• GHendo
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Northern NSW

Originally posted by Herman4x4 View Post
    ... Does it foam the milk as well?
    Cheers,
    Andrew.
    All you need to do is drive over a bit of rough ground Andrew – that will froth your milk enough

Cheers

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Herman4x4
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2009
      • Melton, Victoria

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
      All you need to do is drive over a bit of rough ground Andrew – that will froth your milk enough

Cheers

Geoff
      Haha, tried that once, it didn't end well. [emoji22]

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
      Cheers,
      Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
      Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• sharkcaver
        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
        • May 2009
        • Perth

Like ilikeachallenge, I use a bialetti espresso machine - but a stainless version, the venus 4 cup:

Then to top it off I heat milk in a stainless frother jug and froth it up with an Aerolatte frother:

The 4 cup pot with frothed milk is good for 2 cups and its beaut. In fact, I dont root around with ground stuff, just a good Moccona instant blend

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Aspey
          • Dec 2015
          • Great Southern Land

We use the Bialetti milk frother and just heat the milk in it on the stove top.
          Bialetti’s Tuttocrema is the simple and practical way to prepare delicious frothy creamy milk, in the comfort of your own home. Fill your Tuttocrema one third with milk and warm directly on the stovetop to your preferred temperature. Remove from the heat and pump the plunger a few times to make frothy creamy milk for y

I have a few different Moka pots and like the basic Bialetti express the best.
          NP VRX DID

Comment

• grhyso
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2012
            • Perth

I've been toing and froing what to do for camp coffee. I used to drink instant but can't stand it now days, then I tried coffee bags, slightly better, then took a stove top espresso maker but that turned into a hassle on days we were trying to get on the road quickly as I had too many dishes to do and I was just heating the milk in an enamel mug and pouring the espresso in. From there I went bag to nescafe cappuccino satchels but they just don't do it for me.

I'm now tossing up between a Wacaco minipresso https://www.wacaco.com/ Either their ground coffee version or for ease of use the nespresso pod version, an Aeropress http://www.aeropress.com.au/ or a french press.

The french press means I don't need to heat any milk up, the other two I do so I'd get a frother, My coffee preference is a latte but a flat white or similar will suffice at camp

Maybe I should get both and just use the french press if we're moving regularly and the espresso for when we're staying in one spot?
            2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

AFTER READING SOME OF THE REPLIES I,M A LITTLE EMBARRASSED!! I THOUGHT I WAS BEING FLASH USING A CLEAN SPOON MIXING MY NESCAFE INSTANT COFFEE......
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• grhyso
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2012
                • Perth

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                AFTER READING SOME OF THE REPLIES I,M A LITTLE EMBARRASSED!! I THOUGHT I WAS BEING FLASH USING A CLEAN SPOON MIXING MY NESCAFE INSTANT COFFEE......
                Need a thumbs up button for that. A friend of mine asked a question on a Facebook camping page about what people are using for making coffee after they upgraded to a camper trailer. The comments ended up in full on fights and the admins had to close it down, quite a few people commenting along the lines of that's glamping or if you want a flash coffee then stay at home.

Sure it's not everyone cup of tea... but I love a good coffee and for not much effort I can enjoy that part of my day while in the great outdoors too!
                2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Wow! I've been glamping?

I've been using a Bodum Travel Press for a few years now, using coffee that I grind fresh with a hand grinder. I also have a single cup drip filter which probably makes slightly better coffee, but is not quite as easy to rinse clean (I don't like to use soapy water on my coffee making stuff... ). I also carry coffee bags in case of emergencies.

Researching coffee makers a few years back, the Aeropress did get good write-ups - one day I might buy one. Or a coffee percolator...
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• sharkcaver
                    • May 2009
                    • Perth

Originally posted by grhyso View Post
                    I've been toing and froing what to do for camp coffee. I used to drink instant but can't stand it now days, then I tried coffee bags, slightly better, then took a stove top espresso maker but that turned into a hassle on days we were trying to get on the road quickly as I had too many dishes to do and I was just heating the milk in an enamel mug and pouring the espresso in. From there I went bag to nescafe cappuccino satchels but they just don't do it for me.

I'm now tossing up between a Wacaco minipresso https://www.wacaco.com/ Either their ground coffee version or for ease of use the nespresso pod version, an Aeropress http://www.aeropress.com.au/ or a french press.

The french press means I don't need to heat any milk up, the other two I do so I'd get a frother, My coffee preference is a latte but a flat white or similar will suffice at camp

Maybe I should get both and just use the french press if we're moving regularly and the espresso for when we're staying in one spot?
                    I don't understand a few things you here.

You don't need to heat milk up with a french press?? Do you mean you will be using the volume of the coffee brew for temperature control and just adding a dash of milk? That wont be a latte, just a flat white.

The espresso creates too many dishes??? No more than the aeropress or minipresso, in fact less due to there being far less parts and none are performance critical. One water bowl, one filter and one receiver. A simple rinse is all that's required. Heating milk for an espresso type brew adds one heating vessel to the washing up mix. I cant see where it creates too many dishes. After 7 days on the CSR I used 7L of water, washing my coffee gadgets daily after use, just rinse and wipe with a paper towel. So water consumption was lower as well. Mind you, I would do a litre of milk in 3 days. The espresso pot is just too easy and super fast.

With the lower volume of water, the espresso, boils much faster than doing a jug of water for the french press. But you need to additionally heat milk if you don't want an espresso or black brew unless you buy a large unit 6+ cup, due to the reduced water volume. No glass to break nor parts to fail such as the plunger filter of the french press. I use a 4 cup unit and this is ideal for 2 frothy whites. Well it works for me.
                    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• grhyso
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2012
                      • Perth

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                      I don't understand a few things you here.

You don't need to heat milk up with a french press?? Do you mean you will be using the volume of the coffee brew for temperature control and just adding a dash of milk? That wont be a latte, just a flat white.

The espresso creates too many dishes??? No more than the aeropress or minipresso, in fact less due to there being far less parts and none are performance critical. One water bowl, one filter and one receiver. A simple rinse is all that's required. Heating milk for an espresso type brew adds one heating vessel to the washing up mix. I cant see where it creates too many dishes. After 7 days on the CSR I used 7L of water, washing my coffee gadgets daily after use, just rinse and wipe with a paper towel. So water consumption was lower as well. Mind you, I would do a litre of milk in 3 days. The espresso pot is just too easy and super fast.

With the lower volume of water, the espresso, boils much faster than doing a jug of water for the french press. But you need to additionally heat milk if you don't want an espresso or black brew unless you buy a large unit 6+ cup, due to the reduced water volume. No glass to break nor parts to fail such as the plunger filter of the french press. I use a 4 cup unit and this is ideal for 2 frothy whites. Well it works for me.
                      I left a bit out of that post. I am not a huge fan of the style if espresso maker you're using only for the fact I've tried for 7 years and still can't seem to get a decent tasting coffee, even at home on the stove with fresh ground beans.

My logic behind the French press was i would do away with a frothy milk style coffee but still get a decent flavour. I hear what you're saying about more to break etc, there are a few stainless steel versions, no way i' d chuck a glass one in the camping kit.

The aeropress uses disposable paper filters so once the coffee is poured it's a matter of rinsing and wiping clean.

I might keep trying with the stovetop espresso maker like yours and invest in a milk frother. If that doesn't yield an easy cup them I'll continue my quest from there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

I might keep trying with the stovetop espresso maker like yours and invest in a milk frother. If that doesn't yield an easy cup them I'll continue my quest from there.
                        I saw a video (probably YouTube, might've been TV?) about using the stove-top coffee pot. They claimed you should start with hot water, because starting with cold water means it takes too long, and over-heats the coffee grounds, leading to bitterness. They also stated the pot should be plunged into cold water immediately percolating finishes, to stop boiling coffee continuing to cycle through the grounds (and "over-extracting" from the grounds).

I'm not sure how much of this is "real" and how much is simple theory, and it doesn't sound too practical for some 4wd / camping situations, but it might be worth experimenting with?

[Pedant]
                        And BTW, "espresso" is coffee made by forcing hot water through ground coffee under high pressure - something like 15 Bar, if memory serves. French press, aero press, stove-top pots make coffee, but not espresso.
                        [/Pedant]
                        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• grhyso
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2012
                          • Perth

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                          I saw a video (probably YouTube, might've been TV?) about using the stove-top coffee pot. They claimed you should start with hot water, because starting with cold water means it takes too long, and over-heats the coffee grounds, leading to bitterness. They also stated the pot should be plunged into cold water immediately percolating finishes, to stop boiling coffee continuing to cycle through the grounds (and "over-extracting" from the grounds).

I'm not sure how much of this is "real" and how much is simple theory, and it doesn't sound too practical for some 4wd / camping situations, but it might be worth experimenting with?

[Pedant]
                          And BTW, "espresso" is coffee made by forcing hot water through ground coffee under high pressure - something like 15 Bar, if memory serves. French press, aero press, stove-top pots make coffee, but not espresso.
                          [/Pedant]
                          Tried all the above, starting with cold water, luke warm, about to boil. Tried tamping from no pressure through to where the water struggled to get through and using a glove I remove the water container as soon as it's finished.

I thought the stove top was espresso as it worked on boiling water creating steam which pressurised the lower canister and forces the remaining hot water up through the coffee grounds into the top canister?

Comment

• Merts
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2011
                            • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                            The 4 cup pot with frothed milk is good for 2 cups and its beaut. In fact, I dont root around with ground stuff, just a good Moccona instant blend
                            Okay, I'll bite Shane. What's the point of using an espresso pot with instant coffee?
                            Why not just boil the water in a billy?

Btw, I've always used a stainless steel french press for camping. With the right ground coffee you get a good brew.

I've recently bought one of the Minipressos from Rays Outdoors. It does an amazing job, and you get quite good crema which the french press can't produce.
                            Merts
                            Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                            Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• sharkcaver
                              • May 2009
                              • Perth

Originally posted by Merts View Post
                              Okay, I'll bite Shane. What's the point of using an espresso pot with instant coffee?
                              Why not just boil the water in a billy?

Time to boil and it actually makes a good instant (if such an animal exists) taste pretty good. Also less inventory to carry and consumes less space. Whether that's due to the pressure build up within the espresso pot, burning of coffee with a kettle or whatever, I don't know. A bit unusual, yep, I agree on that, but it works. Also no ginning around with coffee grinds to be had. A kettle/billy etc takes more time to boil for the same volume of water purely due to surface area of the container and heat loss.

In no way does it make my statements correct, I'm no barista, neither shall I ever be. But it works for me, gives me the same volume 2 cup brew every time, is quick and easy to clean up and I like the taste. At the end of the day, or should that be the start of the day, a good morning brew will do wonders for the rest of the day.

I use ground coffee at home in a dripper with the frothy milk, but I reckon the espresso pot with Moccona is the bomb.
                              Last edited by sharkcaver; 19-05-17, 02:13 AM.

My Journeys

Comment

• sharkcaver
                                • May 2009
                                • Perth

I left a bit out of that post. I am not a huge fan of the style if espresso maker you're using only for the fact I've tried for 7 years and still can't seem to get a decent tasting coffee, even at home on the stove with fresh ground beans.

My logic behind the French press was i would do away with a frothy milk style coffee but still get a decent flavour. I hear what you're saying about more to break etc, there are a few stainless steel versions, no way i' d chuck a glass one in the camping kit.

The aeropress uses disposable paper filters so once the coffee is poured it's a matter of rinsing and wiping clean.

Ahhh, got it. I think someone else mentioned earlier, but I've heard nothing but good about the aeropress. My mate I camp with occasionally has gone all out with his coffee addiction. He just bought an aeropress, so I guess I'll get to try one at some stage. I think he has everything in regards to coffee, right down to a vietnamese coffee dripper. He bought me one too. Too much ginning around for me with ground beans. He claims to get an immediate headache with instant coffee and wont try my brew

If your espresso brew tastes like garbage, then I suggest you need to change beans or slow boil the brew. Heat it too high and it can burn the coffee and change the flavour considerably.

The aerolatte whizzer I linked prior works well. Mind you, down at Yeagerup earlier this year, I couldn't get any froth. Had me stumped. Till I finished that carton and opened another and had froth again. Fat content of the milk or something I guess. My mate reckons UHT lite milk is the go and is sweeter. I prefer a more full bodied brew so stick with normal UHT. I reckon the UHT is better than the fresh stuff (which wouldn't froth at Yeagerup for me - the only one I've found mind you)

I like the aerolatte one because it comes in a handy storage tube, great for camping, throwing in a bag etc. I carry one in my work bag now and cop all sorts of crap from the dudes at work I just bought another, latte yuppy I'm becoming. Next I'll need a handbag

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Aerolatte 56ALTGMOO Moo Milk Frother with Case at the best online prices at eBay!

I'll make you a brew one day and you can evaluate for yourself.
                                Last edited by sharkcaver; 19-05-17, 02:14 AM.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X