• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capemanifold
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • QLD

ASX,and the DPF

Hi ,looking at purchasing a diesel ASX early next year ,does this model have any known DPF problems .As a NS Pajero owner I know only too well of the problems with the DPF ,it was a major issue for quite a while.
    Would a new ASX be okay for doing short trips on a daily basis ,or would this be just asking for trouble.The wife will use this car to mainly commute to work and for our family trips to Brisbane (8hrs) ,probably 4 or 5 times a year.
    What is the petrol model like and does it have plenty of power ? , maybe this would be a better option .Thank you
    2007 DID AUTO
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

We bought a ZJ Outlander nearly 3 years ago, and I went through the same circus about petrol or diesel. We finished up buying the petrol model. Have done 36000 km now, and overall consumption is around 7.2L/100 km. Went to Brisbane last week and got 6.7L/100.

We bought the base model - 2WD, 2L petrol engine, manual g'box - the same engine as used in the ASX. I wanted a diesel model, but could not justify the extra cost - for a start, the diesel is only available in the higher spec models and the extra cost was something like $11000. You can buy a lot of petrol for that, and with consumption like I am getting, I think I am well in front. The 2L engine in the heavier Outlander is a bit gutless - especially compared to the diesel ASX we test drove, but overall, my wife is happy, and it is her car so that is important.

Another thing to consider is the maintenance costs. The diesel costs a lot more than the petrol model for service, and of course they have the DPF to contend with as well...

Incidentally, I don't think the diesel model has an auto option if that is your requirement. The manual diesel ASX we drove was a 6 speed and I loved it. The petrol model only has 5 speeds.

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

I'm not convinced of any real benefit of diesels in light vehicles used for short runs. They are more suited to heavier vehicles & longer runs. I'd probably get the petrol - quieter, cheaper to buy & maintain + cleaner for the environment.
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• capemanifold
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • QLD

Thanks for your feedback guys ,petrol one may well suit my needs .
        2007 DID AUTO

Comment

• GHendo
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2012
          • Northern NSW

My son bough a 2011 ASX Aspire with the 1.8lt. diesel motor a few months ago – paid a bit over $14K for it. The woman he bought it off just used it as a daily drive and it only had 59,000km. on it when he got it and it is just like it came straight out of the showroom floor.

He’s wrapped in how well it goes and the fuel economy he gets - under 7lt./100km. around the city. I was a bit sceptical about it having a DPF but there are a lot of vehicles with them today so if you want a diesel you’re pretty much stuck with them.

I investigated the warranties you can buy for used vehicles and was not surprised to find none of them cover the DPF – funny about that !!

Cheers

Geoff
          03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
            He’s wrapped in how well it goes and the fuel economy he gets - under 7lt./100km. around the city. I was a bit sceptical about it having a DPF but there are a lot of vehicles with them today so if you want a diesel you’re pretty much stuck with them.

Cheers

Geoff

We were in Brissy 2 weeks back, and we were getting around 7.2 L/100 city driving with my wife's 2L petrol 2WD Outlander (manual). I would expect more like 5 or even 6 L/100 with a diesel ASX.

Another comment further up was about noise. When we test drove the ASX diesel, I was impressed as to how quiet it was. From memory, I would rate it as similar noise to the petrol Outlander we now have. Performance wise, there is no comparison - the diesel would easily kill the petrol engine - it was awesome. I think that the petrol engine is smoother than the diesel - when our 2L petrol is idling, I cannot hear or feel it at all. It is the smoothest engine I have ever had. Once under full throttle, you can HEAR it quite well. It doesn't seem to have that much go in it however, it is enough to get it up to 100 km/h and stay with the traffic, but it doesn't have much more up its sleeve. It has adequate (just) performance. I think that the up-market models (4WD) are probably better because they have a 2.4 L engine, but that would probably use more petrol then.
            Last edited by erad; 29-09-15, 09:58 PM.

Comment

• GHendo
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2012
              • Northern NSW

Originally posted by erad View Post
              We were in Brissy 2 weeks back, and we were getting around 7.2 L/100 city driving with my wife's 2L petrol 2WD Outlander (manual). I would expect more like 5 or even 6 L/100 with a diesel ASX.
              No, I checked with him - he said that is right but he gets better economy on his trips down on the freeway. While he doesn't 'hoon' around, he doesn't necessarily drive to conserve fuel - ie. he makes use of the power. It is a very responsive little motor and certainly has some 'get-up and go'. I would expect if you drove it really carefully you could get much better figures.

Cheers

Geoff
              03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Merts
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2011
                • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by capemanifold View Post
                What is the petrol model like and does it have plenty of power ? , maybe this would be a better option .Thank you
                I'm also an NS Paj owner, and I would avoid any vehicle with a DPF like the plague, particularly if you are going to be doing mostly short trips. It's also extremely unlikely you will ever get your extra money's worth from the better fuel economy considering the massive difference in purchase price.

We bought a base model petrol manual ASX at the start of the year and it has been awesome. Fuel economy is pretty good, and it has plenty of power. It won't pull up steep inclines in overdrive like a diesel might, but drop it back a cog and it's good as gold.

We get around 7litres/100km on a trip, and 10 or better around town (short trips).
                Last edited by Merts; 07-10-15, 02:01 PM. Reason: Typo
                Merts
                Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• capemanifold
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • QLD

Thanks Merts ,excellent feedback
                  2007 DID AUTO

Comment

• Jeffwatkins
                    • Apr 2015
                    • Jamisontown NSW

All these vehicles and more have a DPF.

• Alfa Romeo Diesel
                    • Audi Diesel
                    • BMW & Mini Diesel
                    • Citroen Diesel
                    • Chevrolet Diesel
                    • Fiat Diesel
                    • Ford Diesel
                    • Honda Diesel
                    • Hyundai Diesel

• Jaguar Diesel
                    • Kia Diesel
                    • Lancia Diesel
                    • Mazda Diesel
                    • Mercedes Diesel
                    • Nissan Diesel
                    • Opel Diesel
                    • Peugeot Diesel
                    • Renault Diesel

• Rover Diesel
                    • Saab Diesel
                    • Seat Diesel
                    • Skoda Diesel
                    • Toyota Diesel
                    • Vauxhall Diesel
                    • Volkswagen Diesel
                    • Volvo Diesel

Comment

• Merts
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2011
                      • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by Jeffwatkins View Post
                      All these vehicles and more have a DPF
                      Yep, lots of diesel vehicles have DPFs, and all diesel vehicles sold in Australia after 1 Nov next year will have one. I'm not sure what your point is though Jeff.
                      Merts
                      Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                      Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• gta1898
                        • Jan 2014
                        • Chester. UK

DPFs have been compulsory fitment since about 2009 here and yes when they first came out there were loads of problems as the manufacturers fine tuned the software to make it work correctly.

My Pajero (Shogun in UK) has one and I monitor it all the time on torque and you wouldn't know it's there but........I do some short trips but mainly longer runs at freeway speeds which DPFs like so no problems for me.

However if you do just city running about then I really wouldn't get the diesel, the only time you hear of issues here are for diesels running around the city and yes as mentioned it's not covered by warranty.

Manufacturers / Dealers here are advising against diesels if most of it's driving are short runs, stop / start etc.
                        Last edited by gta1898; 12-10-15, 05:06 PM.
                        Graham

Shogun / Pajero MY14 SG2 / GLX, Manual, Eiger Grey, Limo Tints, SPV 3.1, 18" Factory alloys in satin black.

Comment

• OldEmmGee
                          • Jan 2016
                          • Adelaide

In my ASX I wired an LED to indicate when the rear window demister was active.

Now, before you all say "What the........" I discovered the rear window demister was activated when the vehicle perfoms a DPF burn-off cycle (increases engine load through alternator demand), so fitting an indicator allows me to notice when this is happening and continue driving until it goes off (takes around 15 minutes I found). Gave me comfidence I was not continually (accidentally) interrupting the burn-off and possibly cause longer term problems...
                          2018 PS; King Springs on rear; Nudgebar; Hardkorr lightbar; rear storage inc Aux battery/Redarc BCDC; Provent EGR filter; Rear diff breather; reversing floodlight; MSA mirrors for towing a Bailey caravan....rarely....

Comment

• draganlada
                            • Dec 2010
                            • sydney

Originally posted by OldEmmGee View Post
                            I discovered the rear window demister was activated when the vehicle perfoms a DPF burn-off cycle
                            How on earth have you find it out...
                            Can anyone check it up if same applies to NS pajero with DPF

Comment

• OldEmmGee
                              • Jan 2016
                              • Adelaide

I discovered this when I was driving one day and noticed my rear window demisting whilst I was driving along......and wondered why.

As I was working at Mitsubishi HQ (Electrical Accessories development) at the time, it was a simple matter to check the technical specs on the vehicle...

Not sure if it applies to all the range, but may be worth checking.....
                              2018 PS; King Springs on rear; Nudgebar; Hardkorr lightbar; rear storage inc Aux battery/Redarc BCDC; Provent EGR filter; Rear diff breather; reversing floodlight; MSA mirrors for towing a Bailey caravan....rarely....

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X