Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories

Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories Discussion of after-market extras: winches, bull bars, tow bars (and Towing), roof racks, snorkels, and other cool stuff

Old 26-06-17
Valued Member

Correct

That bolt at the back that is partially hidden is not there, and was never installed on either side.

And it is what they are saying caused the cracked mounts.

Also to correct myself its meant to be 6 bolts not 5 either side i think now looking at you pic

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:
Old 26-06-17
Valued Member

Thanks. I'm relieved that I did it correctly, although I didn't tap those holes - instead used one of those nuts on a wire which had a backing plate to spread the load a bit. Can't remember if it came with the kit or I used some that I have here in the shop. Either way, they're pretty secure.

Interesting that where the cracks are in yours is not a weld but, rather, a fold in the plate. Makes me wonder if a couple of small gussets on each side would stop this from happening? It's always bothered me a little that those 4 big nuts and bolts squeeze the ends of the plates together as they clamp on the flanges around that stub section.

If you do get lucky and they replace your complete bar can you tell them I'd be interested in buying the old one? Mine is a little bent after an altercation with an Audi which wrote itself off on it. Insurance paid me to repair but I'd rather replace and have been looking for one for a while.
Old 26-06-17
Valued Member

I can see the rear bracket taking the load off the sub-frame "bump" where the mount clamps onto but I do not see the rigidity of the rear bracket providing a huge amount of strength to the front bracket. Front bracket is a poor design and the 2 side plates should be a bent one piece plate rather than a fabricated bracket. It would not surprise me if the OP's sub-frame has also some stress fractures that will become evident when the bar is removed.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Old 26-06-17
Valued Member

That piece of plate is folded, OJ.

On another note, it seems somewhat amusing that when someone else was looking for a set of these mounting brackets recently, OL maintained that they only came with a bar. Suddenly they've changed their mind when they're up for a replacement in Kumabear's case?
Old 26-06-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFT5 View Post
That piece of plate is folded, OJ.

On another note, it seems somewhat amusing that when someone else was looking for a set of these mounting brackets recently, OL maintained that they only came with a bar. Suddenly they've changed their mind when they're up for a replacement in Kumabear's case?
If the bracket is already folded and it is cracking ialong the fold then the bend radius is too tight and the edges of the material at the bend have not been radius-ed either, both these things induce stress points in the fold of the steel and this is where the brackets will fail.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Old 27-06-17
Valued Member

Well I really hope that the sub frame has not been damaged.

Are there any other guys who would like to speak up regarding the OL bars as to the condition of their brackets? NFT5 yours are fine yeah?

I am just hoping once this is sorted that it does not occur again

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:

Last edited by Kumabear; 27-06-17 at 10:03 AM.
Old 27-06-17
Valued Member

Another thing to note is that the holes where the bolts were missing, the bracket was not even lined up with the hole at all at least not at the moment they are not, who knows if they ever did.

Perhaps the bracket not being aligned correctly also added to the issue, I imagine the forces on the mounts would be drastically multiplied for every degree of downward angle that the bar is away from being level.

Wishlist:
Old 27-06-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
If the bracket is already folded and it is cracking ialong the fold then the bend radius is too tight and the edges of the material at the bend have not been radius-ed either, both these things induce stress points in the fold of the steel and this is where the brackets will fail.
Agreed. Which is why I mentioned gussets earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabear View Post
NFT5 yours are fine yeah?
Yep, checked as soon as I saw this thread and no sign of any problem. I'll be monitoring even though I hope this is just a one-off and related to non-installation of the extra bolts.
Old 07-07-17
Valued Member

Well I got it sorted today.

They installed a new fit kit with all new brackets, its not the new bar I was hoping for but its a good result none the less.

I noticed that they used nice high tensile bolts (they did not last time) with wider washers this time around, as well as putting in the bolts that were missing before. The bar is completely solid and feels like a solid part of the sub frame as it should.

Also happily the vibration at idle and certain rpm I have been feeling lately and was worried was engine mounts has vanished, I'd say it was caused by the bar vibrating.

Keen to go get it out on the tracks again

Wishlist: