• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GHostNizal
    • Nov 2016
    • Plane-t earth

Originally posted by Onyx View Post
    One of note involved a local farmer who gated the road through Belowra (Belowra Rd) at both ends of his property which is a public road because the local council wouldn't maintain the road. Anyone who tried to pass through had a few shots popped over the bonnet. I know someone who was chased by some dude in camo with hunting dogs in a pretty remote part of the Deau. There is a local dude who regularly threatens people passing his property and is known locally as the South Coast's Ivan Milat. A lot of local 'agriculture' you don't want to stumble across and get caught too, both in the NP and SF.

Have fun!
    Lol sweet.... makes the wilderness all that more exciting..... hahah, Ah yes renegade agriculture, stumbled upon an old set-up locally (actually the first time I went down a dirt road and parked up down here, too late harvest had been done though. Smelt what I was sure was more up in Bolaro the other day too, was enough to make me pull over and investigate I didn't trek to far though as it was hot as shit and was unprepared.

Thanks heaps for the track list, gives me a good lot of options to get the ball rolling. Looking at some videos of monkey gum too, looks pretty gnarly...

On a side note while chopping my bump stops today I noticed all three front diff mount bushes require replacing. (about the only thing on the front that isn't new, wish they were busted a few months ago when I had the diff/motor out, not super stoked about pulling it all out again)

Comment

• GHostNizal
      • Nov 2016
      • Plane-t earth

So who's keen to go visit Ivan........

Comment

• GHostNizal
        • Nov 2016
        • Plane-t earth

Also anyone familiar with Carls Mountain Trail in the Murramarang NP just north of Batemans?
        I went there yesterday in the rain which was fun (although I forgot I had my fav fishing rod on my rack and snapped it ), the track is fairly tame overall but there is one gnarly as hill climb at the bottom on a side shoot. I have done it fairly comfortably in the dry but wasn't too keen in the wet... But right next to it is an even crazier climb up the same section just steeper and with a good sized diagonal rut midway up... Not brave enough to attempt this in the dry even... I could see tears if you didn't get it right, you would definitely want to get it in one go... I was having a play a few nights ago too and stood at the top with my torch, fuk she's steep, can't see the track beyond the rut

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

Onvyx replied, in part:
          "Anyway, a few roads/loops you might want to check out:
          Coondella Fire Trail, Womban Fire Trail, Womban Link Fire Trail.
          Into Bendethra from Moruya - in the dry you'd get a RAV4 in there that way.
          Dampier Fire trail out of Bendethra.
          Minuma Range Fire Trail
          Middle Mountain Road Fire Trail to the old Cooma-Braidwood Road
          Badga Fire Trail
          Belowra Rd to Nerrigunda
          (you can link all the above together over a big weekend - all in Deau NP)

Further south are trail around Peak alone/Wandella:
          From the Belowra Rd you can cross the Tuross River onto Wandella Rd which becomes the Peak Alone Fire Trail
          Peak Alone Link Fire Trail is fun to drive up.
          There are powerline tracks on the south side of Peak Alone/Wandella Fire Trail which will have you reaching for diff locks at both ends.
          Brassknocker Fire trail to Supers Fire Trail - just past supers fire trail is a great camp site, inc male and female drop toilets made by some locals near the river."

Agree with all of this. The Middle Mountain Fire trail, I believe, is also called Falcon Road (or part of it is). We took my wife's TF Magna down there once, but I don't think I would go the other way up the hill in it. It is quite steep. It comes out onto the highway near Bodalla. There is a creek crossing at the bottom of the main descent which could stop you after rains.

Bethenderra valley is OK and accessible from the bottom, but more challenging coming in from the top. The road at the top is the Cooma - Braidwood road (also called the Snowball road). There is a large sink hole at Berlang. Well worth the 40 minute walk from the road. You have to wade through the Shoalhaven River to get to it, and a moderate uphill walk, but worth doing.

The Badja fire trail is good. The views from Mt Badja are stunning. Similarly, Peak Alone. Wadbilliga is almost a public road. It can be washed out after rains etc until they grade it again. Glorious views across the valley from this road.

Further South again is Wolumna Fire Tower. There are some good 4WD tracks coming off from near the top of the access road (that starts near Wyndham and is a good gravel road to the top).

You couldn't do all of the above in a day, but you could plan a day trip to cover, say from Cobargo to Peak Alone, go up Wadbilliga and then along the Snowball road back to Braidwood. Similarly, Bendethera and up to Snowball road, then Berlang etc as another day trip. We regularly head off down to the coast via some devious route (Eden, Merimbula or Bermagui) for Fish & Chips, then come home via some another trek if we have time, or else we will just come up the highway to get home. It is a lovely area to live in.

Comment

• GHostNizal
            • Nov 2016
            • Plane-t earth

Its all going to be driven no doubt in the coming months... I appreciate the input fellas

I would love to see someone tackle this little hill challenge I'm on about, until I see someone else conquer it I don't think I'm brave enough to try even down it would be sketchy enough I reckon..

Thought I had my younger bro half convinced to pick up a paj to take bush a few days ago but he changed his heart One day, the sooner he gets a 4x4 the better tho, I need a recovery vehicle lol, just..... in case, not a massive fan of solo exploration

Comment

• GHostNizal
              • Nov 2016
              • Plane-t earth

went for a short wheel today and found the courage to have a crack at the gnarly hill I mentioned earlier... Made it up without too much fuss,was a little sketchy by myself but boosted the confidence in the paj's abilities that's for sure.. Photo doesn't do it any justice, way steeper and rutted than it appears....
              Attached Files

Comment

• gecko
                • Sep 2011
                • Sydney, NSW

I know that hill... got half way up and realised that Low range had not engaged. Massively scary. Made it to the top but it was the sign of problems to come. Replaced my DMF/clutch and reconditioned the gearbox/transfer case the next week. The old girl has been great since.
                NW VRX DID, Auto.
                Wish list: a good wash...

Comment

• GHostNizal
                  • Nov 2016
                  • Plane-t earth

Originally posted by gecko View Post
                  I know that hill... got half way up and realised that Low range had not engaged. Massively scary. Made it to the top but it was the sign of problems to come. Replaced my DMF/clutch and reconditioned the gearbox/transfer case the next week. The old girl has been great since.
                  Nice, you wouldn't want to stop that's for sure... no low range would be horrible to attack it with..
                  Its in Murramarang National Park for anyone interested.

Comment

• GHostNizal
                    • Nov 2016
                    • Plane-t earth

Originally posted by Vix2010 View Post
                    Hi GHostNizal,

Myself and my family come down to Surf Beach nearly every fortnight, I did a track near Tomakin with some big ruts had to turn around as the track was getting harder. Probably not the best to do with one 4WD. There is some other tracks if you head into Catalina and go up the back, can't explain where as I only did it once.

Dog Trap road is also good it's behind surfbeach you end up out near mogo.

Was this Bevian Road Vix? I went down there today - was a good little track, also did a good little powerline track behind dog trap road while I was out...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X