Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 27-06-14
Valued Member

Default tow hitch motor bike carrier

Looking at a tow hitch mounted motor bike carrier. Any body had experience with these? Ive heard uncorroberated accounts of gen3+ rear ends bending due to towing too much. I suspect its more urban myth from the live axle separate chassis brigade.

I have however seen the odd ute or two with bent chassis which is usually related to overloading behind the axle, airbags and or over driving.

So i have a 120kg bike. Maybe add 30kg for mount. A little outboard of a typical trailer mount thats rated at 250k download. Need I be concerned?
Old 27-06-14
Banned

I've see 6 push bikes on a tow ball mount carry rack tear the tow bar off a Rav 4 because the leverage weight of the bikes made the tow ball be the fulcrum .
Old 27-06-14
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conquistador View Post
Looking at a tow hitch mounted motor bike carrier. Any body had experience with these? Ive heard uncorroberated accounts of gen3+ rear ends bending due to towing too much. I suspect its more urban myth from the live axle separate chassis brigade.

I have however seen the odd ute or two with bent chassis which is usually related to overloading behind the axle, airbags and or over driving.

So i have a 120kg bike. Maybe add 30kg for mount. A little outboard of a typical trailer mount thats rated at 250k download. Need I be concerned?
There is probably a mathematical equation to figure that out, beyond my capabilities though. Ask your kids to ask their teacher, providing you ahve kids & there not in Kindy, lol
MY05 Exceed Di-D Auto, TuneIt chip, Turbo Timer, Aux.Trans cooler, Low Water Alarm, 20" Light bar, Bilsteins, H/D rear springs, B/Stone D697 L/T tyres, TPMS, MCC Alloy Bar,+90Narva H/L globes, Roof Console w/-GME 3340 uhf.Magellen GPS & Hema Hn6,Ark battery box w/-135a/h GEL, 60Lt FridgeMate,100W Solar, Ctec Dc-DC charger, Rola Aero Bars, UpTop Awning, Wheelie Bin, WetSeat covers, Crash cam.
Towing. '00 Gazal Infinity ATV 18' Caravan.
http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/smallsig-metric/93405.png
Old 27-06-14
Valued Member

As it happens, Wife is a lower grade primary teacher the kids are just in school and its school hols! Calculations of 1st & 2nd class mechanical leverage are probably not part of the early learner curriculum.
Old 27-06-14
Valued Member

With a trailer the trailer weight sits on the ball (obviously).

With the proposed motor bike mount, the weight would be outboard of the ball (maybe 300-400mm). I'd be concerned about the "counter leaver effect"... Especially on anything but a perfectly smooth road.

rear locker | ARB bullbar | dual battery | snorkel | Bushskinz guards | HID Hella spotties | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | BFG AT's (on 17" NT rims) | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')
Old 27-06-14

I seen a Honda 450 on a new Jeep at pt Augusta last weekend and he had just came across the nullabor from Perth. So it can be done.
Was going to take a photo, unfortunately I didn't. ,
Old 27-06-14

This might help to give you the ratio

http://www.engineersedge.com/calcula...e_levers_1.htm

Probably worthwhile making sure the tongue interfaces with the full length of the female section of your tow bar, and even add a guide either side to help with pitch and roll.
2001 NM 2.8tdi GL, 5 spd Manual, MM Bullbar, Dual Batt, 400w Inverter, Boo's intercooler, sump and tranny guards, Dobinsons HD raised springs, Strut/Spring spacers, Bilstein shocks, Front Aussie Locker, 255/85x16 Cooper Discoverer S/T, much more to come....
Old 27-06-14
Valued Member

I have a loadhauler and have travelled 3000+kms with my DRZ400 on it and similar kms with my WR450F on the back of my NS SWB no issues at all.
I travelled Perth to Port Headland once 3500km return and Perth to Kalgoorlie 3 times 1250kms return with nil ssues they are awesome.

150-170kg of down ball weight should pose no issues for you.

One tip to stop the rocking is to attach a strap from triple clamp or handlebars back to the car to stop the rocking under braking and acceleration. Mine never moved.

Similar to this one
Old 27-06-14

I made my own, for my Greeves, will try and get some pics over the weekend. Tie downs, front and rear.

whitehillbillies
Old 27-06-14
Valued Member

Wrexy

Well if the back end of the paj can handle the earths gravitational pull on a drz400 then it'll be all good. Thanks for the tip on stopping the wobble. How did you go clearing the rear wheel?

If it feels Sus I might brace the rear rails.