• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

luifly, it's a long shot, but there's a possibility that two pumps on the circuit could be causing a thermal overload, leading to a shutdown.

To test this, hook the lift pump directly to the battery (via a fuse), and only run the hi-pressure pump from the Magna relay. If you have the same problem, it's probably not the two pumps causing it. If the engine runs fine, install a slave relay off the Magna relay to run the lift pump.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• luifly
      • Nov 2007
      • Ringwood East

Originally posted by Phat-customs View Post
      Perhaps Ur pumps are shutting down due to thermal overload or something???
      Originally posted by nj swb View Post
      luifly, it's a long shot, but there's a possibility that two pumps on the circuit could be causing a thermal overload, leading to a shutdown.

To test this, hook the lift pump directly to the battery (via a fuse), and only run the hi-pressure pump from the Magna relay. If you have the same problem, it's probably not the two pumps causing it. If the engine runs fine, install a slave relay off the Magna relay to run the lift pump.
      That is a possibility and i will check it today

Is there too much restriction in the fuel Line?
      I cleaned the fuel lines before i started

Perhaps there is a blockage in ur fuel filter post VL Pump.
      I have changed the filters and the same problem

Is the fuel Reg and the presure reg solenoid hooked up correctly??
      That was my first thought so i double checked them both and they are all hocked correctly

Do ur pumps have GOOD earths? or are the earths shaking loose or loosing contact when the pump runs?
      I made sure that all of my earths are good and have re checked them, i have had many problems with BAD earths in my previous cars with stereos and stuff

Have U tried disconecting the power from one pump and see if the other comes alive? perhaps there sucking too much current together and stalling out?

MAYBE try hooking battery power straight to the pumps, bypassing the factory relay and seeing if that gets it running, then at least U can start to narrow down the problems..
      I will try both of these today as well

what did U do with the gaskets on the inlet manifiold? did the magna one hold water???
      With the gasket, if you have read my thread you will know that i ran into the same problem. What i did is get both the pajero and the magna gaskets and cut them in half and use the magna gasket on the left and the pajero on the right (that is when you are standing on the right side of your engine bay looking at the manifold). Then when i put the manifold onto the head i put s heap of gasket glue to a) hold the gaskets together and b) to seal any more gaps.

Oh and, what did U do about the fuel rail??? Ive had to chop the end off and relocate the Fuel IN fitting to the middle of the rail as it was hitting the fire wall.[/QUOTE]

I did have the same problem but i didn't notice this until i had the manifold on but lucky it wasn't protruding into the fire wall too much so i was able to bend the fire wall a tad to make it a close fit.

I hope that helps Phat-customs and if you would like to ask me any more questions feel free. Also just out of curiosity where did you locate your surge tank and what kind of tank did you use?

Comment

• Phat-customs
        • Dec 2009

Righto Cool, thats sounds an interesting soloution, fingers x'ed it holds!!!

My surge is in a similar place to urs but its quite a bit larger, it holds 5 liters.

I also modded the factory Magna in tank fuel pump to fit inside the surge tank.

Here are some iffy pixs

Photo on the left shows looking from the RHS rear tyre and U can see the lift pump and plumbing.

Photo on the RIght shows looking from the LHS tyre and U can see the flange off the factory Magna Pump, and the fuel line.

The surge tank is mounted with 4 Rubber insulated bolts up through the floor under the seat.

I used the factory pump as it was a) something else I didint have to buy, and B) (I know its the right pump for the job and going to supply the correct amount of fuel.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Phat-customs
          • Dec 2009

So, Mine runs How about yours???

Comment

• Phat-customs
            • Dec 2009

All gone a bit quiet in this thread...

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Unfortunate, but true. People tend to come to forums when they need help, and not when they don't. Not that I'm criticising - I have a habit of doing similar.

I have been looking at your thread on OL. Just haven't had any inspirational contributions, and no time for general musing.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• luifly
                • Nov 2007
                • Ringwood East

True, i have been away on holidays and haven't had a chance to be online for personal use and even more annoyingly i haven't been able to work on my Pajero

But all is well now, im back on track with no more long trips to relative and working long hours to cope with the holiday rush.

i have fixed the problem with my fuel pumps, i wired the lift pump to come on when the key is turned to the ON position and the EFi pump is wired to the relay. All is working well apart from a few small issues, and that is the battery has died (nothing a night on the charge wont fix), and the car isn't idling and the timing is out. After i get these things fixed i will be getting it Dyno tuned so it should all be sweet. Then i can finally drive the thing again

Comment

• Phat-customs
                  • Dec 2009

Dyno tuned so it should all be sweet
                  Are U using aftermarket management are U???

Have U had any probs with ur Idle Motor not working as it should?

And im gettin a Crank Angle Sensor erroe code from the ECU, have U had anything similar?

Comment

• luifly
                    • Nov 2007
                    • Ringwood East

I am using a standard TN Computer which after ringing around a few places wont dyno it bus some will.

And yes i have been having issues with my idle motor, and even going through Gregory Handbook i havnt been able to fix it yet. With the Crank angle sensor error, i cant say i have had any problems.

I took the Paj out for a short drive today and it feels so good to be back in a high rideing posiotion, but there are a few things that the drive showed me.
                    First. I really need to get the idle right,
                    Second. It is in despreat need for a tune and,
                    Third. It has more power and it sounds great!

Comment

• Phat-customs
                      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by luifly View Post
                      Second. It is in despreat need for a tune and,
                      Third. It has more power and it sounds great!
                      It shouldnt really need a tune man, there isnt realy much U can "tune" on it asside from setting the timing. everything else is hard programmed into the ECU and that info shouldnt change regardless of how long the ECU sits dormant.

Did U put a ne o2 sensor in? I pulled the one from tha magna but it needed replacing as it wasnt giving a reading. $20 on the bay fixed that.

have U run a diagnostic on it at all? id be interested to see if it logs any faults.

Ps. How much better are they to drive EFI, its like a completely different car!!!

Comment

• luifly
                        • Nov 2007
                        • Ringwood East

Ok so yesterday i connected up my multimeter to the service plug to see if i could get a reading of pulses to determine if there are any faults.

I got
                        _ _ . . . . = Oxygen sensor

_ _ _ . . . = Air Flow sensor

_ _ . _ . . = Throttle Posiotion sensor

Now i did this while the engine was off (cause i still cannot get it to idle) and the manual said that if the engine is not running you will always get an Oxygen sensor fault because it inst getting a reading.
                        With the Air Flow would that have something to do with the fact that i have the intercooler connected?

Cheers

Comment

• Phat-customs
                          • Dec 2009

With the Air Flow would that have something to do with the fact that i have the intercooler connected?
                          i wouldnt think so but perhaps... But if it wasnt running then I cant see how it would log the fault.

Hav u got a hand throttle mounted on the dash of the paj??? I use that (almost like a choke) to up the revs in the morning, or if i need the revs up or any reason.

Have U got urself a Mitsu Manual??? Go through that and it tells U howto check ALLL the sensors and stuff to see if there functioning correctly.

Comment

• epitrochoid
                            • Nov 2008
                            • albury, nsw

Your idle problem could be the airflow meter and tps combined. check these 2 sensors and using your workshop manual, make sure the tps is set properly.

Your 02 sensor is only a single wire that does not affect idle, only closed loop operation when the engine is warm.

REgards

Epitrochoid
                            owning mitsubishi's since 1994.

Comment

• luifly
                              • Nov 2007
                              • Ringwood East

Yesterday while having the Paj ruing for a few minuets i noticed that there was an air leak coming form the plenum, so this morning i took it off to check the weld to see if there are any holes and to my surprise the gasket for the plenum was only half there. So after a ring around to local spare parts shops and even a call to the Mitsubishi parts nobody makes the gasket anymore. So after hacking up the cereal box and a bit of gasket glue the air leak seems to be gone. Now the Paj is running a lot smoother.

Also i think i have the idle under control, it is sitting just under 1000 which suits me nicely, but it dose sometimes rev up to about 2500 on its own and sit there for a bit then drops back down.

Comment

• luifly
                                • Nov 2007
                                • Ringwood East

Well the Paj is not starting again

At first i thought it may be out of petrol as the needle was on E, so off i went to the petrol station came back and put 5L of fuel in. And all it is doing is turning over. Is it possible that because i was trying to start it with no petrol i could of seized the fuel pump and petrol acts a a lubricator in high pressure pumps?

I am completely stumped. I am going to run a diagnostics again and see if that gives me a clue. Keep you posted

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X