• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HaydenT
    • Mar 2012
    • Burwood

Chinese Starter Motor Vs Genuine

Hey,

Jumped in the NM the other day and the noticed that the starter motor was struggling to turn the engine over (4-6 REVOLUTIONS). Over the last week it has been getting worse and worse. Last time this happened I got the starter motor reconditioned and after that it started on the first revolution.

That was 80,000km ago so im guessing it the same problem again?
    Battery is definitely fine, alternator is working according to the voltmeter.

I rang Mitsubishi and they quoted me $960 plus GST.
    I looked on ebay and they are $290 plus $20 postage.
    To get it reconditioned buy a auto electrician last time cost me $190

Is anyone running on of the ebay starters and has anyone had any issues with them?. Because unless the genuine one is going to last 3 times as long, it seems pointless to buy the genuine.

Details:
    3.2DiD NM Pagero
    Ebay Starter:

Cheers, any help would be appreciated.
    9 stage adjustable Tough Dog 2" Lift, 33" MT's & 31" AT's, Custom bash plate and sump guards, UHF, 12000lb Winch, Bullbar, LED Interior, Rear cargo draws and barrier, Rock sliders, Scrub bars, Air Compressor & 19L tank, Flat roof rack, Lightforce 240 Blitz', Boost gauge, Upgraded turbo 15T, EGR Mods, Custom top mount intercooler with in out temp gauge, plenty of battle scars
  • Ian Sharpe
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2000
    • Tasmania

I agree , Mitsu pricing is outrageous.

what about a wrecker??
    NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
    NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• HaydenT
      • Mar 2012
      • Burwood

Originally posted by Ian Sharpe View Post
      I agree , Mitsu pricing is outrageous.

what about a wrecker??
      Yeah ill check it out, but could just be buying someone else's problems.

Cheers
      9 stage adjustable Tough Dog 2" Lift, 33" MT's & 31" AT's, Custom bash plate and sump guards, UHF, 12000lb Winch, Bullbar, LED Interior, Rear cargo draws and barrier, Rock sliders, Scrub bars, Air Compressor & 19L tank, Flat roof rack, Lightforce 240 Blitz', Boost gauge, Upgraded turbo 15T, EGR Mods, Custom top mount intercooler with in out temp gauge, plenty of battle scars

Comment

• HaydenT
        • Mar 2012
        • Burwood

Starter Motor Update..

Rang the wreckers and they quoted $220 for a starter that had done 122,000km

Decided that the after market starter would be the best option.
        It arrived in the mail in 3 days, weighed 5.5kg.

Upon inspection it is different to the genuine. Removed the broken one and the comparison is below in the photos.

The after market is a straight style motor and gear box. The genuine has an offset gear box to motor set up.

The change over was easy and the after market starter was easier to place in because it didn't have an offset.

The after market starter motor has plenty of torque and started the engine with ease. VERY IMPRESSED with the product so far.

In Comparison.

Genuine:
        2.2kW
        Offset construction
        $1056
        6.2kg (seems to have more weight tied up in the offset casing)

After market:
        2.2kW
        Straight construction
        $289
        5.5kg

Hope this helps people make a better decision when replacing their starter in the future.

Cheers
        Attached Files

Comment

• peanut
          • Nov 2007

I had my starter motor die a while ago, didnt even waste anyones time checking the price for a genuine one. Got a brand new bosch one for $190, didnt want to go chinese crap. Big mistake, the bosch was made in Korea, and the housing clashed with the ring gear. The auto sparky i bought it off stripped it and the original and put the internals from the bosch into the case of the old one. Aparently this is done on every second bosch he sells, charged bosch more than the cost of the starter to do the work. would look at the chinese copies next time more carefully rather than assuming the 'brand name' quality.

Comment

• pauld
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2010
            • Melbourne

My recent new one came from http://www.ashdown-ingram.com.au/ for around $500
            2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• big mik
              • Feb 2012
              • Adelaide

4 cheap ones or 1 expensive one?

I like the odds

There's a guy on Ebay recons in Adleaide, about 190 bux for heavy duty. Not needed his services yet though.
              1988 NF V6 superwagon, 2 Inch suspension lift, 31 inch AT's, AM & UHF radio, twin HID 7inch driving lights, 20 inch LED light bar, Reese rear tow bar, Ally bull bar, Tigerz 11 Roof cage and awning complete with LED's and remote dimmer, LED side marker lights on the sills, 2 rear 10w LED work lights, Rear view camera. Bluetooth radio for hands free phone. 1200Lbs winch

Comment

• johnno87
                • Apr 2012
                • perth

I'm an auto sparky and have used oex branded units for over 5 years, little bit more expensive rhan the cheaper odd brands but far better qaulity in both fitment and reliability, don't think a lighter unit is better either, the off set design ofthe genuine unit is due to the reduction drive gears built into the unit to reduce load on the starter motor which means less load on your battery while cranking and longer starter motor life span
                99 nl v6 auto - Up and running take II

And the mods have begun

Yokohama Geolander A/Ts
                Sony Mechless Mp3 Tuner
                Custom cargo barrier

Comment

• goldnugget
                  • Jan 2011
                  • Qld

Originally posted by johnno87 View Post
                  I'm an auto sparky and have used oex branded units for over 5 years, little bit more expensive rhan the cheaper odd brands but far better qaulity in both fitment and reliability, don't think a lighter unit is better either, the off set design ofthe genuine unit is due to the reduction drive gears built into the unit to reduce load on the starter motor which means less load on your battery while cranking and longer starter motor life span
                  Gday mate...I have fitted my second oex 'enduro' starter to my 3.0 petrol (NH Auto) within a short time, the first I had probs within a couple of days as the solenoid wouldnt kick in to engage the starter and the second one is starting to do the same (if I tap it with a stick while turning the key it will start).
                  I'm not sure if its a heat issue in the engine bay (it does get a little hot in there) or if these units draw more power to the solenoid that the paj ocasionally is not supplying over the original.
                  I dont think its an ignition switch issue, like I said if I give it (the solenoid)a tap, it engages and theres no issues for about 10 starts, the starter is only a few months old. Have you experienced this at all with these starters? I am thinking of going back to the supplier and ask them to follow it up with the company for ideas. Once it engages its fine (plenty of power to crank) its just getting the solenoid to engage consisitantly that is the issue. I dont want to change it over again unless I know for certain whether it may be an issue with the starter solenoid or my car (relay or something restricting power) Early voltage tests on my wiring shows normal voltage ranges .

Comment

• HaydenT
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Burwood

Starter Motor Update..

Sorry to bring up an old thread, had to do my first bit of maintenance on my eBay Chinese starter motor over the weekend.

I drowned it in a bog hole out at Lerderderg state park on Good Friday and two weeks later the starter slowly got worse and worse then stopped.

This isn't the first time I've drowned the entire car and had to pressure wash and Rug Dr the interior, but it was the time that starter failed after.

After pulling it apart and emptying the mud out of it, I inspected it and found the rubber seal just before the planetary gear box had failed, hence letting the water in.

I cleaned it with degreaser then contact cleaner and compressed air, put some roof and gutter silicon over the break in the rubber seal and put it back together.

After letting it dry it cranked like a champ! 4 years with only this minor hitch, and at 1/4 the price of genuine, if it failed tomorrow I'd get 16 years before it cost me the same as genuine.

This is only my experience however, I hope this helps anyone with the genuine vs ebay decision.

Comment

• Jwc
                      • Jan 2017
                      • Qld

Third starter in 14 years

Originally posted by HaydenT View Post
                      Starter Motor Update..

Rang the wreckers and they quoted $220 for a starter that had done 122,000km

Decided that the after market starter would be the best option.
                      It arrived in the mail in 3 days, weighed 5.5kg.

Upon inspection it is different to the genuine. Removed the broken one and the comparison is below in the photos.

The after market is a straight style motor and gear box. The genuine has an offset gear box to motor set up.

The change over was easy and the after market starter was easier to place in because it didn't have an offset.

The after market starter motor has plenty of torque and started the engine with ease. VERY IMPRESSED with the product so far.

In Comparison.

Genuine:
                      2.2kW
                      Offset construction
                      $1056
                      6.2kg (seems to have more weight tied up in the offset casing)

After market:
                      2.2kW
                      Straight construction
                      $289
                      5.5kg

Hope this helps people make a better decision when replacing their starter in the future.

Cheers

Just put the third starter on. The original lasted 10 years before failing to start at all. In retrospect i wish i had kept that as it was likely just the solenoid failing. But when you are stuck in a basement car park you just call racq and do what they say. The second starter lasted only 4 1/2 years before it started slow turning and seemed about to fail. It was a unipoint taiwan version. The new one is an oex so will see how it goes.

A few points observed. I suspect the offset gearbox on the mm version may be to improve airflow over the armature section as i noticed the second starter seemed as hot as the engine block after driving. Heat could be a significant factor in the life expectancy of these things. On that point i have started towing recently and expect the engine naturally runs a little hotter than normal driving anyway. I don’t think the mm starter would be any lower gearing than the others which are using a planetary gearing configuration.

Comment

• rykiel575
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Sydney

There is a bosch unit available for the 3.2L 4m41.

It is pretty affordable too.

I suspect it is just the unipoint starter as unipoint was bought by Bosch.
                        I compared the two and they were 99% identical when I replaced my starter in my NP Pajero.
                        2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• GHendo
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2012
                          • Northern NSW

I’ve got a Bosch installed in my NP Di-D and it seems to be working ok so far – came from Burson’s for a very reasonable price. The original MM starter lasted around 250,000km. before it bit the dust, and I’m a bit sorry I didn’t get a new MM one – the auto electrician maintained the old one wasn’t repairable.

Having said that, be very careful of buying from the Internet – the first new “Bosch” I bought on the web turned out to be a reconditioned MM one that hadn’t been reconditioned very well at all. It was even packaged in a new Bosch box, so be very careful of this type of trickery.

Cheers

Geoff
                          03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X