• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Its got more knobs on it

Because I know what to expect, having been there exactly 12 months ago today.

An 8 day, solo adventure to perform maintenance on Australia's most remote cache. Begins tomorrow.

* Drive to base camp over 2 days (1)

* Walk to 40Km return to Nichol's Knob to drop an ammo can off - (yep, I'm an idiot) (2)

* Meet the owners of Lake Wells Station (3)

* Mow the spinifex and get bogged in the dry creek beds of De La Poer Range (4)

* Sleep in a luxury donga at Moolart Well Gold Mine (5)

And if I survive all that, then take 2 days to come home. Another 3000Km adventure for one geocache: GCG3HJ......one I've already found. you crazy bastard.
    Attached Files
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys
  • outbackogre
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2010
    • Melbourne

Yep, you're an idiot all right ... lucky bastard!
    My friends call me Rob; you can call me .... Rob.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    MY12 NW GL DiD auto. 2" MD Lovells/Bilstein lift. Bushskinz underbody protection. Home made rear platform with sliding boxes above and lots of space underneath.

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Sincerely hope you are going to wear better footwear and take more water and food than the last time you decided to go walkies!
      Looking forward to a report on the adventure from you and not the evening news.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Nab
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2012
        • Perth

I echo old Jack, this time I don’t think one thong and one sandal will cut it...
        SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
        NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• sharkcaver
          • May 2009
          • Perth

Originally posted by Nab View Post
          I echo old Jack, this time I don’t think one thong and one sandal will cut it...
          PMSL.....

My boots were ok last time OJ, they are my prospecting boots. A bit heavy and uncomfortable for long walks, but certainly tough enough.

I have purchased some hiking boots this time. They are still tough and uncomfortable, but a bit lighter. Some foam/gel hybrid inserts along with bloody expensive socks didn't seem to help much last weekend - I did a 20K over nighter for practise and ended up with a mighty blister on my left hand big toe.

So, the afternoon before I leave, I will be strapping both feet and toes with micropore and fixomull. Hopefully that takes care of the blisters.

I will also be a lot heavier this time around - no sleeping rough in the desert. A hike tent, mat and sleeping bag is coming along - at the expense of pack weight - I'm even taking a dehydrated lamb roast and mash for dinner.

On top of that, I will be carrying by hand a 2L bladder for use to the 1/2 way point, which will then be strapped to a tree, and an ammo can that has to be taken out to the knob.

If I survive all that, and I'm not flogged like last time, the trip home should be a breeze

The local plod has a full detailed plan of all my waypoints, my planned routes and what the hell I am doing out there. I have a PLB (which just so happens to expire in a couple of months) and 3 gps's for redundancy - cause without GPS, I'm screwed.

So, all the planning and prep I can do has been done. If I fall over, least I fell over doing what I love.

But I can tell you one thing for sure, my bloody feet are going to hurt.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
            PMSL.....

My boots were ok last time OJ, they are my prospecting boots. A bit heavy and uncomfortable for long walks, but certainly tough enough.

I have purchased some hiking boots this time. They are still tough and uncomfortable, but a bit lighter. Some foam/gel hybrid inserts along with bloody expensive socks didn't seem to help much last weekend - I did a 20K over nighter for practise and ended up with a mighty blister on my left hand big toe.

So, the afternoon before I leave, I will be strapping both feet and toes with micropore and fixomull. Hopefully that takes care of the blisters.

I will also be a lot heavier this time around - no sleeping rough in the desert. A hike tent, mat and sleeping bag is coming along - at the expense of pack weight - I'm even taking a dehydrated lamb roast and mash for dinner.

On top of that, I will be carrying by hand a 2L bladder for use to the 1/2 way point, which will then be strapped to a tree, and an ammo can that has to be taken out to the knob.

If I survive all that, and I'm not flogged like last time, the trip home should be a breeze

The local plod has a full detailed plan of all my waypoints, my planned routes and what the hell I am doing out there. I have a PLB (which just so happens to expire in a couple of months) and 3 gps's for redundancy - cause without GPS, I'm screwed.

So, all the planning and prep I can do has been done. If I fall over, least I fell over doing what I love.

But I can tell you one thing for sure, my bloody feet are going to hurt.

get one of these....
            Attached Files
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Phil
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2008
              • Sydney

Mega once again, can't wait for the report.
              Safe travels.
              MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• greybeard
                • Jan 2008
                • WA

Hope the old fella hasn't busted a tank mount or a suspension tower or battery or shockabsorber or a cv cover or had a thong blow out or ........... on his excursion. And I hope his Pajero is ok as well

Comment

• RUGGA
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2014
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by greybeard View Post
                  Hope the old fella hasn't busted a tank mount or a suspension tower or battery or shockabsorber or a cv cover or had a thong blow out or ........... on his excursion. And I hope his Pajero is ok as well
                  02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• RUGGA
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2014
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                    get one of these....
                    Now were talking
                    02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                      • May 2009
                      • Perth

The old fella returns tonight. All is well, I survived 35Km's, solo, on foot of the best the GVD could throw at me - It's devastating stuff to walk. The Paj had no failures (wtf) and I saw some pretty spectacular country. Best of all, I came back with another bottle of cognac. What a fantastic 8 days away. More to follow:

Oh, and GB - funny hats required
                      Attached Files

My Journeys

Comment

• Nab
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2012
                        • Perth

Good job, no breakages must be a first for you...

I know you notified people of your plans, when you leave your vehicle do you leave a note on it in case anyone stumbles across it??
                        SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                        NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• sharkcaver
                          • May 2009
                          • Perth

Originally posted by Nab View Post
                          Good job, no breakages must be a first for you...

I know you notified people of your plans, when you leave your vehicle do you leave a note on it in case anyone stumbles across it??
                          I did think about it the night before, but it's a conundrum....do you advertise you will be away for 27 hours?? Mind you, seeing someone out there would be a fluke.

In the end, I chose not to bother, for the said fluke reason. The coppers had my base camp waypoint, should they have needed it.

My Journeys

Comment

• greybeard
                            • Jan 2008
                            • WA

Well bugga me he's still alive
                            There's a lesson in all this, walk more often, you break less stuff

And you do know that Dan Murphy's doesn't require a 35k walk in the desert to get another bottle of plonk

Comment

• sharkcaver
                              • May 2009
                              • Perth

Originally posted by greybeard View Post
                              Well bugga me he's still alive
                              There's a lesson in all this, walk more often, you break less stuff

And you do know that Dan Murphy's doesn't require a 35k walk in the desert to get another bottle of plonk
                              Haha, the cognac didn't come from the cache this time around. I did however swap my bottle of topaque out there with a freshie. Now I have a 12 month desert matured one to drink

And yeah,nah - I don't want to walk more often - especially after I break something. My feet are broken enough as it is.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X