• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BMN
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2010
    • Perth WA

G'Day been lurking for awhile so thought i should throw up a post.
    The challenger replaces my 120 prado that i really did love, but the 20g premuim for a 150 prado meant the challenger ticked all the boxes.
    My only concern at the moment is the replacement fuel tanks. I clock up a few km's and was under the impression a straight replacemnt tank would be on the market by now, as im not keen on a sub-tank. So i guess it will be watch this space...
    Only mods are King springs and Koni's in the back. Being a surveyor the car sees 50/50 on/off road and i find the oem tyres good all round

Anyway couple of pics.... did manage to get out the first time, but the red mist did end up in red blush... good laugh for the kids.

BTW If you do some mud work you will find your challenger is supplied with a perfectly placed mud anchor . Mounted under the diff nose is what looks like an anti-vibration device. I removed it to remove the mud and have left it off, with no vibrations felt. If its jammed with mud it will serve no purpose anyway.

One more photo showing one advantage of a oem towbar
    Last edited by BMN; 13-09-10, 11:09 PM. Reason: One more photo
    2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings
  • wasarangie
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2010
    • Ocean Grove

Originally posted by BMN View Post
    One more photo showing one advantage of a oem towbar
    Good to see a you get it dirty. My children used to like getting stuck too, it was the highlight of our trips. All you needed to do was fall in, they would never forget it.
    SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• TheTaipan
      Banned
      • Jan 2009
      • sydney

Uum snatching with the loop over the tow ball is a BIG no no.

Comment

• BigBloke65
        • Aug 2010
        • SA

Originally posted by TheTaipan View Post
        It certainly is. If you can't or don't want to use the recovery points (not the tiedown eye) buy a receiver hitch you can slide into the towbar or at least use the pin to secure the strap.

Welcome! A replacement tank would be awesome, I agree.
        PB Challenger LS Auto 5 seat (White) / Bridgestone D694 AT's / Window Tint / Hayman Reece Towbar / Prodigy brake controller / Factory cargo barrier / DIY False floor / ARB Deluxe Bar / Rear view camera / UHF radio / roof mounted DVD 11 inch screen / Bushskinz protection plates complete set / Extra set of wheels Dueller H/T / OME front springs 0-50kg / OME back springs 0-50kg

Comment

• wasarangie
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2010
          • Ocean Grove

Originally posted by TheTaipan View Post
          Reason being the towball is rated for a constant pull. Snatching gives a shock loading and the ball will fail and become a projectile. I have seen the result of this being a broken windscreen and the seat headrest broken in a Hilux years ago.

Most people have been guilty of what we now consider to be an unsafe act.

I still like you photo's though.
          SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• Sean
            • Jun 2009
            • Bundaberg QLD

I'm guilty and i guess lucky. Saw some scary pics of it all going wrong, never did it again.
            97 NK GLS 3.5 petrol,220 Roolites, UHF, BFG AT's, LPG, snorkel, bullbar, rear storage drawers, 2" oztec/ king spring lift, Dual batteries ,80litre Waeco.
            ## MUD MAKES ME HORNY##

Comment

• TheTaipan
              Banned
              • Jan 2009
              • sydney

Comment

• SuperYOOT
                • Dec 2009

Being a surveyor the car sees 50/50 on/off road and i find the oem tyres good all round
                I wonder if you and I are the only two surveyors on this forum! I nearly bought the challenger (same reason as you too) but I ended up with a Nissan Patrol ST through work (not entirely my choice but I do love it).

Comment

• Ballfyboy
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2007
                  • Brisbane

BTW If you do some mud work you will find your challenger is supplied with a perfectly placed mud anchor . Mounted under the diff nose is what looks like an anti-vibration device. I removed it to remove the mud and have left it off, with no vibrations felt. If its jammed with mud it will serve no purpose anyway.

I think it is just a protector for the diff?? Mine has been bent up and has about a .00000000000000005mm gap to the driveshaft. It will take some pretty serious hitting with a sledge hammer to sort out so I am not in any great hurry yet. All the same pretty happy it took the hit and not the diff.
                  NX Pajero with a ARB Frontier LR tank and some semi-big ideas.

Comment

• BMN
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2010
                    • Perth WA

Totally agree Guys. The car was not totally stuck, it was a quick don't want this getting any worse

I wonder if you and I are the only two surveyors on this forum! I nearly bought the challenger (same reason as you too) but I ended up with a Nissan Patrol ST through work (not entirely my choice but I do love it).
                    Were probably the only two stupid enough to stand out in the sun and rain all year round, pretending we know what were doing
                    Could of got the nissan for the same price, but not real keen on the new model next year, which i may of waited for. Was close to buying a 08 st with 40 thou on the clock but the service books were a little suspect and voided the extended warrenty

I think it is just a protector for the diff?? Mine has been bent up and has about a .00000000000000005mm gap to the driveshaft. It will take some pretty serious hitting with a sledge hammer to sort out so I am not in any great hurry yet. All the same pretty happy it took the hit and not the diff.
                    I think if it was intended as a diff protector it would be further back protecting the metal plate crown wheel/sump section. If you have a close look there's a nice piece of billit steel suspended with rubber mounts in there. There is only 4 bolts holding it so removal for cleaning or straighting is easy. As you said a few hits and it will foul the prop shaft.
                    It does concern me that a anti vibration device is required.
                    2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• SuperYOOT
                      • Dec 2009

It does concern me that a anti vibration device is required.
                      Most modern cars do, all part of improving NVH.

Comment

• sako
                        • Jan 2010

how does your challenger compare to the 120 prado?

Comment

• BMN
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2010
                          • Perth WA

sako the prado was v6 man and the challenger is td auto so a little hard to compare on power etc. My negatives for the prado were fuel consumption which loaded up with 4 kids, camper trailer etc was lucky to get 850km from 180lts, and the 6s man. IMO 5s all you need.

I guess in the first week of driving the challenger i found the seating position hard to get right, and the TD seems noisy when cold on part throttle. I had a 2000 Mazda Bravo TD prior the Prado that was quieter. And there's a little less space width wise.

The things i prefer over the Prado, is the rear tailgate opening up, the good over bonnet visability, and being able to find it in a car park (there are LOTS of white prados)

The challenger handles off and on road just as well as the Prado, Athough driving a rally car in my spare time I'm not to fussed on the ASC, TC etc. and will probably disconnect rear sway bar, as i did with the Prado using king/koni rear springs/shocks. Im happy to trade a little body roll for better gravel road manners.

Having clocked up 5000km in the challenger, I think its line ball as to which
                          i would buy new for the same price. And if i get 150000km trouble free motoring from the challenger i will be very happy. In saying that i don't think resale will be as good on the challenger

Comment

• sako
                            • Jan 2010

thanks for you thoughts on the two.
                            I haven't taken the plunge on either just yet, I'm probably due to update end of this year or early next

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X