• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

15W Engine Oil? Non-DPF NX in Sydney climate

Can anybody see an issue with using a 15 weight engine oil (15W-40 to be exact)?

It’s just that the vast majority of conversations I see on the forum about engine oils, I see people using 5s and 10s, no mention of anything thicker. Seeing that the user manual recommends up to 20W - 30, I just wonder about whether the 10 is too thin to provide max protection on cold startups? Also I saw a PDF research paper tonight where they suggest lower viscosity is good for fuel economy but long term engine wear is higher. Can find it again. They actually quoted 10W as low viscosity while 15W was the higher control viscosity.

I’ve ordered a 15W-40 Penrite semi synthetic but can get 10W-40 for virtually the same price.

Also, I’m in Sydney so perhaps it’s the Victorians opting for lighter weights due to colder weather? It’s the Pajero club of Vic after all, I realise lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HeavyPizzaz; 14-10-18, 10:59 PM.
  • ticky
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2015
    • Adelaide

The lighter weight oils are for colder climates. In Adelaide on a cold winters morning it can get down to around 3 degrees.

I use Nulon Full Synthetic, Their website recommends 10W 40. There is a fair bit of leeway, but if I lived in say Canberra, I would be looking for a lighter weight oil.

Steve
    2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• sharkcaver
      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
      • May 2009
      • Perth

Penrite recommend HPR D10. I used D15 in the NP and it showed significant oil viscosity reduction at 7500Km's. I had the D10 tested in the NX @ 7.5K and I reckon I could extend that to 15K. At the moment, I've chosen 10K intervals. Once I get another test done at 10K, I will then see if i extend to 15K.
      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• miniyazz
        • Jul 2018
        • Alice Springs

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
        Can anybody see an issue with using a 15 weight engine oil (15W-40 to be exact)?

It’s just that the vast majority of conversations I see on the forum about engine oils, I see people using 5s and 10s, no mention of anything thicker. Seeing that the user manual recommends up to 20W - 30, I just wonder about whether the 10 is too thin to provide max protection on cold startups? Also I saw a PDF research paper tonight where they suggest lower viscosity is good for fuel economy but long term engine wear is higher. Can find it again. They actually quoted 10W as low viscosity while 15W was the higher control viscosity.

I’ve ordered a 15W-40 Penrite semi synthetic but can get 10W-40 for virtually the same price.

Also, I’m in Sydney so perhaps it’s the Victorians opting for lighter weights due to colder weather? It’s the Pajero club of Vic after all, I realise lol.

My understanding is the lower the first figure, the better the cold weather protection. I.e. I would consider 10W superior to 15W regardless of the situation. However, I would be quite happy remaining within spec i.e. if my car is not being cold-started below -10ºC and the manual says "up to 20W" I would be happy to use 20W. Although probably wouldn't due to the risk of the temperature dropping below -10ºC on e.g. a trip to the Blue Mountains in winter.

Your main concern might be the second figure which I believe relates to warm engine grading. However, again I would consider a thin oil better than a thick oil (so if e.g. 10W 30 and 10W 40 both happened to be within guidelines and available for the same price, I would choose the 10W 30). And if the manual states "up to 30", I would not be using a grade thicker than 30, i.e. 40.

Was there a reason you looked at the manufacturer recommendations and then purchased an oil outside of them?

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
          Valued Member
          • May 2017
          • Sydney

Originally posted by miniyazz View Post
          Was there a reason you looked at the manufacturer recommendations and then purchased an oil outside of them? [emoji3]
          Haha. I ignored the Penrite recommendation and went with my user manual.

I’ve always been confused by these user manuals though. And it’s not like this one is even that old, it’s 2 yrs old. And it suggests that somebody like me in Sydney could put SAE 30 or 20w-40 in and the car would love it!! When I say confused by them, I mean they are so broad, as you can see each arrow row pretty much extends across the whole thing. If you lived in Russia it might make more of a difference.

So my 15w-40 I’ve gone with is smack bang in the middle of that diagram... and Sydney’s climate is pretty middle of the road as far as Australian climate goes...

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
            Valued Member
            • May 2017
            • Sydney

Thanks for all input so far by the way. Still unsure whether I’ll put the 15w40 in. Still another 1,000km before it’s due.

Comment

• erad
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2015
              • Cooma NSW

I live in Cooma NSW - it is fairly cold here. As ffar as I can find out, the local dealer uses 15W-40 oil. He has serviced the car up till now, but from here on, I do it myself. I have some 5W-40 oil for the winter, but will soon change the oil and probably use 15W oil for the upcoming summer.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                Valued Member
                • May 2017
                • Sydney

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                Penrite recommend HPR D10. I used D15 in the NP and it showed significant oil viscosity reduction at 7500Km's.

Sorry for ignorance, I assume this suggests that D15 is too thick compared to D10 which has fared better over 10,000Km?

Comment

• sharkcaver
                  "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                  • May 2009
                  • Perth

Sorry for ignorance, I assume this suggests that D15 is too thick compared to D10 which has fared better over 10,000Km?

They both use the same base oil as far as I know. The D15 has a higher level of viscosity improver added. Its this extra viscosity improver that was breaking down after a relatively short period. The D10 in the NX showed very little reduction over 7.5K, hence I will do a few runs at 10K intervals and retest it again.
                  MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• littleriver
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • Queensland

Use what ever the oil manufacturer recommends for your vehicle (they are the experts) ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• miniyazz
                      • Jul 2018
                      • Alice Springs

Haha. I ignored the Penrite recommendation and went with my user manual.

I’ve always been confused by these user manuals though. And it’s not like this one is even that old, it’s 2 yrs old. And it suggests that somebody like me in Sydney could put SAE 30 or 20w-40 in and the car would love it!! When I say confused by them, I mean they are so broad, as you can see each arrow row pretty much extends across the whole thing. If you lived in Russia it might make more of a difference.

So my 15w-40 I’ve gone with is smack bang in the middle of that diagram... and Sydney’s climate is pretty middle of the road as far as Australian climate goes...

I think they are so broad because essentially the only figure the end-user should be deciding is the cold-starting choice, i.e. the first specified figure (e.g. 5W 30). No matter what the ambient temperature, the thermostat will keep the engine operating temperature within a narrow range for which the manufacturer-specified second figure (e.g. 5W 30) will always be appropriate. So they don't need to show the upper limit of the scale.

Comment

• Morten
                        • Jul 2018
                        • Aberdeen NSW

Been using Penrite HPR Diesel 10W/40 in the last 3 diesel donks of mine over the last 10 odd years....covers the temp range I work/live/drive in all year round...touch wood nothing on the inside has come to the outside of any of them.... 2 motors have 350K on them, the other one had 500K on it( good old 1HZ)..all of them got/get changed at 7500 religiously + oil filter.....the New Pajero will get the same treatment as soon as the warranty runs out...done by the same mechanic.....Me....

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2017
                          • Sydney

Thanks for all the input. I spoke to Penrite themselves and a great bloke named Con had all the time in the world for me and went into great detail. Can’t remember heaps of it haha but ended up returning the 15w-40 and buying the 10w-40.

Comment

• DPJ
                            • May 2019
                            • Sydney

Hi, new here. I was wondering if anyone has looked into buying oil such as the Penrite HPR 10 10W40 in 60L, is it worth the effort?

Comment

• Morten
                              • Jul 2018
                              • Aberdeen NSW

Originally posted by DPJ View Post
                              Hi, new here. I was wondering if anyone has looked into buying oil such as the Penrite HPR 10 10W40 in 60L, is it worth the effort?
                              If the price is right it would be worth it....I usually get the ten litre ones from Super or Repco when they're on sale...I get three and get 4 oil changes out of them that way.....got three vehicles that use the same oil in them now...which is handy..

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X