• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Triton Raptor Rival

Don't get me wrong. I'm not looking to buy a ute, it's been a long time since I last considered one. But Triton is 3rd in the market behind the Hilux and the Ranger.

Toyota have Rugged X (is that right?) and Ford have set the bar with the Raptor. So if Mitsubishi want to compete, they need an equivalent.

The pics look good, I like the factory 50mm lift, but the devil is in the detail.

Are they doing anything to the engine? On paper, the Triton's standard engine isn't in the hunt. Peak torque value is too low, and too high in the rev range.

Will they serve the same transmission? On paper, they need the Pajero Sport's 8 speed to compete with the Raptor's 10 speed.

Spec wise, for interior accommodations and safety features, it seems widely accepted that Triton has set the bar. But I can't imagine too many buyers consider that "sexy" enough in this market, and this is ultimately a "premium" market segment - I can't see Mitsubishi's "value" prospect dragging too many buyers from the Raptor, or competing with the "Unbreakable" Hilux.

An image leader such as this has great potential to draw attention to the brand, and boost sales of lower spec models. But this model will be competing against rivals with real substance, and Mitsubishi needs real substance to compete. An under-done attempt could do more harm than good.

Here's hoping that Mitsubishi can produce a Triton that could tempt me out of my Pajero.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
  • Seigried
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2016
    • brisbane

Love the roof rack with what look like intergrated lightbars

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• DID Dash
      • Aug 2016
      • Australia

Not my cup of tea! Give me the wheels, tyres and suspension lift from the factory, they can keep the body kit which will be easily damaged off-road and dull performance. Maybe styled for the Thai market where it is a popular cruiser and people carrier?
      17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• NJV6
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2010
        • New Zealand

NZ had one of the mq model - didn’t sell many at nearly twice the price.

Called the huntaway.

At Andrew Simms, we have 627 Vehicles for sale, so if you're in the market for your next vehicle, visit our Dealership to take a test drive or buy online today.
        1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
        1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
        2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• Pickle
          Administrator
          • Jun 2007
          • All over Oz

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
          NZ had one of the mq model - didn’t sell many at nearly twice the price.

Called the huntaway.

https://www.andrewsimms.co.nz/stock/...subishi-triton
          And it only had Easy Select 4wd
          Dave
          NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
          Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• NOAHPAT
            • Jun 2019
            • fresno

50mm looks much more better then the next units.

Comment

• KPJero
              • May 2019
              • QLD

What's with the double front bumper? It's like another ute is trying to escape below the another ute

Comment

• dhula
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2012
                • South of Perth

LED lights in the roof pod - not for me thanks, I'm not a fan of roof mounted lights personally. Work/camp lights are fine but not for driving, I jsut don't like them

Grab handles in the roof pod+side steps along the sides - So operators can use it for CT/SWAT work straight out of the showroom

Tyres and lift - As JC says, Yesssss

But the big turn off for me, which it has been for a long time with the latest generation Tritons, is the awful rear tub/tray with the long overhang out the back. Just not a fan of the look at all
                Last edited by dhula; 30-06-19, 10:48 PM.
                2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by dhula View Post
                  LED lights in the roof pod - not for me thanks, I'm not a fan of roof mounted lights personally. Work/camp lights are fine but not for driving, I jsut don't like them
                  If they reflect off the bonnet / bull bar, they're horrendous. If they don't reflect, they're better.

Any lights below the driver's line of vision will create a shadow behind any lumps / bumps on the road / track - a shadow that is visible to the driver, and can make it hard to judge what may be in that shadow.

Any lights above the driver's line of vision can shine further down behind such lumps and bumps than the driver can see - no shadows to be seen.

But the lights need to be back far enough / low enough so they don't reflect off the front of the car - 9" spot lights mounted to the front edge of the roof rack won't pass that test. A low profile light bar, mounted low to the roof and far enough back, is a great solution.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Meth'd_up_Mitsi
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Caboolture

Looks like Mitsubishi are just trying to compete with the Hilux. Which is nothing more than wheels, a slight lift kit and a sticker pack. They will never entertain the full house development that went into the raptor which has alot of differences between it & the regular ranger. Why? Because Mitsubishi Australia have been included in the development of the all new 2021 triton which apparently will have a 'sports' off road model similar to the raptor.. I think they will have left their run too late tbh, as the true full sized trucks such as the Toyota Tundra, Nissan's Titan, GM Silverado & the Ford F-150/250 will have flooded the market.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X