• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Donny22
    • Dec 2018
    • Sydney

Rear lsd or not??

Hi you knowledgeable bunch,

I want to install a rear diff lock in my 2011 NT however my mate just told me that Pajeros have a LSD in the rear. Is that true? And is it on all gen 4s or on a select few? How can I tell if mine has one?
    Thanks
  • craka
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Newcastle (Newie)

I believe all gen3s or gen4s (which includes NT) without factory lockers have a open diff. The older gen2 pajeros had rear LSD
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2016
      • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Donny22 View Post
      Hi you knowledgeable bunch,

I want to install a rear diff lock in my 2011 NT however my mate just told me that Pajeros have a LSD in the rear. Is that true? And is it on all gen 4s or on a select few? How can I tell if mine has one?
      Thanks

You mate is wrong. Very wrong. No Gen4 have a LSD. It's either open or OEM diff lock from the factory and yes you can fit aftermarket diff lock to the open diff.

Comment

• Donny22
        • Dec 2018
        • Sydney

Originally posted by craka View Post
        I believe all gen3s or gen4s (which includes NT) without factory lockers have a open diff. The older gen2 pajeros had rear LSD

Thanks mate. That’s what I thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Donny22
          • Dec 2018
          • Sydney

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
          You mate is wrong. Very wrong. No Gen4 have a LSD. It's either open or OEM diff lock from the factory and yes you can fit aftermarket diff lock to the open diff.

Thanks bud. Do you know if anyone sells OEM diff locks? Or only after market ones available?

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

I believe ARB and TJM do aftermarket air lockers and Harrop Engineering do an Elocker.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by craka View Post
              I thought the Gen 2 rear LSD carried into Gen 3s, until traction control arrived - the traction control was considered to be a replacement for the LSD.

I'm not sure when traction control arrived, but I'm pretty sure it was early Gen 3. I have a vague recollection that it required fly-by-wire throttle, which came with the 3.8 V6 and 3.2 DiD. If so, 3.5 V6 and 2.8 diesels should have LSD. I could be wrong.

Either way, I agree that no Australian delivered Gen 4s came with LSD, and not many Gen 3s.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• craka
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2009
                • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                I thought the Gen 2 rear LSD carried into Gen 3s, until traction control arrived - the traction control was considered to be a replacement for the LSD.

I'm not sure when traction control arrived, but I'm pretty sure it was early Gen 3. I have a vague recollection that it required fly-by-wire throttle, which came with the 3.8 V6 and 3.2 DiD. If so, 3.5 V6 and 2.8 diesels should have LSD. I could be wrong.

Either way, I agree that no Australian delivered Gen 4s came with LSD, and not many Gen 3s.
                I think you might be right NJ, I forgot about Gen 3 starting out without traction control.

Comment

• craka
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by Donny22 View Post
                  Thanks bud. Do you know if anyone sells OEM diff locks? Or only after market ones available?

The OEM diff locks were factory fitted, they were not something installed after vehicle delivery. Therefore were not available to purchase. Unless I guess your able to find one 2nd hand at wreckets etc.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X