• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brianjamo
    • May 2016
    • Engadine, NSW

What else to do while I have the dash apart

I am planning the installation of a new head unit in my NT VRX diesel, and reckon while I have everything apart I might tackle a few other projects at the same time. The original head unit is the basic no screen radio cd player and has failed.

The new head unit is a no-name Chinese double DIN 7" screen running Android 8.1 operating system (not Android auto). Accessories I am installing with it are a reversing camera, Dashcam camera (records to an SD card in the head unit), DAB+ digital radio box, and a GPS antenna.

Other things I want to do at the same time are:
    1. Switch to enable traction control in low range with rear diff locked.
    2. Switch to disable front hubs in low range.
    3. Switch to force rear camera on when not in reverse.
    4. Fit switch for driving lights (currently relay is operated directly from high beam circuit).
    5. Fit switch for front parking sensors.
    6. Reverse Tiptronic action so that pushing forward gets a lower gear, pulling back a higher gear.
    7. Fit cable ties to dash to reduce vibration and shake.

The 1st 5 all involve switches, and I don't have enough switch blanks in the dash. Ideally I want to fit them where the card holder widget is, but not sure that is possible. Will work that out later I guess.

The GPS antenna and DAB+ radio antenna will hopefully both be routed out through the blank plate mounted in the centre of the dash right near the windscreen. Any one used this blank and, if yes, how did you remove it?

Any advice on all of this greatly appreciated. Also any suggestions for other stuff I can do while I have it all apart also appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brian
    2009 NT VRX Diesel, electric brake controller, spare wheel lift kit, ECB alloy bar, Kings lightbar and Hella driving lights, Boos bash plates, EGT pyrometer, EGR resistor mod (switchable), soon to have 2" lift, TC mod, breathers.
    Retired - NH GLS 2.5 Diesel
    Retired - Patrol MQ shorty diesel
  • rgrubby
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2018
    • Wellington - NZ

Originally posted by brianjamo View Post
    I am planning the installation of a new head unit in my NT VRX diesel, and reckon while I have everything apart I might tackle a few other projects at the same time. The original head unit is the basic no screen radio cd player and has failed.

The new head unit is a no-name Chinese double DIN 7" screen running Android 8.1 operating system (not Android auto). Accessories I am installing with it are a reversing camera, Dashcam camera (records to an SD card in the head unit), DAB+ digital radio box, and a GPS antenna.

Other things I want to do at the same time are:
    1. Switch to enable traction control in low range with rear diff locked.
    2. Switch to disable front hubs in low range.
    3. Switch to force rear camera on when not in reverse.
    4. Fit switch for driving lights (currently relay is operated directly from high beam circuit).
    5. Fit switch for front parking sensors.
    6. Reverse Tiptronic action so that pushing forward gets a lower gear, pulling back a higher gear.
    7. Fit cable ties to dash to reduce vibration and shake.

The 1st 5 all involve switches, and I don't have enough switch blanks in the dash. Ideally I want to fit them where the card holder widget is, but not sure that is possible. Will work that out later I guess.

The GPS antenna and DAB+ radio antenna will hopefully both be routed out through the blank plate mounted in the centre of the dash right near the windscreen. Any one used this blank and, if yes, how did you remove it?

Any advice on all of this greatly appreciated. Also any suggestions for other stuff I can do while I have it all apart also appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brian

Looks like a comprehensive list. I removed that plate on the dash (I think its for center spraker on flasher models than mine) and mounted my UHF radio there. It is held in with about 4 of those white clips that are on the dashboard. Just leaver it up with a plastic trim tool
    2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• DT6061
      • May 2015
      • Tea Gardens

check Vlad's build thread on page 12 for switch panel. Will be doing similar project in a couple of weeks myself and have the 7 gang carling switch panel ready to go. Thanks Vlad.
      OK, might as well have a thread on my ride. Car is a MY15 NX Pajero GLS in Graphite Metallic colour with 3.2L I4 DiD and 5Spd Tiptronic Auto. Mods to date: Clear tint over privacy glass (kids don't complain like they do in the wife's Outlander with privacy glass but no clear tint to stop UV). 20% tint on front door windows
      2015 NX GLS with stuff added

Comment

• Seigried
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2016
        • brisbane

If you are successfull in disabling the front hubs in Low please share. Otherwise if you have part of the dash apart maybe go a little further and install some anti-rattle brackets to reduce dash vibration offroad.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Seigried; 20-01-19, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Paul (SA)
          • Apr 2013
          • Australia

Maybe run a cable from the glove box to the little circle plate in the removable centre on top of the dash to run a dash cam or GPS?

Also think of what switches you might want where your left knee is behind the steering wheel?

What about a tow pro or similar?

Comment

• denmonkey
            • Oct 2017
            • Newcastle NSW

Hey Brian,

Not sure how much off road the old girl gets but add the cabin filter to your list.

Its up behind the glove box. You can just lower the glove box lid to get to it but much easier with the dash out and you'll be pulling all that out anyway.

If you need help I've got a huge thread here

Hi all, Any time I do a mod or work on my NT i shoot video for it and stick it onto my youtube page. I tend to post up in the relevant forums but figured you NT boys and gals might appreciate them all in the one spot. I'll continue to throw them up in the relevant areas but will keep a log of them here to for those who might

which shows you how to pull the dash out.

I just stuck one in mine and recorded the install for a video but seems I never finished it.

Will get to it later.

Did you buy the new fascia with the unit ?

If not, you may find you need to tweak it a bit to get it to fit.

The original cradle that holds the old radio in didnt quite sit right and to get it to go through the oem fascia, I needed to cut some plastic away at the rear of the radio (dash) to get it to tilt to the right angle. Easy enough though.

Mine had an aftermarket double din in there when I got it but this one was still a smidge bigger.

Can't give advice on wiring as mine was an aftermarket install and a pain in the arse.

If you get the right patch leads it should be plug and play.

By your list though, I'd say you know what you're doing.

There's also a video of my install of the traction control loom mod from vlad.

In that one, I stuck 2 extra switches beside the diff lock switch under the card slot.

Not sure if you have space there due to being a vrx and that may be taken up.

Again depending on model, the light bar install shows where I mounted 2 AOB switches next to the ASC switch to the steering wheel.

I think your VRX goodies may also have taken that space up.

When you drop the glove box watch out for the little light that is clipped in the back. it just turns and pops out.

Mines the GLS NT so your milage may vary.

hope it helps.

cheers Brett

Comment

• Mike DiD
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007

I've found that there is no benefit in mounting the GPS antenna on top of the dash. The plastic the dash is made of is quite transparent to radio signals - just make sure there are no metal parts above the GPS antenna.

Since Digital Radio frequencies are MUCh lower than GPS frequencies, I expect that mounting that antenna inside the dash cover won't be a problem.
              Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• JohnGavin
                • Jan 2013
                • South Africa

there is a aircon duct unit available on alibaba.com that you can install easily to make your centre arm rest a cooler box

Comment

• Kelso
                  • Sep 2010
                  • Mooroolbark

Hi Brian.
                  1 - If installing new switches like Vlad shows in his build thread (posts 105 or 111 linked at post 3 above) you can grab a “dash lights on” feed for your new switches from the courtesy light in the glove box. In GLS NT, I found the globe was “always on” whenever I had my headlights on (I just never noticed it ‘cause glovebox is normally shut & figured MM magically found a way to recognise ‘glove box open’ = turn light on). I replaced the tiny factory globe (light plus heat source) with a 15cm led strip (light but no heat now) and some of the saved power went to the leds in the switches
                  2- the “card thingy” IMO is a waste of 3D real estate. Replaced with 7 ‘carling’ switch surrounds, just need some filing to trim about 1mm in overall width. It is a fiddle but no need for mouse buttons now. Not sure I want to be the person to have to pull a full unit out though due to spring clips on back. A screw in solution would solve that (Vlad - why the change between posts 105 & 111?)
                  3 - Switches perhaps for - drive lights 1, 2, rock lights, roof lights, fridge on/off - look at the AOB samples and you will get ideas. Pre-wire it now !! Plus you already had ideas listed.
                  4 - Other than switches: dual USB**1, dual battery monitor **2, UHF mic plug (see Vlad’s pic’s)
                  5 - pull some different colour cables through the gland and leave coiled behind the LH carpet - 3mm, 4mm, LAN for signals - for future days
                  6 - do you want extra cig lighter plus or USB for charging things (mount near passenger’s right knee, or on rear face of centre console for back seat passengers)
                  7 - got a UHF in, want a 2nd UHF? . Slip a microphone mount in between the trim panels?
                  8 - you are replacing head unit so prob not relevant; I installed plug n play for iPod into factory stereo harness **3
                  9 - definitely replace cabin filter while so close

Happy planning.
                  Kelso
                  ———
                  **1 Narva do one, else lots on ebay.. https://www.narva.com.au/categories/.../dual_usb_blue
                  **2 https://www.solidkit.com.au/product/...er-marine-4x4/)
                  **3 can’t find, IIRC was place in Dandenong VIC, per wire harness, has lead with ‘old’ iPod connector, plus adaptor for ‘new’ connector. Play through AUX function (search this forum)

Comment

• Allan2
                    • May 2013
                    • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

My aftermarket GPS antenna is glued with double sided tape to the air duct under the removable top cover at the center of the dash. Works well through the plastic, nothing stuck to the outside of the dash it is much neater.
                    Allan
                    2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X