X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveXT
    • Mar 2010
    • Melbourne Outer East

The HR bar looks better and allows better clearance offroad but is otherwise no "better" than the MM one.
    The manual has plenty of grunt and it's rated to tow 3000kg so should suit you.
    If I were towing 1700kg every day I would probably have it chipped as you may get better economy as well.
    When did the dealer tell you your LS will be delivered?
    It appears they are very thin on the ground at the moment.

Comment

• Hayden
      • Jun 2010
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by lynee View Post
      why will it void the warrenty / is that a real problem , I can't understand why I can't use a better towbar? I will be towing a 16 ft full height van weighing about 1700kg max ( although with only my stuff in the van it will be a lot less than that LOL) therefore will I need a chip or upgrade ( I will be getting a manual sometime !!!!! )
      Hi some Dealers will tell you it voids the warranty but what they are doing is playing fast and loose with the warranty language. All aftermarket non genuine items and any issues with them are not covered by the warranty. The Hayman Reese bar (I have one fitted) is a fully ADR approved design and is far superior to the MM factory bar (departure angle, looks). The only issue I had was the Challenger when fitted with the Hayman Reese WDH has the ball height higher than the MM one. So if you go the Hayman Reese path get the longer drop tongue fitting or if you are using the Weight Distributing Hitch system get the Hayman Reese Adjustable Ball Mount, ID-9520 Part Number: HR-50028 when you purchase the towbar. This allows you to set the towball height down low enough to run the car caravan level with the WDH on.
      (Hayman Reese Adjustable Ball Mount, suits the Hayman Reese weight distribution bars, but gives a greater offset than the standard one. This is classed as 100mm, the third hole down is 100mm below the shaft centreline.
      Range-up = +160mm to +255mm
      Range-down = -35mm to -135mm"

I tow a 1650KG poptop and have just returned from 5 weeks holiday with the wife. We traveled from Adelaide to as far as Torquay along the Great Ocean Road. Racked up over 1200 Kms with the van on and 2200 Kms with the Challenger alone. I am so impressed with the pulling power and overall performance that I have now changed my mine about rushing out and getting an aftermarket chip setup for the motor to boost power.
      About two thirds of the Kms were with the Challenger alone over various dirt road tracks deep into the Otways. As the wife says I have a problem - See some dirt and gotta drive down it!
      Fuel economy towing the van ended up averaging out at14.9 L/100Km with an overall trip average of 13.5 L/100Km when driving without the van was added in.
      The roads we used were certainly not flat and level for a lot of the trip and we had a lot of side winds and on some days high headwinds.
      The only issue we had was a squeaking serpentine belt (Main fan belt) and I popped into the MM dealer at Warnnambool and they immediately fixed it ( seemed a pretty good mob, Head mechanic saw the catch can I had fitted and wanted all the details for some of his clients with Tritons and carbonned inlet manifolds).
      If you need any more info just post here or PM me.
      PB LS Challenger Auto 5 Seater , Tinted windows, H/R Towbar, ECB Big Tube polished bull bar, Tekonsha Prodigy, Rhino roof racks, CTEK DC-DC dual battery system and battery mounted on a false floor, GME TX-3340 80 Channel UHF CB, Bushskinz protection plates, Narva Ultima 175's Combo, Way too many GPS systems (Magellan 600 Explorist, TomTom running Hema Maps, Laptop/GPS mouse running Oziexplorer and Hema / Garmin Topo V3) + Android Tablet/Copilot, Chipit System.

Comment

• lynee
        • Jun 2011
        • tuncurry

hayden thanks for info, is your car manual or auto? On the last car I had ,the towbar had a ball mount whereby you put it in one way to have it higher and the other way it was lower, what is this type called? I think I will stick with a hayman reece bar, never had any problems in the past and want it to look "nice". I REALLY Cannot see how it can void the cars warranty.

Comment

• wasarangie
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2010
          • Ocean Grove

I may be wrong here. But a reflash is what the upgrade is, supposedly on the autos. An injector learning procedure is carried out with a scan tool and erasing the "memory" of the injectors,. Then you select the option to re-learn or initialize the injectors again, in effect resetting them to factory original. This is a standard job done on many vehicles, Holden used to do it every second service on the old Calais. I am unsure what they do with our other vehicles.

Anyone care to correct me if I am wrong?

Interesting to note when I got the letter about ECU upgrade and mat recall, I was told my vehicle did not require the upgrade due to it being a manual.

Originally posted by DaveXT View Post
          Seems there is another manual that has had the upgrade that does not exist.

wasarangie

30,000 service done.
          Just had the 30,000 klm service done on the Challenger. While I have had issues with another brand with the local dealer, same name but VW brand, I was happy with the service I got today.

I have noticed on the run home the noise from the engine is greatly reduced. The power gain when it hits boost is much smoother, feels like there is more power lower down the rev range, below 1800 rpm.

They adjusted the valve clearance and did a minor injector learning procedure among a great list of other checks.

But the big thing is it really seems to have improved the vehicle.

The big thing will be how it will affect the economy, I hope it is better. But I got 800 - 850 out of a tank before so I would think that is as good as it gets, but I can hope, can't I?
          2011 PB LS Challenger Manual, ARB Deluxe bar, Warn 9000 lb winch, Ironman 40mm Suspension, Reverse sensors, Window Tint, Hayman Reese Towpack, BushSkinz Bash Plates, IPF 900XS MTZ 265/70 R17 on King Steelies for the off road stuff, Stock wheels for the rest.
          GARMIN nuvi 1450T GPS
          SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• DaveXT
            • Mar 2010
            • Melbourne Outer East

Originally posted by wasarangie View Post
            I may be wrong here. But a reflash is what the upgrade is, supposedly on the autos. An injector learning procedure is carried out with a scan tool and erasing the "memory" of the injectors,. Then you select the option to re-learn or initialize the injectors again, in effect resetting them to factory original. This is a standard job done on many vehicles, Holden used to do it every second service on the old Calais. I am unsure what they do with our other vehicles.

Anyone care to correct me if I am wrong?

Interesting to note when I got the letter about ECU upgrade and mat recall, I was told my vehicle did not require the upgrade due to it being a manual.
            Yes it sounds right to me now, effectively the ECU "unlearns" your driving style same as it does when you disconnect the battery.

Comment

• Hayden
              • Jun 2010
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by lynee View Post
              hayden thanks for info, is your car manual or auto? On the last car I had ,the towbar had a ball mount whereby you put it in one way to have it higher and the other way it was lower, what is this type called? I think I will stick with a hayman reece bar, never had any problems in the past and want it to look "nice". I REALLY Cannot see how it can void the cars warranty.
              Hi Lynee my car is an auto. In my opinion stick with the Hayman Reece. I have used them on four vehicles now and have never had any issues with them.
              PB LS Challenger Auto 5 Seater , Tinted windows, H/R Towbar, ECB Big Tube polished bull bar, Tekonsha Prodigy, Rhino roof racks, CTEK DC-DC dual battery system and battery mounted on a false floor, GME TX-3340 80 Channel UHF CB, Bushskinz protection plates, Narva Ultima 175's Combo, Way too many GPS systems (Magellan 600 Explorist, TomTom running Hema Maps, Laptop/GPS mouse running Oziexplorer and Hema / Garmin Topo V3) + Android Tablet/Copilot, Chipit System.

Comment

• Bobkat
                • Mar 2011
                • Perth Souther Suburbs

I got talked out of the HR hitch because of the supposed warranty issue. The bar they fitted was only 2.5t and part of my contract was a 3t bar. They swapped it out for the HR bar and it really looks like it is made for the car rather than an after thought like the Mitsi one.

If you get the HR one fitted, make certain that are aware of the exhaust rattling against the hitch and will annoy the begesus out of you.

Comment

• maparec
                  • Jan 2012
                  • minden queensland

software upgrade

i just had my 15k service done as well, really impressed with performance and economy up to then, got the car back, same problem as you, economy much worse, power significantly down, bad turbo lag, car was a joy to drive till the service, now it sits in my garage waiting for mm to decide if they can fix it [ they have told me they cant ] "cant reverse software upgrades" driving my old back up car now . actually told the dealer not to do a software upgrade if it was going to effect the cars good economy but they did it anyway. this is the first mitsy ive bought for over 10 years after having problems in the old days . seems mitsy are going to alienate their customers with their we dont care attitude . i have spoken to a number of triton and pb owners recently and all have the same problem since putting their car in for a "genuine dealer" service, used to "love that car"

Comment

• maparec
                    • Jan 2012
                    • minden queensland

15000k service

i was getting 890 klms from every tank 64litre fills when lowlite comes on, all highway driving, 90 - 100 kph, works out around 7.2 l/100 although the trippie reads 8.3 l/100, since the 15k service can only get 750k's to the tank and it is a pig to drive, not happy having b doubles blast past me on uphill sections of the highway, still used to "love that car"

Comment

• 02-SR5
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2010
                      • Toowoomba

Best thing to do is to get a chip installed and have a propper dyno tune conducted.

Only real way to get true performance and economy out of the engine.

Rob
                      MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• 260DET
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2012
                        • Brisbane

Originally posted by 02-SR5 View Post
                        Best thing to do is to get a chip installed and have a propper dyno tune conducted.

Only real way to get true performance and economy out of the engine.

Rob

Good idea but it blows the warranty. My tip - at service time if you are happy with fuel economy and performance advise the service manager in writing to leave the ECU alone, no 'upgrades'.
                        Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD

Comment

• 02-SR5
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2010
                          • Toowoomba

Not if done correctly.
                          MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• 260DET
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2012
                            • Brisbane

Originally posted by 02-SR5 View Post
                            Not if done correctly.
                            Pssst, tell me more
                            Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X