Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bits and Pieces

Bits and Pieces Whatever does not fit into the other catergories.

Old 12-02-19
Valued Member

They are good pegs, I've got a set in the caravan. I don't know if they'd have worked at Osprey though, I didn't have them with me up there as we used the Tvan. I still like the look of the angle iron type for really hard ground.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Peders Springs & EFS Shocks, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Infinity caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 12-02-19
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwoffey View Post
We were at Osprey Bay camp at Ningaloo and the ground is like rock.
First time I used the pegs I linked earlier was in a well compacted camp ground which looked like concrete dust - maybe a road base of some kind??

Started with the old trusty steel ones and it made a 1/2 inch impression in the ground before flaring the hole, going nowhere and starting to bend.

So I tried my new super duper peg - wow - it drove straight in with ease. This ground would have been similar in hardness to some of the others mentioned above. And surprisingly, it was pretty easy to remove when I wanted to.

That one event alone proved to me I need not carry a battery drill and auger any more. But I need to pay about $10 a peg (actually it works out at $8 a peg delivered - I just ordered another set for the camper - putting ones money where his mouth is )

A few years ago, I was camped at Steep Point. Same shelly type of ground that Ian mentions. Getting 500mm sand pegs in was not easy, but do-able. Unfortunately a very strong cold front came in, and with the amount of canvas deployed, I had to double peg it. I really thought I was going to have a canvas blow out, the wind was that strong. I never slept that night due to the buffeting of the camper from said wind. This was before it got up to full strength. You can see the wind load in the canvas. The tent next door failed during the night:

I like the super peg idea of applying load directly into the shank. But I still suggest the drop forged peg is superior again (mind you it would want to, its 4 times the price - but there is no folded head to bend at all in those)

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys

Last edited by sharkcaver; 12-02-19 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-02-19

The coach bolt idea has been around for awhile now.
The Rockbreaker spring steel pegs from Multi Slide Industries are supposed to be pretty good. I picked some up but haven't been able to put them to the test yet.
Old 14-02-19

Default Tent pegs

My simple solution to bent tent pegs, just 12mm steel rod ground to a point and with 4mm cross piece welded on to hold the rope. When the point flattens, or top gets a bit rough just grind them again. Easy as, and cheap too.
Don't work in sand though, I use sand bags. Very light to take, filling sand is free and bags very light to take home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190214_073933.jpg (102.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 14-02-19
Valued Member

The camp host at Osprey had a steel rod like those which he gave me to try but it didn't even go in a few cm before it stopped and any more hits would bend it.

The shale type grpund is so compacted it's like concrete and the water actually sets the fine dust so it becomes like cement holding it all together.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Peders Springs & EFS Shocks, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Infinity caravan and a TVan Firetail.