• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

Snatch strap - keep or throw?

I've always carried a snatch strap in the rear drawers of the Paj. Kind of like having one there along with a couple of shackles, just in case. That's probably why it's never been used! If I didn't carry it, I'd probably have needed it for something somewhere along the way at least once!

Anyway, it's been in there for probably 10 years. Over time I think other unknown stuff in the drawers has leaked onto it. After handling the strap my hands feel very oily. Not just one small bit, but the whole thing.

Now, would you all consider this strap contaminated and potentially unsafe to use? I think so but am after more knowledgeable opinions.

A few $ to replace it doesn't concern me.

When I do trips I always chuck the other bag of recovery gear in the car anyway so there's a good strap in there....
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

I'm not aware if there is anything written saying so regarding contamination but I'd be chucking......not worth the risk and not knowing exactly what has lesked onto it, you dont know the integrity of the strap anymore
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Just Cruzin
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2014
      • Pakenham

If in doubt, throe it out.
      99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• Seigried
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2016
        • brisbane

Throw

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Too many things can go wrong with snatching. If you have any doubt - don't.

If you have doubts about the strap, destroy it.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Alex86
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Here and there

Makes sense. Thought that might be the consensus. I'll put a knife through it and bin it tomorrow.

Thx all.
            '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Comment

• dhula
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2012
              • South of Perth

Don't bin it, recycle it.
              Cut the ends off, give it a good wash and make a swing for the kids out of it
              2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
              2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Alex86
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Here and there

Originally posted by dhula View Post
                .... for the kids.....

I got none!

Comment

• El_Freddo
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2018
                  • Bridgewater, Vic

I’d machine wash it and give it a go. If it’s going to fail it’s not going to take a shackle with it - and this is where the real danger is.

Carry a spare that’s appropriately rated to your vehicle’s weight.

Cheers

Bennie
                  2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• amec
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Wamberal

Cut it and throw it out and replace it. Not worth the risk.
                    PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• rhys
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Melboune

Life safety software for rope rescue has a 10 year life span, but I have seen manufacture tests of unused 10 year old software (slings and ropes) that had been stored out of sunlight where they performed at the same standard as new and sun damaged (UV damage is one of the biggest problems) at up to 90% of new.
                      If it’s been stored out of the sun and contaminates I would keep it and use it, after all it’s not life safety (your not hanging on it 50 floors up) but in the end it’s your decision and a relatively minor cost to replace, Rhys.
                      NT GLS Diesel auto LWB.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X