting instruction sorry. Can send pics if need be tho
Old 19-02-19

Thanks man,
Shes in getting the bar, winch, suspension and elocker fitted at the moment. Woohoooo!
I could have done alot of it myself but I don't have half the tools Id need anymore and the price was good.
Will be fitting a reversing cam, roof rack from OCAM and Rhino Batwing myself when it comes back.
Then off out the road to Boo for some plate protection.
Will start looking at the electrical, snorkel, diff breathers and all the other goodness thats needed after all that I rekon.
Then it will be done..... wont it??....tell me it ends?...I used to have an old landcruiser 95... it never ended until I sold it...

D.