Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Mechanical

Mechanical Discussion of mechanical matters

Old 09-04-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithyv View Post
After 3 months or so of running my lockup mate with default settings I bumped up (down?) the threshold so it locks up later. All round improvement I think. Before it would lockup at 70 or 80 km/h when the engine had not yet warmed up and lugged a bit.
Yes, lockup-mate doesn't monitor the transmission temperature before activating like auto-mate does.
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BFG 265/65R18 | ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME 3510WS UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles & paddle-mate | auto-mate
2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods
RETIRED 2003 NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Lots of mods
Build thread

Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate now available
Old 09-04-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithyv View Post
No this is not correct, I can't see anywhere where it says that.

It works in D 100%

https://88c80261-c82e-4595-8b4b-f808...78ecdecacc.pdf
Correct. lockup-mate works in D, but only when you're at the speed that allows lockup in 5th (around 75kph). In SPORT it work in all gears.
auto-mate works in all gears - both DRIVE and SPORT modes.

Both only work in 1st if you've had the valve body modified.
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BFG 265/65R18 | ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME 3510WS UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles & paddle-mate | auto-mate
Build thread

Old 09-04-20
Valued Member

Fuel savings around town
The performance of the ASIN and JATCO transmissions in the Gen4 Pajero (NT+) and Challenger respectively are quite different. You get good fuel savings around town with the Challenger, less so with the Pajero. Definitely fuel savings on the open road touring with a load or larger tyres with both.

Smoothness
The Challenger gear changes aren't as smooth initially and it takes time for the TCU's adaptive learning to make it better. This isn't the case with the Pajero as the adaptive learning plays less of a role. In both you will 'notice' the gear changes which is normal, and in the Challenger they're more noticeable when changing under light throttle.
Build thread

Old 09-04-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundy55 View Post
Lest these comments be misconstrued, let me start out by saying I am, overall very happy with the Automate lockup kit. However, contrary to Denmonkey, I haven't found the gear changes smoother when the TCC is locked and there's a definite tug when you back off the accelerator (like in a manual).
Agree. The changes are more usually more noticeable. denmokney just happened to have a perfect change at that time
When decelerating it remains locked (in the Pajero version) so you get better engine braking. The factory program unlocks it the moment you lift the accelerator pedal and coast.
In the Challenger version it's different. When coasting it unlocks it, and only locks during coasting when in SPORT mode for better engine braking.

Quote:
I also found that the rpm at which gear changes occurred have changed from 40kph for 4th and 60kph for 5th, to 60kph and 80kph respectively. This surprised me, initially, until I realised that because the TCC can't slip, the revs need to be higher to stop lugging at too low rpm.
Correct. The Pajero driveline is also very sensitive to shudder, and this can vary between vehicles. This is one reason why auto-mate is adjustable. You can adjust the shift pattern up a little if it feels like it's lugging in your particular vehicle.
Quote:
What this means to me is that around town, I don't expect to get any significant fuel improvement as I now spend a lot more time in 3rd and 4th and don't get into 5th often, notwithstanding the slippage that occurs without the TCC locked. I expect the big improvement to be on the open road and when towing (something to look forward to, post Covid19).
yes, agree for the Pajero, but in the Challenger/Triton, due to the high slip torque converter, you can get very good fuel savings around town.

Quote:
I haven't reconfigured my Torque pro properly yet to check on transmission temp differences but this is the main benefit to me of the kit - to protect the TCC from overheating.
Trans temps will be substantially lower. Many forget this is the primary purpose of the lockup-kits, and fuel savings is a very nice side benefit
Build thread

Old 10-04-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_and_m View Post
Correct. lockup-mate works in D, but only when you're at the speed that allows lockup in 5th (around 75kph). In SPORT it work in all gears.
auto-mate works in all gears - both DRIVE and SPORT modes.

Both only work in 1st if you've had the valve body modified.
What needs to be done to the valve body?
I think 1st low with lockup would be awesome on technical descents...

I wish automate and paddlemate worked together...
Old 11-04-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut1100 View Post
What needs to be done to the valve body?
I think 1st low with lockup would be awesome on technical descents...

I wish automate and paddlemate worked together...
Wholesale Automatics offer a modified option when you get a Nomad valve body. I believe it entails opening up a hydraulic passage that is blocked from factory.
I have had it in my NW, the additional engine braking in low range was negligible. Mark's 3.15 reduction gears are a much better option for this purpose.
MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Falken MT01's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers
Old 11-04-20
Valued Member

I didn't think locking the TC would be of any benefit downhill. Happy to be corrected though.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.

Last edited by Ian H; 12-04-20 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-04-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post
I didn't think locking the TC would be of any benefit downhill. Happy to be corrected though.
Locking the TC when going downhill does provide engine braking but it is limited by the gear ratios, also if allows the ATF to be circulated through the ATF coolers, this is important if you have just done a long climb and the ATF temperatures have increased.

OJ.
If the engine turns, the atf pump pumps.

Locking the torque converter when coasting adds engine braking and cools the atf.

If it isn't locked it's slipping and will add heat to the atf even when coasting downhill. Yes, you read that correctly.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D
Old 12-04-20
Super Moderator

When we were testing and tuning both Lockup Mate and Auto Mate on the Challenger, we used the SE freeway climb to Crafers from the Tollgate as our test climb. This is about 7km of constant steep uphill that stresses engines and auto transmissions especially when towing. The Challenger would go into limp mode if you used Drive, had your foot flat to the floor and was towing 2000kg.

Without the TC locked we had ATF temps of over 110C at the top of the climb and these would stay above 95C even after the return trip of 7kms back down the hill. When we descended the hill with the TC locked we where able to get the ATF down to less than 70C.

With the TC locked on the climb we had max ATF temps of 85C and with the TC locked on the descent below 70C. With the locked TC in 3rd almost no braking was required, compared the unlocked TC. Descend the hill in Drive and a lot of brake use was required.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 12-04-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
When we were testing and tuning both Lockup Mate and Auto Mate on the Challenger, we used the SE freeway climb to Crafers from the Tollgate as our test climb. This is about 7km of constant steep uphill that stresses engines and auto transmissions especially when towing. The Challenger would go into limp mode if you used Drive, had your foot flat to the floor and was towing 2000kg.

Without the TC locked we had ATF temps of over 110C at the top of the climb and these would stay above 95C even after the return trip of 7kms back down the hill. When we descended the hill with the TC locked we where able to get the ATF down to less than 70C.

With the TC locked on the climb we had max ATF temps of 85C and with the TC locked on the descent below 70C. With the locked TC in 3rd almost no braking was required, compared the unlocked TC. Descend the hill in Drive and a lot of brake use was required.

OJ.
For anyone new to this thread, the results from the freeway climb mentioned by OJ are located in post #85 of this thread - the pdf attachment.
Build thread

Last edited by m_and_m; 12-04-20 at 05:30 PM.