Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Why wouldn't the Ivecko Daily 4x4 be a good thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bru9
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Victoria

Why wouldn't the Ivecko Daily 4x4 be a good thing?

For me there is no standard 4wd that will cut it for me as an overland vehicle primarily.

Arguably the best is 70series and they just dont have enough payload. For example the 79pickup has the space but i would overload it by 300kgs on average. The 79 dualcab is a hybrid or as some say an abomination as its seating destroys trayspace and moves too much weight behind rear axle, the second row seating isnt big enough for a long trip with say 4 guys. To me the 70series are just not practical for civilians.

So after the landcruiser you start looking into things like the Ivecko which on paper has got to be the greatest dam thing i have ever seen. Truley has the payload for 4people going fully self sufficient for weeks at a time with no camper trailer. But reading a bit they look to be problematic, in short again not suited for civilian.

To my mind the big problems with this beast is they have a 3l motor that will have a short life and is just plain wrong for the typical folk wanting this to be the final solution. They are rare so no 2nd hand by the looks which means buying new which the cost is bloody high.

So yeah i saw one in person in a car park and surprisingly they are not that big, just tall. Absolutly love the look and utilitarian design.
    2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Obviously not a convenient vehicle for the city and suburbs at 2.6 metres high and 5.5metres long, make car parking a challenge.

Safety wise there has been a huge improve the with airbags, ABS and body design but these vehicles are not subject to ANCAP testing so it is difficult to say if they are better or worse than a convential 4wd safety wise. They do have a wider track by about 100mm but there is a substantial increase in the height of the centre of gravity when loaded even compared to a fully loaded 4wd with roof rack so extra care when driving is needed.

The 3 litre engine is low stressed only putting out 125kW and 400Nm, the vehicle gets it ability to haul weight by its low gearing which on road has a max speed of 110kph so to me this would be a major concern not having the ability to overtake quickly. Dual reduction transfer case result in 24 forward gears and 4 reverse gears, low,/low first of 101:1 with front, rear and centre diff locks means if you have the room, can keep traction and have ground clearance then these things will go most places. The 90 litre fuel tank would be limiting so you would look at doubling this for extended touring.

Payload wise, if you where using a tray top to carry all your supplies then certainly these vehicles have some serious payload but if fitted with a luxury apartment on the rear the real payload will diminish very quickly.

We recently saw a Inveco Daily easily crossing the Simpson on the WAA line, the same track the Pajero's and Challenger were also easily traversing and at less than half the vehicle cost I know what I would prefer to use for outback touring.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Seigried
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2016
      • brisbane

There is at least one ex- forum members who has one for touring. Hopefully he still checks the site every now and then.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2014
        • Wellington,New Zealand

the problem we have is that most modern vehicles are too bloody good.I wouldnt even begin to consider a pre 2010 landcruiser as they didnt even have air bags.I would love a 70 series wagon but they are 80 000,i can get a brand new pajero for 60 000.and for 90 percent of the time (at least) the pajero would be streets ahead of the LC.
        The problem with those truck based things is just that....they are trucks.
        Dont start googling these things there are some magic set ups!
        If you are set on something like that i think you need a camper type set up based on a small truck/big ute.But thety have there day to dy issues because of their size/driveability.
        For two i think the ulimate thing is the kind of thing Andrew St Pierre white has.I cant think of nything worse than towing a van ,even a trailer has no appeal at all.But thts me
        2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
        BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• stumagoo
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Perth WA S.O.R

My uncle and cousins use a similar wagon for touring with their Motor cycle stunt show setup. they tow a trailer and 2 bikes in the back - 3 people on board and all the stuff for the show. They have tripped across Aus (perth to eastern states) and back several times and the only issues they had with the wagons is rust. Of course these are 2WD ones and stay on road only. but they certainly do the work.
          1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
          *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
          1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Bru9
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2014
            • Victoria

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
            Obviously not a convenient vehicle for the city and suburbs at 2.6 metres high and 5.5metres long, make car parking a challenge.

Safety wise there has been a huge improve the with airbags, ABS and body design but these vehicles are not subject to ANCAP testing so it is difficult to say if they are better or worse than a convential 4wd safety wise. They do have a wider track by about 100mm but there is a substantial increase in the height of the centre of gravity when loaded even compared to a fully loaded 4wd with roof rack so extra care when driving is needed.

The 3 litre engine is low stressed only putting out 125kW and 400Nm, the vehicle gets it ability to haul weight by its low gearing which on road has a max speed of 110kph so to me this would be a major concern not having the ability to overtake quickly. Dual reduction transfer case result in 24 forward gears and 4 reverse gears, low,/low first of 101:1 with front, rear and centre diff locks means if you have the room, can keep traction and have ground clearance then these things will go most places. The 90 litre fuel tank would be limiting so you would look at doubling this for extended touring.

Payload wise, if you where using a tray top to carry all your supplies then certainly these vehicles have some serious payload but if fitted with a luxury apartment on the rear the real payload will diminish very quickly.

We recently saw a Inveco Daily easily crossing the Simpson on the WAA line, the same track the Pajero's and Challenger were also easily traversing and at less than half the vehicle cost I know what I would prefer to use for outback touring.

OJ.
            Thanks. 24gears, that would get tirering quickly.

Comment

• Bru9
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2014
              • Victoria

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
              For two i think the ulimate thing is the kind of thing Andrew St Pierre white has.I cant think of nything worse than towing a van ,even a trailer has no appeal at all.But thts me
              Are you talking about his 78series or somthing else?
              If its his 78series they dont appeal to me as too cramped and i did the numbers- always went over payload by 200odd kilos. I prefer a ute with rear drifta style kitchen setup, canopy and large RTT. but the 79pickup payload gets eaten badly by the tray and alkoy canopy alone.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Bru9 View Post
                Thanks. 24gears, that would get tirering quickly.
                It has 6 forward and 1 reverse gear in each of the 4 ranges availble due to the double reduction transfer cases so think of it as HighHigh, High, Low and LowLow.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

With the weights you want to carry maybe you need a 6wd custom, a few around that
                  start from the 1980's onwards, 80 Series Toyota, ex Armry Perentie and even some more modern takes on the idea.

In 2016 Patriot Campers took the Australian 4X4 world by storm with the release of their LC79 Supertourer dubbed the ‘Black Truck’. The media coverage the Bl...

OJ.

Comment

• Quadcam
                    • May 2008
                    • Brisbane

They are available with 5500 kg GVM as a no-cost option but obviously the driver/s need more than a car licence, probably an LR I guess.
                    ZH Outlander VRX previously NS X V6 - RDL

Comment

• bsperka
                      • Jan 2013
                      • Carindale

Have a google of Iveco Daily 4x4 issues. Some very unhappy campers out there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2014
                        • Wellington,New Zealand

Are you talking about his 78series or somthing else?
                        If its his 78series they dont appeal to me as too cramped and i did the numbers- always went over payload by 200odd kilos. I prefer a ute with rear drifta style kitchen setup, canopy and large RTT. but the 79pickup payload gets eaten badly by the tray and alkoy canopy alone.
                        yes the troopy
                        2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
                        BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Bru9
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2014
                          • Victoria

The biggest problem I see with these vehicles is the cost to do them up and the fact they dont last forever. Sure if they lasted 35yrs frequent use. I think its better to get a good offroad camper with a cheapo 4wd that gets replaced every 10-15years. That fully setup 78 costs heaps for what it really is
                          Something a journalist would want in a war torn country just enough to live out of. But for enjoying your self far too minimal for me even overlanding.

Comment

• Bru9
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2014
                            • Victoria

With the weights you want to carry maybe you need a 6wd custom, a few around that
                            start from the 1980's onwards, 80 Series Toyota, ex Armry Perentie and even some more modern takes on the idea.

In 2016 Patriot Campers took the Australian 4X4 world by storm with the release of their LC79 Supertourer dubbed the ‘Black Truck’. The media coverage the Bl...

OJ.
                            All i can say after seeing that build and price is what is the world coming to? The world has gone utterly mad. And still a boring old 70 series that is cramped. I feel people are spending so much money on caravans, 90grand 4wds and are enjoying them selves alot less than someone in a sedan and old box trailer.

Comment

• Nab
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2012
                              • Perth

I feel people are spending so much money on caravans, 90grand 4wds and are enjoying them selves alot less than someone in a sedan and old box trailer.

I don't think so. Ignoring the cost, would you rather be touring in a 90grand 4wd or a sedan with a box trailer? I know which one I would rather be camping in...

Just because it's a lot of money to you doesn't mean it's a lot to them.
                              SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                              NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X