• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dicko1980
    • Aug 2014
    • Darwin NT

DC Charger Location

Hi

I've had a quick search of past threads and not really come up with much in regards to DC Charger Location for either under bonnet or under the front passenger seat.

Do any members have some advice or photos to share.

Installing the battery and charger in the third row is not an option for me either.

Thanks
    Dicko

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
  • NWDarwin
    • Jun 2018
    • Canberra

I put mine behind the plastic grille and in front of the radiator fan on the passenger side.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NWDarwin; 10-10-19, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2019
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by NWDarwin View Post
      I put mine behind the plastic grille and in front of the radiator on the passenger side.
      [ATTACH]42575[/ATTACH]
      Apparently according to Redarc, this is A good location if under bonnet as it is cooled whilst in use as thats generally when travelling.
      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• dicko1980
        • Aug 2014
        • Darwin NT

I put mine behind the plastic grille and in front of the radiator fan on the passenger side.
        Looks spot on there mate.

I live in Darwin so want to mount it if possible in a airflow path to keep it cool.

Cheers

Dicko

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

• mongoose
          • Aug 2007

I would also be interested to see, I currently have installed my ARB battery tray and am thinking of putting the charger on the side of that. I think it should be cool enough and may wire a small 12v fan underneath it if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          NW Pajero VR-X
          Currently stock

Comment

• NWDarwin
            • Jun 2018
            • Canberra

Mine has been there for six months up in Darwin, then the epic journey from Darwin to Canberra without any issues what so ever. Since I only bolted it on using two bolts, I kept an eye on it to make sure it wasn’t coming loose, but it was always rock solid. I’m not sure what model you have/getting, but I had to cut a hole in the top of the plastic grille so I could see the led’s and change the settings.

Comment

• Hazpet
              • May 2014
              • Mandurah

DC DC Charger position

This is where mine has been for the last 5 years with no problems.
              Attached Files
              2014 NW VR-X, Ironbark. Dual battery, Off Road Downunder tray, Redarc BCDC1225LV, 92ah AGM, Projector dual battery moniter, Rhino racks & rod holders, ARB awning, MMA steel bar, MMA towbar package, Half rear wheel cover & lift kit, Xray vision 10led bar, Uniden UH 8080NB CB, Tint a car tint, Rear shelf, 40l Engel & slide, Blackvue in car video, Baintech power panel, Scan guage, ARB compressor, Rodezi rod holders, Sports grill, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guard & various other bits & pieces.

Comment

• 11T.Co
                • Oct 2013
                • Brisbane

The things to remember is that when electronic equipment are operating at full capacity they will generate heat that must be dissipated out otherwise this can lead to premature aging of internal components and failure. That is one of the reasons that Redarc states that equipment operating in ambient temperatures above 55° must be derated.

I don't know how well the enclosure and its connections can withstand the weather but that's another thing to keep in mind. A location behind the front grill sounds good but just keep an eye on the effect that the weather has on the equipment and if necessary add a protective shield to deflect water away from the charger.

Comment

• NWDarwin
                  • Jun 2018
                  • Canberra

The projecta IDC25 is rated to international standard IP67, that’s more than enough to survive under the bonnet. It’s a pretty good piece of kit, I’ve never had an issue with mine in the 18 or so months I’ve owned it.

Comment

• Stinky
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Gladstone, qld

Have a look through my build thread. Intervolt Dcc Pro mounted under the passenger seat.
                    Cheers, Mike.
                    The story so far.....03 NP with fruit -Sold.
                    My15 NX. ARB Steel Bar. LED spots. Dobinson MRR lift. Outback Exhaust Fat Pipe. Intervolt DC Pro Dual Battery setup. Provent. SPi module. MM4X4 Lockup Mate, Paddle Mate & Paddle Shift. Mako 12,000 winch with Dyneema.

I'm the boss of my marriage.....my wife said i could say that!

Comment

• Boog
                      • Jul 2018
                      • Perth WA

dc charger location

I have mine mounted here..Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190819_134059.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	984914
                      2014 Pajero NX 3.2 DID

Comment

• mongoose
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Boog View Post
                        I have mine mounted here..[ATTACH]42580[/ATTACH]

That’s pretty neat! Was thinking similar for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        NW Pajero VR-X
                        Currently stock

Comment

• Ian H
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2015
                          • Melbourne

I had mine installed 4 years ago by a well regarded 4WD service centre and it was put in front of the radiator on the passenger side, as in the post by NWDarwin. No problems at all, even up in FNQld and towing.
                          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

The projecta IDC25 is rated to international standard IP67, that’s more than enough to survive under the bonnet. It’s a pretty good piece of kit, I’ve never had an issue with mine in the 18 or so months I’ve owned it.

Thats only a waterproof rating. The temperature under a bonnet can get well over 70degrees celcius. This affects the dcdc charger greatly. Suddenly your 25 amp charger is struggling at 15 amps or less. Thats why many batteries dont last long...heat. Definately listen to what the manufacturer advises and mount it where air can cidrculate and keep it as cool as possibleManufacturers advise against putting them in hot areas. My enerdrive 40 amp has 3 x 80mm computer fans mounted above it to help keep it functioning properly (located in my camper trailer with no ventilation when travelling.
                            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• dicko1980
                              • Aug 2014
                              • Darwin NT

Thanks for the advice guys.

I pulled the glovebox out on the weekend and mounted the DC Charger in the void area above the tray. Fits like a glove and kept out of the engine bay heat, dust, and water. Anderson plugged the wiring for future removal if it fails or needs to be used somewhere else.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X