• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
    Not at all. Somewhere here there is an extract from a factory manual that explains that the air temperature from the MAF sensor is only used by the EGR system.

The engine ECU needs to know the temperature of the intake air in the intake manifold, after it has been heated by the turbo and cooled by the intercooler. That, and manifold pressure, is more relevant the engine than the air temperature by the air filter.
    Roger that, this makes more sense...
    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Talisker
      • Mar 2019
      • Victoria

Nice to have some discussion.
      Yes I do tend to think the engine run away issue is something promoted by the ECU tuning companies that want to get the business of electronically changing your EGR control, I doubt it is a real issue. From my own experience with some pretty old diesel tractors that I would have thought could have suffered due to worn engines it hardly happened, I doubt it will ever happen with my well-maintained diesel vehicle.

At this stage I am going to fit a Catch can as its pretty simple and I would do that irrespective of the resistor mod. l see what electronic info I can get on the ECU control an do some more research before I add that as well.

I do thing the ECU reprogramming is a nice way to address the issue but I reckon for what they do to achieve it they would want to much $$$ but then I haven't ask maybe I should.

Many thanks for all the input.

Comment

• gas55
        • Apr 2015
        • Port Macquarie

Fitted a full blanking plate to my NW nearly 4 years ago, with no problems. Have scan guage in case but never used it.
        The car goes like a train, (diesel electric train)! and tows a caravan.
        Last edited by gas55; 22-02-21, 02:21 PM.
        Greg

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
          Valued Member
          • May 2017
          • Sydney

What about potential for higher combustion chamber temps without EGR and therefore adverse long term effects? I’ve read this in numerous locations.

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
            What about potential for higher combustion chamber temps without EGR and therefore adverse long term effects? I’ve read this in numerous locations.
            From what I have read, the EGR comes into effect only at lighter throttle openings, and stays shut at full throttle, when the temperatures are at maximum. Even if it wasn't this way, how often do you use full throttle (and higher, = max boost) for extended periods? in 6 years of ownership, I have used maximum boost for more than 5 minutes only 3 times - when towing my caravan up steep mountains. Normally, in such conditions, the road speed is governed by bends or other traffic, so the engine speed drops, as does the boost from the turbo. This is what heats things up.

As for run on when shutting down, the engine runs on maybe 0.5 seconds maximum when the A/C is on. It is a minor side effect.

Comment

• pharb
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Tyers,Vic

I don't believe EGR reduces combustion temps from extremes. Only reduces combustion temps when operating conditions allow (ie throttle opening, engine load) to reduce NoX. For example at cruise conditions.

In fact the system uses the reciculated exhaust to reduce the amount of available oxygen in the cumbustion chamber to create a lesser "bang" for the same fuel input. Very laymans explanation.

Combustion temps are likely to be highest at high engine load, large throttle openings/large fuel inputs.

If the ECU was smart enough to recognise dangerously high combustion temperatures it would also be smart enough to reduce fuel input.
              PCOV Member 1107.
              Daily driver NX GLX
              Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
              Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
              Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

And in numerous locations, it's simply wrong.

Heat and temperature are not the same thing. They are related, but different. Skip to The Conclusion if you don't want the boring details.

High combustion temperatures produce NOx (Oxides of Nitrogen), which is bad for the environment, and bad for us.

Highest combustion temperatures occur when there is heaps of Oxygen, allowing a good clean burn of the fuel, and a burn of some of the Nitrogen that makes up 78% of our air.

EGR recycles some exhaust gas, which is low in Oxygen, to stop the engine drawing in so much fresh air (with a little over 20% Oxygen). While EGR is recycling exhaust gas there isn't as much Oxygen, so combustion is less efficient, which means lower combustion temperatures and less NOx. (But more diesel particulates (soot) which is bad for the environment, and bad for us - so they invented the DPF ).

The "heaps of Oxygen / heaps of NOx" scenario only happens under low load, when the engine is running efficiently, and coincidentally not producing as much heat. Higher combustion temperatures, but less heat overall, so our engine can easily dissipate the heat, and keep cool.

When our engines are working hard at high boost pressures, and the ECU is working hard to deliver enough fuel (but not too much) combustion temperatures are actually lower. But so much more fuel is being burned, and so much more heat is being produced, that our engines struggle to dissipate the heat, and struggle to keep cool. Because our engines aren't designed to run at maximum boost / fuel / power (torque) for extended periods of time, the cooling system and the exhaust system simply can't dissipate heat as fast as it is being generated - which is when we get high engine temperatures, and most critically, high exhaust gas temperatures. And, under these conditions, EGR isn't operating anyway.

The Conclusion:

EGR = lower combustion temperatures, lower NOx, higher particulates, low heat = low engine temperatures.

No EGR = higher combustion temperatures, higher NOx, lower particulates, but still low heat = low engine temperatures.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2017
                  • Sydney

I’ve been close to pulling the pin on an EGR delete multiple times.

Why is there so much negativity on the D-Max forums?

Granted, 4 years old now, but what is it about the D-Max that makes so many owners skeptical about the operation of a delete cable??

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2017
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by dhula View Post
                    While I'm picking up what you're putting down, I fitted the resistor mod pretty soon after purchase on our NT and so far
                    Had 1 runaway situation occur and the key shut the engine off (thankfully)
                    Never noticed any shuddering when switching the engine off. It can run on a bee's whisker longer when hot but that's about it
                    Also I just re-read this and noticed the run on comment. It’s not really a run on / runaway situation if the key shut it off right? A run on situation occurs when you turn the ignition key off and it *doesn’t* shut down. So not sure what happened in your situation.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2017
                      • Sydney

Also (sorry 3 posts in a row), just found this from a few years ago..

I’m surprised it didn’t get any replies at the time. If correct it seems to demonstrate that run away engine is unlikely to occur with resistor mod?

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

Granted, 4 years old now, but what is it about the D-Max that makes so many owners skeptical about the operation of a delete cable??
                        In that thread they talk about the D-Max having only one intake air temperature (IAT) sensor, which is the one in the MAF that the resistor alters. There was some confusion about the resistor telling the ECU that the engine is cold, which is a different issue, and not how the resistor works - so irrelevant.

Our engines have another IAT sensor in the inlet manifold, which is the one used by the ECU to determine approprite fuelling. The D-Max guys are adamant that this isn't required, and one of the leading anti-resistor posters (who sells a competing product) wrote:

I struggle to think of a single late model turbo diesel engine with the IAT located after the intercooler - but happy to be corrected.
                        Nobody corrected him about the Pajero, but perhaps they think our engine isn't "late model"?

If the D-Max only has the one sensor, in the MAF, then I can understand their concern - although I don't understand why they didn't ask more questions of those members who seem to have done some significant logging of information.

The Pajero's 4M41 measures and reports intake air temperature after the intercooler, so anybody who chooses to fit a resistor can see for themselves the intake air temperature that is being used by the ECU. I didn't notice any mention in the D-Max thread of OBD-II monitoring of engine parameters, or the intake air temperature that is reported with / without resistors.

Bottom line: not relevant to us.
                        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• pharb
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Tyers,Vic

Appears NJ posted while I was single finger typing, nevermind

Most of that discussion seems to be about how the air temp sensor at the air cleaner is the only ait sensor on the motor and shouldn't be dicked around with (ie with a Munji cable or resistor) because the ECU relies on that information to calculate oxygen content of cylinder fill.
                          One contributor argues that the ECU knows the oxygen content of the volume of airfrom this sensor after it has been pressurised by the turbo and then cooled by the intercooler, seemingly regardless of boost pressure or temperature after the intercooler, and that oxygen content stays static regardless of temperature or pressure, which defies what I learnt in Year 10 science.

A quick google shows the Dmax has 2 air intake sensors, one being in the inlet manifold. One would assume to measure air intake temperature after boosting and intercooling, much like I believe every other modern CRD engine incuding the Paj.

I have fitted a resistor to my NX. Don't know if it affected fuel economy because about the same time I fitted it my wife changed jobs (it is her daily driver) and has now halved the distance travelled per week, but the in town distance has stayed the same.
                          I'm sure my ScanGauge has an air intake reading that shows "normal" readings to suggest it is picking up true intake manifold air temp, not a doctored reading from modified air cleaner temp sensor.
                          Last edited by pharb; 05-06-19, 12:18 AM. Reason: Nj swb beat me to it!
                          PCOV Member 1107.
                          Daily driver NX GLX
                          Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                          Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                          Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• erad
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Cooma NSW

Pharb wrote "I'm sure my ScanGauge has an air intake reading that shows "normal" readings to suggest it is picking up true intake manifold air temp, not a doctored reading from modified air cleaner temp sensor."

My Scangauge shows the Inlet Air Temperature at times in excess of 100 Deg C on a hot day when the engine is working hard at slow speeds. I don't like those levels, but assume it is within normal limits because the engine doesn't go into shutdown mode. The IAT varies all the time, but doesn't change immediately the boost level changes - there is a lag which tells me that the reading is not a fudged value based on ambient temperatures outside the car, but some values which are actually the Inlet Air Temperature.

Comment

• dhula
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2012
                              • South of Perth

Also I just re-read this and noticed the run on comment. It’s not really a run on / runaway situation if the key shut it off right? A run on situation occurs when you turn the ignition key off and it *doesn’t* shut down. So not sure what happened in your situation.

In my situation;

Run on on is talking about the very slightly (micro/mini second) longer time it takes for the engine to come to a complete stop after turning the key off under normal circumstances, usually when the engine is up to normal operating temps.

Run Away is talking about the one time the engine almost run away (ie, reved to full noise and stayed there until destruction despite turning the key off) due to the dealer not tightening/sealing the injectors pipes properly after adjusting the Vv's and the sump filled with diesel. We were lucky that time and the key did shut the engine down and no apparent damage was caused. In my experience it was bloody close to doing it's own thing tho.
                              2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                              2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• markseb44
                                • Dec 2015
                                • nz

Hi, can someone clarify, do I need the resistor mod for an NT pajero? Or can I just blank off the EGR?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X