Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 09-02-20
Valued Member

Did you use the speed sensors from your old pump on the new pump? They are known to cause issues sometimes.

Canít think why the pump timing would be fine on start up then a minute late give grief?
Old 09-02-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab View Post
Did you use the speed sensors from your old pump on the new pump? They are known to cause issues sometimes.

Canít think why the pump timing would be fine on start up then a minute late give grief?

The speed sensors are new...I ordered and installed them on my old pump hoping that would solve issues but it didn't. I transferred them over to the rebuilt pump. The tell tail sign that the old pump was on its last leg was the terrible intermittent idle hunting. At least that doesnt happen anymore.
My only thought on the startup after battery disconnect is that the computer reverts back maybe to some base program, then tries to sort itself out (learn)...as if it advances timing then tries to revert back to normal once settled. If that makes any sense.
I wish there was something I could look at on it and just say "oh, heres the problem."
I bought a couple cheap 14mm wrenches today to butcher up in hopes of getting at that backside nut on the pump.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe turning the pump towards the engine block is advance??
Old 09-02-20

Also...the idle butterfly is function normally incase anyone asks.
Old 12-02-20

*Update*

I managed to advance the injector pump a few millimeters. It was a pain and I had to modify a ratcheting box end wrench.

After buttoning things up enough to get it running, I fired it up and it ran perfectly smooth with no white noxious smoke. But like before, after about 30s to 1min the misfire and shutter returned. Idle was about 750rpm. If I idled it up to 1000, it instantly smooth out and the misfire was gone...and i could rev it right up to 4000rpm, where it would struggle to get past 3000 before. As I revved it, it would puke out some white smoke briefly...I assume from fuel loading up during the idle misfire. Once it settled back down to idle the misfire returned.
Its definitely better than it was before I adjusted the pump, but still not idling correctly. I'm not so sure I want to try advancing it any more at this point.
I even changed back to my original speed sensors...no change.
I'm really scratching my head here...I dont know why it would e fine at 1000rpm but shuttery and misfiring at 250rpm less. I also dont understand why it runs perfect for a short while after the battery is reconnected.
Old 12-02-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNpajero View Post
*Update*

I managed to advance the injector pump a few millimeters. It was a pain and I had to modify a ratcheting box end wrench.

After buttoning things up enough to get it running, I fired it up and it ran perfectly smooth with no white noxious smoke. But like before, after about 30s to 1min the misfire and shutter returned. Idle was about 750rpm. If I idled it up to 1000, it instantly smooth out and the misfire was gone...and i could rev it right up to 4000rpm, where it would struggle to get past 3000 before. As I revved it, it would puke out some white smoke briefly...I assume from fuel loading up during the idle misfire. Once it settled back down to idle the misfire returned.
Its definitely better than it was before I adjusted the pump, but still not idling correctly. I'm not so sure I want to try advancing it any more at this point.
I even changed back to my original speed sensors...no change.
I'm really scratching my head here...I dont know why it would e fine at 1000rpm but shuttery and misfiring at 250rpm less. I also dont understand why it runs perfect for a short while after the battery is reconnected.
Way out of my league sorry.

Couple of workshop manual for the VRZ Pump at the following link - may assist with calibration of the pump and possible shed some light on the start up process and why it appears to initially run fine.

http://www.pajeroclub.co.za/forum/vi...t=6294&start=0
Old 14-02-20

About ready to pull my hair out here....same thing, disconnect battery- runs fine for a minute, then misfire and shake. Could I have got bad speed sensors? Is it the temp sensor? Bad pump calibration? Its certainly better after I advanced it....but not at idle!

Old 15-02-20

I wonder if the temp sensor has something to do with it?? While it was running at idle and warm(shuttering and missing), I unplugged the temp sensor and it evened out for a minute or so and ran smooth. I read somewhere that the ECU uses a different map on startup as opposed to warmup. I'm going to take the temp sensor out and test it.
Old 19-02-20

Remember I said once that when I was messing with the temp sensor and the knock went away??? Well I was cleaning and checking wiring while the engine was running...I touched the wiring for the temp sensor and the throttle butterfly slammed shut and killed the motor. So I took a closer look and found some frayed/damaged wiring to the temp sensor near some factory tape. I went to take the brittle tape off and the frayed wires that were wrapped around each other fell apart in my hands. I'm not 100% sure that this is my issue, but it's a start. Seems odd that it ran fine the one time I was messing with the temp sensor and its connections. I'll rig it up temporary tomorrow and see what happens. I noticed on Ebay I can buy a new wire loom for the pump. Fingers crossed.
Old 19-02-20
Valued Member

Hopefully you will get it sorted soon. Been a big exercise so far. Good luck.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavouring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Telegraph X camper
Old 19-02-20

Thanks! I hope so!
It certainly has consumed more of my time and dwindling patience than I had ever planned on.
I hope this is it.