• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HarryStottle
    • Dec 2011
    • Yalata SA

Yay, got me boat back! Bring on the Barra

Well, after spending a year in the desert, I'm finally back near water and have got my boat back. Am on the Roper River for a year and am hoping to hit the water this weekend. Have not fished a river from a boat before and am really looking forward to seeing how the Lowrance shows the bottom in fresh water. Also haven't caught a Barra yet (very high on my bucket list) so looking forward to that too.

Boat has been sitting for a year in a mates back yard, then barged to the mainland from Groote Eylandt as well as being bounced all the way from the Gulf to Ngukurr so am hoping she still runs lol.

Now, to unpack the fishing gear and update Navionics - happy days.
    2012 NW Activ auto 3.2 Diesel, ARB Steel Bullbar, 50mm Raised OME, Polyairs, LED Spots, Light Bar, Warn winch, GME UHF, Baroud Tent, ARB Side & Rear Awnings, Engel 40ltr Fridge, drawers, dual battery, ARB Dual Compressor, Ultragauge, Munji ERG Delete Module, MM LockUp Mate.
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

First time I ever went to the Territory I camped at Roper Bar. 1 hour later I had 5 barra ALL OVER 80CMS!!! wALKED OUT 15 METERS FACING UPSTREAM WITH THE WATER A BIT LESS THAN KNEE HEIGHT AND WITH 1.5 METERS OF LINE AND A LURE ON THE END i JUST WHACKED THE WATER IN FRONT OF ME NEAR THE CONCRETE CAUSEWAY. boof....BARRA AFTER BARRA. aPPARENTLY A WEEK BEFORE THE AVERAGE BARRA WAS CLOSE TO A METER. oVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS i CAUGHT DOZENS OF BIG BARRA. kEPT A COUPLE BUT 90% WENT BACK TO GROW BIGGER. bEAUTIFUL PLACE THE rOPER rIVER. hAVE FISHED gROOTE eYLANDT, THE rOSE rIVER, gULF AND ALL OVER THE TOP END. mAKES FISHING ANYWHERE ELSE IN aUSTRALIA LOOK CRAP. hERE IN qLDIT IS A JOKE. oVERFISHED, THIEVING CRABPOT BASTARDS, NETTERS, SMALL FISH KEEPING AND OVERFISHED AREAS MEANS ITS NOT A GOOD EXPERIENCE.

cLOSE TO eASTER IS A BRILLIANT TIME TO FISH THE rOPER.

Your a lucky man.

sorry bout caps.

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• George Whiley
      • Aug 2013
      • Rockhampton

Fishing from the bank you cast to the middle, fishing from the middle you cast to the bank
      2002 NM 3.5 ltr, LPG Auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X