• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robin
    • Nov 2010
    • monbulk. vic

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
    Have never been on a toll road and never will!!!
    Dicko o1, we will never meet, I'm surrounded by road tolls.
    Robin.
    Mods. After market cup holders. 4 After market weather shields from ebay that look and work great. No more messy hair NG 1989 V6 3Ltr. Super Wagon. Electric sun roof, cruise control, ashtrays and great seats and new motor.
    To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Robin View Post
      Dicko o1, we will never meet, I'm surrounded by road tolls.

Feel sorry for you. Toll roads are just a shining example of politicians incompetence and greed...
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Jasonmc73
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2019
        • Brisbane

Feel sorry for you. Toll roads are just a shining example of politicians incompetence and greed...
        Greed how they sold them to someone else!!

Incompetence in my opinion only would be A completely understated event in this instance
        Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Robin
          • Nov 2010
          • monbulk. vic

Spot on Dicko 1.
          Robin.
          Mods. After market cup holders. 4 After market weather shields from ebay that look and work great. No more messy hair NG 1989 V6 3Ltr. Super Wagon. Electric sun roof, cruise control, ashtrays and great seats and new motor.
          To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

In Adelaide we only ever had 1 Toll road and that operated between 1841 and 1847.
            The historic Toll Gate building and gate is well preserved as a reminded to all those that travel up the modern South Eastern Freeway.

The historic toll house at the base of the South Eastern Freeway was constructed in 1841 as a means for funding road construction from Adelaide to Mount Barker. As the only toll road in the colony of South Australia, this system generated significant public hostility and did not even come close to c..

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• spot01
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
              In Adelaide we only ever had 1 Toll road and that operated between 1841 and 1847.
              The historic Toll Gate building and gate is well preserved as a reminded to all those that travel up the modern South Eastern Freeway.

The historic toll house at the base of the South Eastern Freeway was constructed in 1841 as a means for funding road construction from Adelaide to Mount Barker. As the only toll road in the colony of South Australia, this system generated significant public hostility and did not even come close to c..

OJ.
              Thanks OJ - I had forgotten about that one - never had the dis-pleasure of paying a toll there!
              However, I would argue we do have a toll road in SA - the ferry to KI charges a very large "toll" to travel on what should be deemed part of the national highway - unlike some other ferry services that are government subsidised, this one is not (since the government ended the Troubridge/Island Seaway service many years ago & handed the licence to a monopoly private operator who has turned into a huge corporation at our expense!)
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                Thanks OJ - I had forgotten about that one - never had the dis-pleasure of paying a toll there!
                However, I would argue we do have a toll road in SA - the ferry to KI charges a very large "toll" to travel on what should be deemed part of the national highway - unlike some other ferry services that are government subsidised, this one is not (since the government ended the Troubridge/Island Seaway service many years ago & handed the licence to a monopoly private operator who has turned into a huge corporation at our expense!)
                Ha, don't get me started on the failure of privatisation of once owned public utilities.
                Both sides of government have been shortsighted in selling off public assets and we will never recover from these decisions.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Mundy55
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2015
                  • Gold Coast

Road infrastructure costs money and has to be paid for. So, you either pay for it by tolls or through your taxes. Why should someone in Broken Hill, for example, pay for a road that only some people in Sydney get to use? Tolls mean that those who use the road, pay for the road, which to me is reasonable.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Sydney

Because a proportion of my taxes would go to funding whatever infrastructure is needed in Broken Hill I suppose. I’m not overly fussed by the need for the toll just the apparent need to milk more out of the public to feed some company’s profits.

The question I find I’m asking myself when I drive (usually slowly) past a roadworks sign telling me how many billions is spent on the next few kays, is whether that figure represents value for money? It quite often seems a ludicrous sum of money for some earthworks, pre-fab concrete, and bitumen.
                    NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• spot01
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post
                      Road infrastructure costs money and has to be paid for. So, you either pay for it by tolls or through your taxes. Why should someone in Broken Hill, for example, pay for a road that only some people in Sydney get to use? Tolls mean that those who use the road, pay for the road, which to me is reasonable.
                      The old way is a combination of rego fees, fuel taxes, tolls, general taxation, etc., all of which are fairly blunt instruments as they don't take into account people's actual driving habits (except for tolls).
                      The future should replace all these with a single road user charge, calculated using info including vehicle type/weight, distance, location, time of day, etc. We have the technology to do this now and it would be much fairer. It would also reduce traffic congestion, as lower fees would encourage off peak driving, choosing less congested routes, etc.
                      We have been using this method successfully on the Interstate Defined Rail Network for over 20 years.
                      All we need is visionary governments to implement it...................
                      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

Wrong. Does this mean I get my tax money back because I don't use airports, drink capital city water and don't drive on 99% of Australia's roads? All revenue from road tax and fuel excise is supposed to be for road infrastructure and forward planning....less than 30% is used. Over 70% goes into consolidated revenue...Politicians are just grubs that have no interest in the community. Its all about greed and control.
                        Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2019
                          • Brisbane

I think you should look into who owns the toll collection points & why they own them???

They own them to make profits out of us, private international company own the toll roads, it is for profits that they own them, not to benefit road users

Transurban do not own the roads for charitable reasons, we were sold out once again.

& all those feeder roads onto tollways, who pays for them

So on this occasion I will agree to disagree with you

Transurban also lobby our clever people running the show with "congestion busting" practical solutions on infrstructure the governemnt should build to funnel even more paying customers to their toll booths! Although it ends in those customers paying for the privilage of sitting jammed up in traffic on the very expensive roads waiting for their turn to drive through the pay points & now wella they can pay to tow their trailers as well!

It is A fantastic business model I must say

You are driving on roads for profits to private company & they just worked out to make even more, end of story.

Transurban revealed yesterday a surge in weekend traffic has helped fuel an $813 million toll windfall for Transurban. Weekend traffic on its Melbourne toll road grew by 4.6% in the past financial year as more motorists flock to City-Link to avoid congestion. Senior Manager of Transport at RACV, Peter Kartsidimas, says we need a fresh comprehensive […]
                          Last edited by Jasonmc73; 03-11-19, 11:28 AM.
                          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
                            I think you should look into who owns the toll collection points & why they own them???

They own them to make profits out of us, private international company own the toll roads, it is for profits that they own them, not to benefit road users

Transurban do not own the roads for charitable reasons, we were sold out once again.

& all those feeder roads onto tollways, who pays for them

So on this occasion I will agree to disagree with you

Transurban also lobby our clever people running the show with "congestion busting" practical solutions on infrstructure the governemnt should build to funnel even more paying customers to their toll booths! Although it ends in those customers paying for the privilage of sitting jammed up in traffic on the very expensive roads waiting for their turn to drive through the pay points & now wella they can pay to tow their trailers as well!

It is A fantastic business model I must say

You are driving on roads for profits to private company & they just worked out to make even more, end of story.

https://www.3aw.com.au/transurban-ta...nd-congestion/

You don't have to be Einstein to know that the public are getting screwed big time by councils, state gov and federal govt,s.
                            Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2019
                              • Brisbane

You don't have to be Einstein to know that the public are getting screwed big time by councils, state gov and federal govt,s.
                              & the other myth Transurban pay for the infrastrcuture

We have upgraded the Gateway Motorway between Nudgee and Deagon, with additional pavement and safety works through to Bracken Ridge.

Um nah.

Gateway motorway QLD as example see link above

The project was jointly funded with $914.18 million from the Australian Government and $228.54 million from the State Government on a 80:20 split.

I never listened much at school but just an observation, you don't have to be real clever to be A politician thats only interested in the next election.

Comment

• Mundy55
                                Valued Member
                                • Nov 2015
                                • Gold Coast

Yes, we can agree to disagree. Carping on about politicians is a favourite in Aussie whinging culture.

I agree the user pays principle is not uniformly practised by governments and there are many examples of postage stamp pricing.

But there are many services governments have to pay for which don't raise revenue themselves. So its raise taxes one way or another. Road users are an easy target. Responsible governments have practical limits to their borrowings without causing other problems.

We whinged about Labor doing nothing infrastructure-wise for 20years they were in NSW and when we get a government that does something (eg North Connex, Metro, et) we whinge again. We need to grow up.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X