• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dgrev
    • Sep 2010
    • Broken Hill

Diesel used at idle with Aircon on

Yesterday it was pretty hot here and when I was picking my daughter up from school I said to my son, "lets get out and stand in the shade". He said "why not sit here with the airconditioning on". To which I replied "that uses lots of diesel".
    However, I have just been reading up on modern diesel technology and according to what I was reading, force fed common rail engines use down to 145:1 fuel ratio at idle! So unlike a petrol engine, ours should be pretty frugal.
    So when my son and I hopped out of the car, we were surrounded by other parents all sitting in their cars with the windows up and the engines running.

I can't help it if I was raised by frugal depression era parents, in grained habits......

So, can anyone tell me what the diesel burn rate is for the scenario above of a Pajero?

Thanks
    Doug
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

Hi,

I think you'll find m_and_m's research interesting...
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2014
      • Wellington,New Zealand

diesels are very efficient at ldle ,much more so than petrol.They still use fuel of course so your choice was valid.
      2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
      BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• bacon
        Banned
        • Feb 2015
        • Australia

Do you drive around on a stinking hot day with AC off and windows down ??You use AC cooling while you are driving so you are comfortable so why not sit in comfort ? So what if it used a $1 of fuel you could save even more if you walked to pick you daughter up

Comment

• Jeffwatkins
          • Apr 2015
          • Jamisontown NSW

I can't help it if I was raised by frugal depression era parents, in grained habits......

In that case you should have walked to the school.

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

You have about 140 kW of power (maximum). The vehicle requires probably 25 kW of power to run it at 80 km/h. The A/c uses maybe 2 or 3 kW maximum, so the amount of fuel required to run it would be minimal. My bigger concern would be what is going out the exhaust and where it is going.

Comment

• dgrev
              • Sep 2010
              • Broken Hill

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
              Hi,

I think you'll find m_and_m's research interesting...
              http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44932
              Geopaj

EXCELLENT, thanks for the link.

So, it would appear anywhere from 450ml per hour no load to 950ml
              per hour with A/C on.

Good info for future reference and just plain curiosity.

Therefore, on 45°C days in Broken Hill, I will be running a 2.3 Tonne reverse cycle A/C whilst waiting at the school.
              So roughly 45c per 1/4 hour per day when it is really stinking hot at current prices.

Regards
              Doug

Comment

• nifty
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by dgrev View Post
                Geopaj

Therefore, on 45°C days in Broken Hill, I will be running a 2.3 Tonne reverse cycle A/C whilst waiting at the school
                whilst sitting in a comfortable lounge suite listening to a good sound system away from the glare, and flies,through tinted windows. ( sounds even cheaper now with all those benefits )

Comment

• erad
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Cooma NSW

Diesel fuel has a calorific value of 36.9 MJ/Litre. Using 0.5 L/hour extra to run the A/C means that the fuel input is 18.5 MJ/h, or equivalent to about 5.1 kW. A diesel engine has about 40% maximum efficiency, so this means about 2 kW is absorbed by the A/C system. This would be about the right order of things.

Comment

• dgrev
                    • Sep 2010
                    • Broken Hill

Originally posted by nifty View Post
                    whilst sitting in a comfortable lounge suite listening to a good sound system away from the glare, and flies,through tinted windows. ( sounds even cheaper now with all those benefits )
                    Droll! You know how to state a persuasive case.

Regards
                    Doug

Comment

• dgrev
                      • Sep 2010
                      • Broken Hill

Android Torque app setting for instantaneous fuel usage?

I tired setting up an instantaneous fuel/min gauge on the Torque app on my Android phone, but it doesn't work. Does anyone know the settings that I need to get a response please?

Regards
                      Doug

Comment

• Mike DiD
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2007

Had no problem setting up Litres/Hr using Torque Pro on my NX.

It uses 1 L/hr at idle - haven't checked how much difference Aircon makes.

Driving at 100km/h uses 10L/hr.
                        Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• dgrev
                          • Sep 2010
                          • Broken Hill

Mike

For some reason, Torque has always been a fight on my Samsung phone. Like
                          others, I wasn't having much success with it until some very knowledgable member of this forum gave us the exact settings. Who that was, I now have no idea as it was quite some time back.

I was hoping that he or someone else who knows their way around that app would be reading this thread!

Can you tell me exactly what you did?

Regards
                          Doug

Comment

• cookie9
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2014
                            • Central Coast NSW

I thought if you did EGR resistor mod it throws out all the fuel use telemetry and range estimates?
                            2011 LS Auto Challenger, Ultimate 50mm suspension lift, Diff breathers, OEM towbar, Bushskinz.....

Comment

• dgrev
                              • Sep 2010
                              • Broken Hill

Originally posted by cookie9 View Post
                              I thought if you did EGR resistor mod it throws out all the fuel use telemetry and range estimates?
                              Mate,

I have no idea what you are talking about.

What is an EGR resistor and why would it be modified?

Regards
                              Doug

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X