Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 27-11-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshF View Post
I would have thought that when the TC overheats you just become and open diff 4WD rather than a disabled 4WD, you can still keep progressing, if it is possible to do so
Correct - in non cross axled situations you'll continue. The issue is that much of this discussion is aimed at situations when you're attempting an obstacle or climb etc that requires more than open diffs can accomplish.
MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders & rear bumper bash plate. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.
Old 27-11-17
Valued Member

All effective traction control systems have a limited operating capacity over a certain period of time, this is because there is a small electric motor that drives the hydraulic pump that provides the hydraulic pressure. The ASCTC ECU detects wheel spin, by comparing the speed of all wheel sensors and then opens a valve to the brakes on the wheel that is spinning until the wheel speed is reduced. If the TC is system is pushed too hard for too long then the electric motor gets hot and its temperature is monitored by the ASTC ECU, which then gives the driver a warning beep followed by a continuous warning before the system shuts down to allow the motor to cool down. This is something people do not realise or wont to accept. To get more TC capacity you need a bigger motor or a engine driven hydraulic pump.

However you can conserve the TC capacity by changing the way you drive to reduce the need for long periods of traction control operation. Have off road tyres that are well deflated, choose your driving line more carefully, if you have a RDL engage it, when the the system starts beeping or you detect wheel spin then ease off the accelerator a little.

The Pajero TC system is very good, it makes an average driver look good, a skilled driver should be aiming to drive in are manner that requires less reliance on TC so it has operating capacity when you really need it.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.

Last edited by old Jack; 27-11-17 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 27-11-17
Valued Member

Well said OJ! Couldn't agree more.

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear shelf with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, tigerz awning 2.5 x 2.0m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.
Old 28-11-17
Valued Member

My experience is the same as OJ

TC is extremely effective, only once have I had it beeping on a very long steep shale hill in the vic high country this was after nearly 45 seconds of continuous operation and even then didn't completely die and I continued on with the rear locker (TC mod). I really should have gone up maybe 2km/h faster and 1 gear higher then I wouldn't have had half as much wheel spin.

I find as long as I am deflated correctly (i personally run at 22-25 psi depending on conditions on the tracks. And as long as I accurately estimate a good speed to start my climb then its all good.

I have learned to be a bit less timid, its quite shocking how much 2kmh speed increase (as long as it will still be safe) when you start your climb helps with reducing the amount of torque you need to apply which greatly lessens wheel spin on low traction surfaces. As slow as possible and as fast as necessary being the catch phrase, I just never really realised how big a difference a very small increase in climb speed makes.

Unfortunately I had to learn this because the last 6 times ive gone out it has rained and I refuse to call off my day just because it rains unless its going to be dangerous.

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:
Old 30-11-17
Valued Member

Tyre pressures make a huge difference, just did 3 days in High Country at 18 psi, TC system with diff lock (mod) needed but never close to timing out
2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.