• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Fester
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Boambee East NSW

Gen3 Rocker Cover Gasket Change.

Can anyone tell me if their are step by step instructions on the forum anywhere on how to change the Gen3 Pajero 3.5 Rocker Cover Gaskets? I have done a search but to know avail.
    NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.
  • mrbitchi
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Brisbane

Never seen any. Not overly complicated but it's a fair bit of work. You have to take the inlet plenum chambers off to get to the rocker covers.

Unless you have a SERIOUS oil leak it's a job I'd be leaving till the 100K service, when you tak all that stuff off to do the spark plugs.
    Last edited by mrbitchi; 27-05-10, 11:57 AM.
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Uncle Fester
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2007
      • Boambee East NSW

I'm only 10000km off 300000km timing belt service and I was going to do the plug seals at the same time. The leak is only slight and I am not sure where it is coming from. My mechanic is quoting $300 just to do the rocker cover gaskets and they may not even be the problem. Are the rocker gaskets on an NM cork or rubber and are they known to leak at all?
      Last edited by Uncle Fester; 27-05-10, 12:20 PM. Reason: Better explaination of the problem
      NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.

Comment

• journey
        • May 2010

??

A profound theory. I didn't understand.
        A faithful friend is hard to find.

Comment

• mrbitchi
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Brisbane

Mine has a similar slight leak on the drivers side. I think it's actually coming from the timing belt covers on the front of the engine. Go's in for it's 200K in a couple of weeks so I'll get it looked at then.
          Cheers, John.
          LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
          Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• MTN-KAT
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Gold Coast

I have a Gen 2, 99 NL 3.5L, so same motor. Let me share my story on this issue. Last year I had what I thought was just an oil leak from the right side valve cover gasket, and cause of oil getting onto alternator. Enquiries revealed best to do plugs and seals at same time and not a cheap job. As the motor was running fine and plugs not due yet, I thought I would try the simple thing first so put a socket to the valve cover nuts (both covers)and found them loose. Then wiped the visible oil from the gasket line on the head and off the top of alternator and monitored. You beauty. No more oil leaking from gasket, but there's more oil on the alternator! So where is it coming from? Seemed to be from front of valve cover and being flicked out. Found removal of a nut at the top of the right timing cover removes a "spy window" to expose the camshaft seal. This seal was leaking oil and due to rotation of motor was being flicked out thru gap where plastic cover meets head and getting onto alternator! So I was committed to an early new timing belt just to get new camseals! Very irritating as belt not due for another 50,000k, but I saved quite a sum of money by not needing valve cover gaskets, plugs and seals as well. Hope this info helps. Cheers
            99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• Uncle Fester
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2007
              • Boambee East NSW

Mine was only leaking if I parked it nose down in the driveway. I also tightened all the rocker cover bolts I could get to on the weekend and it all seems good so far.

Comment

• geopaj
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by MTN-KAT View Post
                I have a Gen 2, 99 NL 3.5L, so same motor. Let me share my story on this issue. Last year I had what I thought was just an oil leak from the right side valve cover gasket, and cause of oil getting onto alternator. Enquiries revealed best to do plugs and seals at same time and not a cheap job. As the motor was running fine and plugs not due yet, I thought I would try the simple thing first so put a socket to the valve cover nuts (both covers)and found them loose. Then wiped the visible oil from the gasket line on the head and off the top of alternator and monitored. You beauty. No more oil leaking from gasket, but there's more oil on the alternator! So where is it coming from? Seemed to be from front of valve cover and being flicked out. Found removal of a nut at the top of the right timing cover removes a "spy window" to expose the camshaft seal. This seal was leaking oil and due to rotation of motor was being flicked out thru gap where plastic cover meets head and getting onto alternator! So I was committed to an early new timing belt just to get new camseals! Very irritating as belt not due for another 50,000k, but I saved quite a sum of money by not needing valve cover gaskets, plugs and seals as well. Hope this info helps. Cheers
                Thanks for the heads up - I've replaced the rocker cover gaskets on my NL (and they are not leaking) but I've still got oil dripping on the alternator.
                How much did it cost?
                Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• MTN-KAT
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Gold Coast

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
                  Thanks for the heads up - I've replaced the rocker cover gaskets on my NL (and they are not leaking) but I've still got oil dripping on the alternator.
                  How much did it cost?
                  Your welcome. About $1,250 from memory. I chose to get the job done at MM so if any problem I could take it back to them - anywhere! Used all MM parts and because it's a case of all things off front of motor to get to cam seals I figured best to have all things replaced so I won't have to revisit this area in the next 100,000k till next timing belt change. I'd been informed that the aftermarket cam seals will leak and to only use the genuine replacement ones. So new timing belt, waterpump, I think there was two pulleys for the timing belt (one a pretensioner?), new crankshaft seal, new crankshaft bolt (I'm told very important). While radiator out had flushed, tested and painted. Three new belts and both radiator hoses (kept old ones for spares on remote trips). And the MM coolant. All this because the numbnut (at an MM dealer, now closed) that replaced the first timing belt declined to follow MM policy and replace the cam seals when doing a belt. The mechanic told me so and showed me the original black colored cam seal. The replacement ones are orange/red. It was known at the time that the new timing belt puts strain on old black seals and causes them to leak. Oil on alternator put me under pressure to get it done sooner rather than later. Mine's been perfect since done May 09. Cheers
                  Last edited by MTN-KAT; 07-06-10, 06:48 PM.
                  99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• psproule
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Googong, NSW

Uncle Fester, is it leaking up the back somewhere? They often leak out of an O ring around the rear of the heads - The cap on the end of the cam on either side who's correct name escapes me right now! It's verey easy and cheap to replace if this is it. Otherwise some of the suggestions above.

Pat
                    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X