• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wazza969
    • Nov 2016
    • Strathpine

NX with high KM

Hi All, In 2016 I bought a new NX Pajero as we'd had a really good experience with the old NM Pajero D-iD which had 325,000km on the clock when we sold it, and we'd done nothing to it mechanically except service it and replace consumables.
    I've fitted a catch can to the NX, and I'm about to fit a secondary fuel filter as well due to carbon issues and potential fuel contamination sensitivity. As with the NM, it's been serviced if, when and how it should be to date, and it's just clicked over 90,000km without a hitch (as you would expect).

The question is, does anyone have an NX with a lot of km's on the clock? My mechanic seems to think that the fuel injection systems on these engines may not last much beyond 200,000km, 250,000km at best due to the extremely high pressures they generate.

My theory is that as long as it's serviced properly and the fuel is clean, there's no reason to think that it won't last far longer than this.

I intend to keep the NX for at least 10 years, and I wanted to know if anyone else has had to rebuild the fuel system simply through wear and tear.
    Last edited by Wazza969; 19-05-19, 03:01 PM. Reason: Spelling error
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Wazza969 View Post
    Hi All, In 2016 I bought a new NX Pajero as we'd had a really good experience with the old NM Pajero D-iD which had 325,000km on the clock when we sold it, and we'd done nothing to it mechanically except service it and replace consumables.
    I've fitted a catch can to the NX, and I'm about to fit a secondary fuel filter as well due to carbon issues and potential fuel contamination sensitivity. As with the NM, it's been serviced if, when and how it should be to date, and it's just clicked over 90,000km without a hitch (as you would expect).

The question is, does anyone have an NX with a lot of km's on the clock? My mechanic seems to think that the fuel injection systems on these engines may not last much beyond 200,000km, 250,000km at best due to the extremely high pressures they generate.

My theory is that as long as it's serviced properly and the fuel is clean, there's no reason to think that it won't last far longer than this.

I intend to keep the NX for at least 10 years, and I wanted to know if anyone else has had to rebuild the fuel system simply through wear and tear.

Here is an old post link from earlier models...

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2016
      • Greater Sydney

Sorry but putting it bluntly your mechanic is a w****r.

Since around 2006 all diesels have been common rail with high pressure pumps.

NS to NX run the same pump. There are many Gen 4s here with over 300,000K on them. We have around 330.000k on ours. Never heard of a Gen 4 having pump problems.

Its the Gen 3 that is known to crap it's pump.

Comment

• DaKaptin
        • Mar 2012
        • Brisbane, Qld

I dont know how those systems in the NX would be any different to NT or NW pajeros... only difference is in a slight tuning thing and dpfs

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
        2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Gone: 2004 NP PAJERO EXCEED with 3.8L petrol and 290,000ks of memories

Comment

• geopaj
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
          Sorry but putting it bluntly your mechanic is a w****r.

Since around 2006 all diesels have been common rail with high pressure pumps.

NS to NX run the same pump. There are many Gen 4s here with over 300,000K on them. We have around 330.000k on ours. Never heard of a Gen 4 having pump problems.

Its the Gen 3 that is known to crap it's pump.
          Agree. You'd be better off asking about 'High KM Gen 4s' (NT-NX are mechanically the same and the NS is very close).

Like you, I tend to keep my Pajeros for a long time. My previous one (NL) had about 330,00 when I sold it to Gemster and I believe it's now over 400,000. My current NT now has over 310,000 is is going strong. I don't have any plans to get rid if it in the foreseeable future. The only real issues Ive had have been a worn out starter motor, deteriated engine mounts, and I also had an 'issue' with the transfer case (which cost $550).

I believe regular maintenance and mechanical sympathy are the keys to long term reliability.
          Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Wazza969
            • Nov 2016
            • Strathpine

Thanks for a quick reply! I'm reassured that plenty of people are getting high mileage on their Gen 4's, I'll keep doing what I'm doing and look after it. Unfortunately I'll keep going to the same mechanic, I've been going there for many years as I trust him, and he's looked after loads of cars for us!

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Wazza969 View Post
              Thanks for a quick reply! I'm reassured that plenty of people are getting high mileage on their Gen 4's, I'll keep doing what I'm doing and look after it. Unfortunately I'll keep going to the same mechanic, I've been going there for many years as I trust him, and he's looked after loads of cars for us!

Keep going to him but just let him know that there are many members on the forum and some have Paj,s with very high mileages and no issues. Good mechanics are hard to find and even they can have preconceived ideas that don't really ring true.
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Huxter
                • Jan 2017
                • Victoria

Following this thread as five weeks ago I bought an NX GLX with 90,000 clicks. Ex-Police Forensics vehicle stationed in rural Victoria near where I live. My mate knew it from new as it was stationed in his home town. It had some good extras fitted like a dual battery system, smart bar and lights, cargo barrier, fire extinguisher, tow pack, hard rear tire cover, extra USB ports and a brilliant service history. I spoke to the local mechanic who serviced it and he said it had hardly been off-road . It was traded on a LC 200 . I bought it from the Toyota dealer who traded it. It had a full 90,000 service and four new Dueler A/Ts fitted before hitting the car yard. My local auto elec fitted an EBC to it thought it was a brilliant buy . I moved up from a V6 Outlander . Love my Mitsis .....this is my fifth . I expect to get 350,00 -400,000 kms out of it. My V6 petrol Outlander did 325,00 without an issue but I wanted to tow a van. The comments here on this site helped my choice

Comment

• bennyb29
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2015
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by Huxter View Post
                  Following this thread as five weeks ago I bought an NX GLX with 90,000 clicks. Ex-Police Forensics vehicle stationed in rural Victoria near where I live. My mate knew it from new as it was stationed in his home town. It had some good extras fitted like a dual battery system, smart bar and lights, cargo barrier, fire extinguisher, tow pack, hard rear tire cover, extra USB ports and a brilliant service history. I spoke to the local mechanic who serviced it and he said it had hardly been off-road . It was traded on a LC 200 . I bought it from the Toyota dealer who traded it. It had a full 90,000 service and four new Dueler A/Ts fitted before hitting the car yard. My local auto elec fitted an EBC to it thought it was a brilliant buy . I moved up from a V6 Outlander . Love my Mitsis .....this is my fifth . I expect to get 350,00 -400,000 kms out of it. My V6 petrol Outlander did 325,00 without an issue but I wanted to tow a van. The comments here on this site helped my choice

I bought my NT about 3.5 years ago when it had completed about 90,000 kms from a used car dealer. It seemed to have lived its life till then as a typical family car, with no towing or off road use. I suppose it was more for the space and 7 seats.

Now the car is at 176,000 kms and i must say i absolutely love it! Regular servicing in which i also got the AT fluid replaced, along with intake manifold clean coupled with a EGR resistor mod has helped make it feel all the more sprightly.
                  Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X