Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 17-06-18

Agree the brand of fuel is a big player in fuel economy, don't forget also I get much better economy out of nice cool/cold day, compared to 35+ Celsius day and above
Old 17-06-18

Default fuel usage

Gidday boys
Just spoke to my mate he is at Adelaide River, apparently the V8's are on in Darwin this weekend.
The tyres were on when he was here in Brisbane and the usage was normal then . They are Goodyear Wranglers A/T's , I forgot to ask the size but on the standard NX OEM rim so whatever the NX runs. He actually put them on to replicate his previous Pajero set up in an attempt to help, the originals were barley run in but as his previous Pajero had no issues he thought he would do that...to be sure, to be sure
The excess usage began the second time in western Qld . If given a choice he usually uses BP Ultimate or Caltex subject to availability however when you travel you don't always get that choice. He wouldnt knowingly use doubtful fuel ,of course

As I said originally he is on his third Paj, he has been travelling Australia for over 20 years in those vehicles without this issue. In fact has travelled these same roads a few times in different Paj's During this time he has no doubt experienced a range of "normal" country driving conditions with the "normal" consequences ie heat, cold, rough, wind etc.

This vehicle is not loaded up with anything the previous Paj's didnt also carry and when/if asked to tow it is towing the same trailer the others towed. In fact his previous Paj carried this identical set up to the Cape and back two years ago with considerably less fuel used per 100 The others vehicles responded as you would expect, unfortunately this one is different, for some unknown reason.

He told me on the phone he had a pretty solid tail wind pushing him today to Adelaide River 19.8/100.....While I have shared your responses he will attempt to find some access to our forum tomorrow to have a read for himself, as the fact that his previous vehicle could and this one struggles is somewhat frustrating him, and he is hoping there is a reason.

As the week unfolds I'll come back as any info comes to hand, he sees a dealer Tuesday so I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed
thanks again gentlemen
Andy
Old 18-06-18

I can add a bit to this thread. I've just bought a 2018 NX, my 4th Pajero and 3rd diesel.
At 1500 kms I commenced a journey from Albany to Kununurra in the Kimberley (and return) towing a Kimberley Kamper camper/trailer which probably weighs about 1700 kgs.
I wasn't paying much attention to fuel consumption, but I was aware at the beginning of this trip I was filling up fairly regularly. I hadn't even bothered to set the dash display.
I got about 1000 kms from Kununurra and decided to record kms and litres used, for the remaining 4500 kms.
My first calculation came in at about 15l/100.
It gradually improved from high 14's down to about 13 which I'm pretty happy with considering we were towing a heavy trailer. I've heard these engines take a few kms to free up.
Our speed was usually 90 kph using cruise control, and a tailwind didn't seem to make any difference.
Old 19-06-18

My 13 day old MY18 Exceed has 3400km now.
In the first 2500km it used on average 10.xL/100km going Syd->Mildura->Mungo and back.

Then sameish 10.1 when going Syd->Edith->Syd

and just recently today when going Syd->HunterValley it used 9.5L/100km.

The amount of weight was the same.
Same OEM tyres.

Maybe it's loosening up a bit?
I'm not too fused with the current usage.
Old 20-06-18
Valued Member

I find that the fuel use in the auto is highly dependent on the status of the torque converter.

If I am off road and the conditions and my weight / tire size are causing the converter to unlock at the speeds im doing then fuel use goes very high. Sometimes as high as 14/15 l/100

I would say that if his economy is fine on the highway but sometimes spikes in slower/more challenging roads then this is the likely cause for him also.

You can see the converter unlock if you watch the tac, it almost looks and feels like the car is down shifting but you will still be in the same gear.

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:
Old 20-06-18

Default fuel usage

Gidday boys
My mates NX spent tuesday until 5pm at the dealer in Darwin. They could find very little out of the ordinary other than the following, highlighted for him..
data list 121 - temp sensor minus 30 degrees
He was led to understand this is a fuel/air sensor reading very very cold, obviously. A replacement sensor was not available so may be ordered and just have to catch up with him on his travels. He has been trying to contact the dealers in Brisbane for some detail of this the only "negative" in the Tuesday report, but without success to date. If it should mean anything to any from the forums "College of Knowledge" please give us a heads up.
thanks Andy
Old 20-06-18
Resident

Which temp sensor?
Has he done any form of EGR mod?

If the engine thinks the incoming air is really cold it could decide there is more oxygen entering the engine, and it needs to add more fuel to match. This by itself may not make much difference day to day, but long term overfuelling could increase soot production, and accelerated clogging of the DPF.

If his NX has a DPF that is struggling to regenerate, bad fuel consumption could result.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 20-06-18

Default fuel usage

Gidday NJ
He hasn't done any EGR mods in fact his previous two pajeros were both stock standard and as he had never experienced any issues other than some rear tyre wear he has been in the habit of leaving them alone. Doesn't use a scanguage or CB . His NX however, he fitted rear air bags . He wasn't able to tell me on the phone which sensor it was and he has been trying to contact his Brisbane dealer all day to get more detail however his calls haven't been returned to date. His plan is to talk to them again in the morning , hopefully order the part if possible and his plan is to leave Darwin in the morning subject to some repairs to his laptop being completed. The part (if its that easy) will be sent ahead and he will pick it up in WA. I've just discussed similar thoughts with him regarding fuel usage in -30 degrees however I didnt identify the additional issues with manifolds full of rubbish from overfueling/ DPF .....he has a DPF on his NX which we both suspect but we dont know exactly what is happening. He tells me that as the driver he is given no indication that the DPF is burning off.
Andy
Old 20-06-18
Resident

If he hasn't been messing with the EGR there should be no reason for Mitsubishi to point the finger at him.

No visible indication doesn't surprise me. I had a Golf GTD that never gave visual indication of a burn - I only knew something was happening if the engine fan kept running when I turned off the engine.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 22-06-18

Default fuel usage

Gidday NJ
Mits (MMA) have been pretty good so far and haven't pointed the finger. In fact my mate is now talking directly with them and they are organizing a replacement sensor to be available when he gets to Perth. Once there, they are hopeful they will get the vehicle back to where it was and where it should be.
When I hear some more I'll share the detail in case it helps, thanks boys
Andy