• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wanderingpom
    • Aug 2018
    • Burleigh, Gold Coast Queensland

Keen to Learn

G'day Guys,

New to the Pajero scene, and hoping to get some guidance and tips and tricks off some very knowledgable people..

over the next few days Il be coming into possession of a NL v6 petrol Pajero thats done 350k's I believe its been serviced all its life , but last timing belt was 200k ago (which is a concern) and I have contacted the last company to service it he's had it 3 times but hasn't put anything down in the service booklet off what been serviced unlike ALL the previous Service companies. ( what would you expect to pay for timing belt and water pump replacement)

Anyway, If you were to come in to possession of this vehicle what would you look at doing for the Service, and components that should be replaced? Have already bought a Haynes manual.

Am pretty handy but have no experience with motor vehicle's and am really keen to learn as there no mechanics on the dirt tracks?

Situated on The Gold Coast (recommendations for trust worthy mechanic for the timing belt etc)

Thanks for your time

Regards Terry
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

Not too sure on east coast prices as it's been a while since mines been to anyone on the east coast for that kind of work but I'd expect a grand, give or take a couple hundred for a timing belt &a water pump replacement.

If you cannot get absolute confirmation that the belt has been done less than 100,000 ago, GET IT DONE. Not something I want to risk on my Pajs.

Again, unles you know for certain it's been done recently, do all the fluids (coolant, brake, gearbox, transfer case, diffs, engine oil, power steering). Overall fairly cheap if you can do most or all of these yourself. It will give yourself a known starting point on all the fluids anyway for the future. Plus you'll see if there's anything untoward in the fluids when you drain them.

That's pretty much the stuff that help keep the car running. You can then get into other components, as needed, like fuel filters, spark leads and/or plugs, steering and suspension components etc.
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• wanderingpom
      • Aug 2018
      • Burleigh, Gold Coast Queensland

Cheers mate,

Really appreciate the feed back

Comment

• christopher
        • Mar 2012
        • Chidlow W.A.

Have a careful look at the rear heater hose, LHS I think, which goes into the heater, really hard to spot a leak but they do tend to weep after a while, took me six months to find this was a problem in my NH.

If you follow the Haynes manual you will find reference, when replacing timing chain, to remove things that seem unnecessary, do it any way short cuts don't work.

Once you've done it once you'll find it easy
        2011 3.2 DID Pajero NT GLS Auto O/L Premium Steel Bullbar, Towbar, Redarc electric Brake controller, Graphite Tint Windows, Wireless Rear Camera low mount for easy float connection

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X