• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Craig Williams
    • Aug 2014
    • Gold Coast

1988 Pajero 2.5TD Outside Inside Thermometer Repair

Firstly my 3/11/1988 Pajero is a SWB 2.5 Diesel IMPORT.
    If you have one or none readings of temperature displayed I have collated a guide to help. Below is a link for an alternative TELTEK gauge for USD 123.50 plus postage.
    Customize the interior of your truck with this inside and outside air temperature TelTek gauge by choosing a red, blue or green display!

should you give up, or the circuit board is beyond repair. From searches I usually found the top centre three gauges referred to as a 1) Pod unit OR 2) Combination gauges, my Outside Inside Thermometer gauge is on the LHS as can the seen below.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1154.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	993968
    My Pajero is an 11/1988 (NF) Import 2.5 TD 4D56 Auto. So now to the repair...
    You need to remove the Outside Inside Thermometer Gauge (OITG) from the Pod.
    There are two phillips head screws, the RHS will require an offset screwdriver, due to limited space. Once the shroud is removed I had three more phillips head screws to remove and then a wiring harness to disconnect. Two wires go the the light for the pod which should come on when you turn on your headlights. Replace the wedge shaped globe if it is burnt out. Now to the OITG. Remove all facia screws from the three gauges and then at the back two small phillips head no. 1 screws to get the OITG out. I had to cut all its wires to get them out the small hole at the back. I later rejoined them all back together using a terminal block I purchased from an Electronics Store, here in Australia called Jaycar for about $3 AUD. Below you can see all the wires temporarily joined back together with electrical tape, prior to final assembly.

Name:	IMG_1192.jpg
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	993967
    As you can see the OITG is now fully working. Here are the steps I followed.
    First look under the centre of the steering wheel cover and you will see what has been described in another post as a christmas tree light, see picture below.

Name:	IMG_1214.jpg
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	993976
    The Thermistor looks like a black "Christmas Tree Bulb" as in the photo above. I have since wrapped it in Aluminium Foil to make it react more quickly to temperature changes. See further below for an explanation.
    To test the thermistor which is the correct name for the christmas tree bulb, remove the seven phillips head screws which hold the underneath cover for the steering wheel. Then disconnect the thermistor from its harness which is right on the edge of the lower dash. Now plug in a Multimeter set to resistance and it should read 1000 ohms at 24 degrees celsius. As you heat the thermistor with a hair dryer (which you borrowed from your wife) the resistance should go down. There is no positive/negative to worry about as it is essentially just a resistor, which changes its resistance due to heat. Now test the thermistor mounted under the bumper bar on the LHS, (passenger side in Australia). Here is a picture of where it is located, lie down under the LHS at the front and look under the bumper bar. In this picture you can also see the overflow pipe and the Air Con Receiver/Dryer.

Name:	IMG_1226.jpg
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	993969
    The next picture shows the outside thermistor which has been disconnected from its wiring harness

Name:	IMG_1227.jpg
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	993970
    Part 2 Follows.... see next thread (as it only allows a max. of 5 photos per thread)?
    Last edited by Craig Williams; 03-06-17, 10:19 PM. Reason: I can only have 5 photos it seems per thread
  • Moonchook
    • Jun 2014
    • Brisbane

be good to see the rest of it, need to have a crack and fixing mine too, i think I just need to replace the wedge bulb to fix mine

Comment

• Craig Williams
      • Aug 2014
      • Gold Coast

1988 Pajero 2.5TD Outside Inside Thermometer Repair Part 2

Part 2

Name:	IMG_1229.jpg
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	971478
      The photo shows the thermistor end pushed into the round pipe which forms part of the bumper bar. That's it for the thermistors, now the the gauge itself.

Name:	IMG_1186.jpg
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	971481
      I dis-assemled the gauge down to its two halves.

Name:	IMG_1187.jpg
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	971482
      I then went over every soldered joint, looking for any loose or dry connections. This is a very common procedure for any electronics. I found four in total and re-soldered them all. When I put it back together it worked. One loose fitting was a capacitor, check all of them and the other was a very small black rectangle. There was a number of them, I do not know their name. But wiggle gently every component and re-solder any suspect ones. Or pay an electronics guy look over it for you. Also look for any "burn marks" which may indicate a component that has "shorted out" it would need to be replaced and any other components nearby. Fortunately, I did not have any such burn marks on my gauge circuit board.
      Now back to the Inside Thermistor.

Name:	IMG_1217.jpg
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	971479
      Finally, to explain the Aluminium Foil, I placed an ice block on the foil to see if it worked and the last photo shows 13 degrees celsius, so it is all working fine.

Name:	IMG_1215.jpg
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	971480
      It is now a few weeks later and both Outside and Inside Thermometers are still working fine.
      The only other comment I would leave is that the Inside Thermistor is slow to react to a cooling down of temperature, hence I tried the aluminium foil idea.
      Feel free to contact me if you need help.
      Last edited by Craig Williams; 08-11-14, 09:14 PM. Reason: Needed to split into two parts as max. 5 photos per thread

Comment

• GHendo
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2012
        • Northern NSW

Fantastic job Craig.

I love it when someone manages to fix something like that themselves - particularly if it is me

Geoff
        03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Craig Williams
          • Aug 2014
          • Gold Coast

I hope there is enough detail to help anyone with a similar problem and it inspires other members to have a go at stuff like this

Comment

• techlegend
            • Jan 2014
            • Sri Lanka

Waiting for the next Part

Mate, Good writeup, Waiting eagerly for the next bit, If you can please let me know what was done to fix the circuits as well

Comment

• Craig Williams
              • Aug 2014
              • Gold Coast

The next bit is already posted search for 1988 Pajero 2.5TD Outside Inside Thermometer Repair Part 2

Comment

• Craig Williams
                • Aug 2014
                • Gold Coast

try this link to Part 2

Comment

• techlegend
                  • Jan 2014
                  • Sri Lanka

Thanks Mate, Next Weekend Project

Comment

• techlegend
                    • Jan 2014
                    • Sri Lanka

Help Required

Hi Craig,

My Model is a Pajero 1988 2.5TD Long Wheel Base CLO49. I have tried to locate the sensor near the steering wheel column but was not able to do so.

can it be any where else.

Comment

• awbeattie381
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • Inner West, Sydney

Thanks for the link. I have the aussie spec model with more useful guages (volts/oil) but have always wanted a decent indoor/outdoor temp display to go with my other three guages. Might have to think about purchasing one of those US truck guages!

Edit: Actually, I just remembered I bought a second hand set of import pod guages years ago with the altimeter and temp guage. Can these be retrofitted into aussie spec models?
                      Andrew
                      1989 NG Superwagon V6
                      2017 Subaru Forester Diesel
                      1974 Viscount Valiant Caravan

Comment

• awbeattie381
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2011
                        • Inner West, Sydney

so refreshing to see someone having a crack at this sort of thing rather than ripping it out altogether and binning it!

Well done!
                        Andrew
                        1989 NG Superwagon V6

Comment

• Craig Williams
                          • Aug 2014
                          • Gold Coast

Inside thermistor location

yes you could and I can help you with which coloured wire goes where if you want, just message me what specifics you need to know. You would need to buy two thermistors, which are fairly cheap to get and I have seen them listed on another thread.
                          Last edited by Craig Williams; 19-11-14, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• Craig Williams
                            • Aug 2014
                            • Gold Coast

In reply to Techlegend... As far as I have read in other posts it is mounted underneath the drivers side steering wheel cover

Comment

• awbeattie381
                              Valued Member
                              • Apr 2011
                              • Inner West, Sydney

Originally posted by Craig Williams View Post
                              yes you could and I can help you with which coloured wire goes where if you want, just message me what specifics you need to know. You would need to buy two thermistors, which are fairly cheap to get and I have seen them listed on another thread.
                              so would I need the thermistors for the jap spec guage or the US truck guage or both?

Sounds promising!
                              Andrew
                              1989 NG Superwagon V6

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X