• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peterng
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2013
    • Northern Rivers NSW

Honda Mower and Generator engines

I have put this thread in for today, as I shake my head in disbelief in how good the Honda Mower and Small Generator engines truely are.

Case 1, It was about 2.6 years ago I drained the fuel tank on my 12yo Honda HRU214 self propelled mower and placed in the back of the shed...
    I was travelling and rented the house out...no need for a mower.
    Just yesterday, I put in some fuel, new air filter and plug in, pull the starter cord and first pull, it started..little bit of smoke..but all was good.

Case 2, I needed a genie whilst I was at work...small plant mechanic only had a EU10i...but with a catch...well, that had to do.., but with a further catch..this genie had not been used for over 5 years. The blokes bought bigger units for work and they put the little one away "just in case"..but in reality they had forgotten about it...for 5 years..until I rocked up and wanted a genie..
    The mechanic got the genie down from the racking, blew off the dust with a air hose..put some fuel in it...pulled the cord and it fired up first go..

I turn off my Stihl farm boss chainsaw for 2 hours and it seems to take forever to fire up again..
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

My Honda Buffalo that was bought as the wifes Xmas present is now 26 years old and still going strong. New wheels on the base though.. It used to mow a very large house block when I was down South. Now its just an average size 1/4 acre block. Only 2 months ago I swapped my 15 year old 2000watt Honda gennie for a brand new 1000watt yammie generator. Mate had just paid $1300 for the yammie when we were on a camping trip 6 months ago. OK for camping but wouldn't do his racing needs. Mate wanted the 2000WATT to run 4 tyre warmers for his race bikes. I use the gennie for camping to charge batteries , if need be. I originally got the 2000Watt gennie for $300 (2nd hand). Truly great machines. Virtually every remote Aboriginal community I visited in NT, WA, SA and Qld had the Honda 2000watt gennies being used as backup or often , the main source of power. I see the latest model Honda is a 2200watt. Bit expensive though(around $2500, I am led to believe).
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Having Fun
      • Jun 2015
      • Adelaide

I managed to pick up a Honda 214 self propelled mower from a mate a few years ago. It had previously been used by a lawn mowing contractor & had died, so he gave it to my mate, who in turn, had stuck it out in the weather for a few years & forgot about it.

A number of years later, he was looking to clean up his block & offered the mower to me. I took it.

I drained the fuel & the engine oil, re-filled them & tried to start it, no go.

I took the bowl off the carby, drained the crap out of there & put the bowl back on, it started first pull.

I sold it on Gumtree for $300.

I love Honda!

Comment

• psproule
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Googong, NSW

At the uni I used to work for we built a 6 camera Television Outside Broadcast truck. It's a largish pantech filled with audio & vision mixers, multiple monitors, computers, racks of interfacing, UPS's, big AC, internal lighting and so on. It needed to be reasonably able to work remotely and we looked at a few towable gennies in the range of 10 to 15kva. But then we saw the Honda EU65i's. Compact for their output, reasonably portable, quiet, long run times, clean output and reliable. Well, before I left we'd put hundreds of hours on a pair of them used to run the entire facility and they never missed a beat. They were so reliable in fact that we often rejected using a mains supply due to less faith in the local grid supply. At times we added additional lighting loads and had them near their full rated output for hours on end, often in 40 degree heat. People told us we were crazy using them for this purpose and that we had to buy a big diesel, but now you see the EU55, EU65 and EU70 powering all sorts of mobile facilities.

Cheers - Pat
        2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
        2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• Stinky
          • Jul 2007
          • Gladstone, qld

Originally posted by Peterng View Post
          I have put this thread in for today, as I shake my head in disbelief in how good the Honda Mower and Small Generator engines truely are.

Case 1, It was about 2.6 years ago I drained the fuel tank on my 12yo Honda HRU214 self propelled mower and placed in the back of the shed...
          I was travelling and rented the house out...no need for a mower.
          Just yesterday, I put in some fuel, new air filter and plug in, pull the starter cord and first pull, it started..little bit of smoke..but all was good.

Case 2, I needed a genie whilst I was at work...small plant mechanic only had a EU10i...but with a catch...well, that had to do.., but with a further catch..this genie had not been used for over 5 years. The blokes bought bigger units for work and they put the little one away "just in case"..but in reality they had forgotten about it...for 5 years..until I rocked up and wanted a genie..
          The mechanic got the genie down from the racking, blew off the dust with a air hose..put some fuel in it...pulled the cord and it fired up first go..

I turn off my Stihl farm boss chainsaw for 2 hours and it seems to take forever to fire up again..
          Not just Honda gear. My 5.5hp Briggs powered Flymo mower is 20 years old this year and is still going strong. It gets blades and a service once a year. Starting to blow a bit of smoke on start up but other than that it's all good. My MTD whipper snipper is years old this year and apart from one spark plug and one primer bulb it has received no love at all.
          Not sure what I'll replace them with when they finally die. I do like the idea of the Victa v cordless mower but I know you won't get
          years out of it.
          Cheers, Mike.
          The story so far.....03 NP with fruit -Sold.
          My15 NX. ARB Steel Bar. LED spots. Dobinson MRR lift. Outback Exhaust Fat Pipe. Intervolt DC Pro Dual Battery setup. Provent. SPi module. MM4X4 Lockup Mate, Paddle Mate & Paddle Shift. Mako 12,000 winch with Dyneema.

I'm the boss of my marriage.....my wife said i could say that!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X