Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 18-10-17

Default A/C Smell

When my car has been sitting for more than a couple of hours the A/C has a real horrible chemical smell when you first turn it on which last's about 5 minutes. I have checked cabin filter etc and all is good and clean. Its definitely not the smell of a dead mouse or anything like that.its a chemical smell. The a/c is working ok, any idea's??
Cheers
Old 18-10-17
Valued Member

This same issue came up on the forum a couple of weeks ago. The best solution seemed to be to spray the air intake for the aircon with Glen 20.

The most likely cause is water trapped inside the unit, ie., blocked or partially blocked drain hose.

Another point to consider is the use of your Aircon. I use mine every day. I never turn it off. its the best way to look after your aircon.

Steve
2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: SMART Winch Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel
Old 19-10-17
Valued Member

I find I tend to get that at the start of summer if I havnt used the AC in a while.

Seems to clear its self up after its been used a couple of hours at least for me.

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:
Old 19-10-17

Even thought the cabin filter looks clean I would stilll replace it as you can't see mould in the pores.

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Baintech powertop aux battery in cargo area (removable), Jaycar battery isolator, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.
Old 17-11-17

It is probably a blocked drain hose or you are not running the A/C often or long enough, so moisture stays in the condenser coil and breeds nasties.
The wife's car mechanic told her to switch off the A/C a few Kms from home?
Try a can of Clean Air (Brand) "Duct fresh". My mate a A/C repairer gave me a can, Spray it into the air intake inside the cabin area and into each vent with the fan off.
It is meant to kill mould and clean the ducts no just mask the smell.

MY14 VRX