• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • colmat
    • Mar 2015
    • Taree

Aftermarket wheels

Hi all, looking at these aftermarket wheels https://www.ebay.com.au/i/2827618442...SABEgInQ_D_BwE

The centre bore is larger than Challenger factory alloys. Just wondering if this is an issue as seem to remember reading on previous threads a possible issue with changing wheels etc.

Sorry if this is stupid question but have limited knowledge of technical stuff and prefer to have some background before visiting wheel shops.

Cheers
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Aftermarket wheels

There’ll be some who say that you can’t run larger centre bore wheels with hub centric rings because the hub holds some weight ie it’s not just the studs that take the full weight of the car.

There are others who say it’s fine and they’ve done it heaps of times.

Potentially some cars it’s more critical for the hub / bore size to match. Not sure about the Challenger.

My old NP had 4 hub centric rings to fit aftermarket wheels. Two of the rings were plastic (from Bob Jane) and the other two were aluminum from memory from the interwebs. I didn’t run them long term so can’t comment on the whole “plastic melting / getting stuck” etc but there weren’t any noticeable vibrations from the wheels.

The above is mostly from memory and maybe I’m mixing it up with something.. eg I remember something about tapered wheel nuts essentially centering the wheel okay when you tighten them up.

And I know there’s a lot more to say about the topic. This probably hasn’t helped at all lol, only raised more questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• bsperka
      • Jan 2013
      • Carindale

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
      There’ll be some who say that you can’t run larger centre bore wheels with hub centric rings because the hub holds some weight ie it’s not just the studs that take the full weight of the car.

There are others who say it’s fine and they’ve done it heaps of times.

Potentially some cars it’s more critical for the hub / bore size to match. Not sure about the Challenger.

My old NP had 4 hub centric rings to fit aftermarket wheels. Two of the rings were plastic (from Bob Jane) and the other two were aluminum from memory from the interwebs. I didn’t run them long term so can’t comment on the whole “plastic melting / getting stuck” etc but there weren’t any noticeable vibrations from the wheels.

The above is mostly from memory and maybe I’m mixing it up with something.. eg I remember something about tapered wheel nuts essentially centering the wheel okay when you tighten them up.

And I know there’s a lot more to say about the topic. This probably hasn’t helped at all lol, only raised more questions.

The engineers are "some who say". The hub supports the weight, the nuts hold the wheel onto the hub. It's been this way for over 20 years.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

I am not sure a 17x9 +30 offset rim will fit on the Challenger front without rubbing on the suspension, steering or body work, across all steering and suspension compression positions.
        Factory size is 17x7.5 +38 offset, so my calculations are the wheel track will be widened by 16mm, the inner edge of the rim will move 11 mm inwards and the outer edge of the rim will move outwards by 27mm.

What size, brand and model tyre are you thinking of fitting to these rims?

LT 265/65R17, LT275/65R17 and LT285/65R17 are all approved up to a 9.5 inch wide rim.
        LT265/70R17 and LT275/70R17 are only approved up to 8.5 inch wide rims.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
          Valued Member
          • May 2017
          • Sydney

Aftermarket wheels

Originally posted by bsperka View Post
          The engineers are "some who say". The hub supports the weight, the nuts hold the wheel onto the hub. It's been this way for over 20 years.
          Like I said lol.. some will say.. and without direct quotes from the engineers who supposedly are the some who say.. There are just as many online sources that say that they don’t hold weight but rather it’s the friction between the wheel and the axle mount, created by the nuts being torqued on. Also I’m 90% certain I’ve seen factory alloy wheels where the “matching” centre bore has a 2-3mm diameter difference and obviously that hub ain’t holding any weight or you’d have vibrations that shake your teeth out [emoji23] when you follow the logic of this, for the hub to bear weight without causing any vibrations then surely the clearance between the hub and the circumference of the bore hole would have to be so negligible that you’d almost have to hammer the wheel on.

Anyway, I’m not presenting either side as the truth because the fact is I just don’t know. Just wanted to present both sides of the argument. Maybe there are some engineers who’ve designed these things that can create an account on this forum, jump on and clarify everything

Comment

• NJV6
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2010
            • New Zealand

I run 17x9 on my pajero (yes I know this is the challenger page!) and they come with inserts so the centre bore matches the Pajero one. They are hard plastic.

I will say one thing, if you intend to do much off road with those rims 9 inch rims they are very easy to scratch/gouge/damage as there is very little tyre (if any) to protect the rim. And when you scratch a black rim it is very obvious as it’s alloy coloured underneath. Mine had a machined outer edge so it’s not as obvious.
            1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
            1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
            2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

In an ideal world, the wheel would be centred on the hub and the studs transmit drive and braking torque.

If you have wheels designed for tapered nuts then tightening the nuts in an intelligent staged sequence will probably suffice - I haven't had trouble with the steel wheels in Shorty.

For the factory alloys on my Pajero, that have sleeved nuts and flat washers, there needs to be clearance between the nut sleeve and the matching bore in the wheel so that the nuts don't bind in the wheel bores due to differential temperature expansion, or crud buildup over time (as wheels go on & off). With this required clearance the nuts cannot be relied upon to centre the wheel, so hub-centric spacers would be required. Or the wheels could be professionally modified with tapered inserts, so they could then be centred with tapered nuts, but I'm not sure if this solution is technically legal.

I noticed the ebay ad claims that they manufacture "tyres and wheels". If you do decide to proceed with purchasing these wheels, have them put something in writing that the wheels comply with whatever is the relevant Australian Standard.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• colmat
                • Mar 2015
                • Taree

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                I am not sure a 17x9 +30 offset rim will fit on the Challenger front without rubbing on the suspension, steering or body work, across all steering and suspension compression positions.
                Factory size is 17x7.5 +38 offset, so my calculations are the wheel track will be widened by 16mm, the inner edge of the rim will move 11 mm inwards and the outer edge of the rim will move outwards by 27mm.

What size, brand and model tyre are you thinking of fitting to these rims?

LT 265/65R17, LT275/65R17 and LT285/65R17 are all approved up to a 9.5 inch wide rim.
                LT265/70R17 and LT275/70R17 are only approved up to 8.5 inch wide rims.

OJ.
                OJ, Currently running the standard 265/65/17 and ideally I'd like to run the 285/65/17. I measured about 18-20mm still inside guard with original setup so was thinking extra 8mm offset change and 10mm (half of 285mm increase) would really fill the guards out. Looking to create the Ford Raptor style look.

Didn't expect the increase to 9" rims would create issues with steering/suspension as the rim width (9" = 229mm) would still be less than the original tyre width 265mm. Wouldn't the sidewall of tyre hit first?? Haven't looked underneath the rig and like I said my technical knowledge is quite basic.

Are there any makes/models that run the same small bore as the Challenger and +30 offset?

Thanks

Comment

• colmat
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Taree

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                  In an ideal world, the wheel would be centred on the hub and the studs transmit drive and braking torque.

If you have wheels designed for tapered nuts then tightening the nuts in an intelligent staged sequence will probably suffice - I haven't had trouble with the steel wheels in Shorty.

For the factory alloys on my Pajero, that have sleeved nuts and flat washers, there needs to be clearance between the nut sleeve and the matching bore in the wheel so that the nuts don't bind in the wheel bores due to differential temperature expansion, or crud buildup over time (as wheels go on & off). With this required clearance the nuts cannot be relied upon to centre the wheel, so hub-centric spacers would be required. Or the wheels could be professionally modified with tapered inserts, so they could then be centred with tapered nuts, but I'm not sure if this solution is technically legal.

I noticed the ebay ad claims that they manufacture "tyres and wheels". If you do decide to proceed with purchasing these wheels, have them put something in writing that the wheels comply with whatever is the relevant Australian Standard.
                  Thanks NJ, not actually gunna buy from this ebay site, but the wheels were what I was looking at. They are sold through Bob Jane outlets.

So I'm gathering it is best to find rims that have the same centre bore? I had a quick look and it appears this is not a very common size for aftermarket rims.

Cheers

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by colmat View Post
                    OJ, Currently running the standard 265/65/17 and ideally I'd like to run the 285/65/17. I measured about 18-20mm still inside guard with original setup so was thinking extra 8mm offset change and 10mm (half of 285mm increase) would really fill the guards out. Looking to create the Ford Raptor style look.

Didn't expect the increase to 9" rims would create issues with steering/suspension as the rim width (9" = 229mm) would still be less than the original tyre width 265mm. Wouldn't the sidewall of tyre hit first?? Haven't looked underneath the rig and like I said my technical knowledge is quite basic.

Are there any makes/models that run the same small bore as the Challenger and +30 offset?

Thanks
                    The fitted tyre will always be wider than the rim if the rim is narrower than the cross sectional width of the tyre but a 265 wide tyre fitted to a 7.5 inch rim will be a different overall width to when it is fitted to a 9 inch rim.
                    Tyre manufacturers will state a particular cross sectional width for a specific tyre for a set rim width, normally the rim width selected is mid range between the narrowest and the widest approved rim width.

To get the best all round performance from a tyre it is advisable to use the tyre manufacturers specified rim width, for off road it is better to go a slightly narrower rim and on road performance a slightly wider rim.
                    By fitting a 265 to a 9" rim you significantly compromise the tyre's performance off road. You can expect more rim, tyre shoulder and tyre sidewall damage as well as the tyre bead will unseat easier at reduced off road pressures.

Sorry I am not aware of any small bore +30 offset rim rims either after market or genuine.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• colmat
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Taree

So if aftermarket wheels have larger centre bore but you use hub centric rings to reduce bore size down to suit 67.1mm of challenger does this satisfy the hub centric issue or is there more to the story?? I notice several wheel manufacturers advertising the rings so assume this allows them to produce a single larger size bore wheel and use rings to reduce as needed for each vehicle make??

Comment

• Lost1
                        • Dec 2013
                        • Melbourne

I have fitted 16x8 +20 offset alloy wheels with 285/75x16 on a ML triton. This is similar to your Challenger. I wouldn't fit a 285 wide tyre to a 9 inch rim myself. I think you will have an increased risk of peeling a tyre off the rim when running low pressures off road.

265/70x17 or 265/75x16 will give you the same diameter as the tyre you are considering and be more capable off road. This tyre width would be suited to rims around 7-7.5 inches in width. This option would be cheaper and probably have greater tyre choice.
                        09 ML GLX-R 3.2L Manual. Bushskinz bash plates, 285/75x16 Kumho MT51 & 16x8 alloys, 3" exhaust, Dobinson MRR 2"lift, MCC Bar and Wheel Carrier, 12000lb ICM winch, Dual Batteries, Billet Turbo compressor upgrade, Brown and Davis LR tank.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X