• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lyonsy
    • Oct 2017
    • Donald

pajero road noise in cab

Is their any reason why nw and nx pajero's have such bad road noise in the cab ?

I have taken 2 for test drives now one exceed and one gx and both were nice but the road noise on coarse chip roads is horrible after 20 mins it was giving me and the misses a headache
    so is their anything you can do to improve this?

One had highway Tyre's the other had at's very little difference between the 2 in regards to differance in noise.

Or is it just the nature of mono-cog body and they haven't isolated the the k frame's and suspension enough?

Also we took one manual and one auto and the auto at idle and giving it too it was much harsher in the cab and you could feel the engine vibrating, which is strange as the manual had over 200k while the auto was under a 100k, it's all most like the manual had fluid engine mounts and the auto had nolathane mounts.

also took a pajero sport for a drive and it was much quieter then a pajero but where the pajero cab felt a little squishy in the sport in felt tiny (but slightly better then a wrangler) and the seats were terrible both mine and misses back was sore after 20mins driving,
    oh and who ever designed the center console needs to be shot to

challenger felt like an upgrade over the pajero sport in the inertia design and function if not looks and would of been the pick imo but the seat doesn't raise enough to get my legs comfortable.

so unless their is a way to dramatically reduce road noise in the cab of the pajero i am going to have to go prado way which i did not really want to as too many engine issues for my liking.
  • green troll
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2015
    • Adelaide

pajero road noise in cab

Lol it’s nothing compared to my old troll with 35’ muds on. Check tyre pressures.
    But all I can think of is after market sound absorbing material.
    Last edited by green troll; 28-10-17, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Challenger front seat comfort and leg support can be greatly improved by fitting 20mm to 30mm spacers under the front seat attachments.

You pay a lot for a secondhand Prado and they are not without issues.

What is the main role the vehicle will be used for?

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

The NW & NX do have more tyre noise than some vehicles, due at least in part to the body design.

The amount of noise appears to vary considerably according to which tyres are fitted and the road surface type. As the tyres wear, the noise can become louder, so regular tyre rotations are required to minimise noise & extend tyre life. If the tyres on the cars you drove were partly worn & particularly if they have worn unevenly without rotations, they may be much louder than new or properly rotated tyres - perhaps try to drive a car with new HT tyres.

Even with HT tyres, the amount of noise varies with different brands - I've had 3 different brands of OEM HTs on brand new Pajeros - the quietest were Bridgestone 840, followed by Dunlop AT20, with Yokohama the loudest. I would think there may be even quieter HTs if you look for the "car like" on road patterns.

Importantly, what is your intended use of the car & which type of tyres will you need? Once this is established, forum members will be able to advise which tyres of that type are quietest - some have even found quiet ATs.
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

About 5 years ago I worked on a project that used both Prado and Pajero hire cars.

Same hire company, they all had the same tyres. On the bitumen, the Prados were clearly quieter - which isn't surprising given that they are sold as a Lexus in some markets.

Off-road, along our work site (mainly sandy tracks) the Pajeros performed better. Under different off-road conditions I expect the relative performances would change.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Lyonsy
            • Oct 2017
            • Donald

it will be the family and long range driving wagon with at least half a dozen 6 hour trips a year over mostly coarse chip roads, and the shopping vehicle which is hour each way on coarse chip road's.
            If i get one i would have a 2nd set of tyres for doing off road work around the grampian's etc with a set of ht for general duties

The at's where that close to brand new i wouldn't be surprised if they weren't, the ht tyre's where basically un roadworthy, nether had scollping in the tyre's

yeah i am not a fan of the toyota tax or the diesel's injector washer's needing changing every 40'000km and injector lines every 100'000km (but then the toyota ones can only be used twice before having to throw away anyway so 80'000km)
            but it was much quieter which is fairly big consideration

the Challenger seat 40mm would be the least i could raise it may be comfortable 60mm would be better as then i would have to have the seat in the max raised position

oh is their anything you can do to soften the seat base's up a little as misses complained about getting a numb bum from them being to hard lol

Comment

• spot01
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Adelaide

Re the "numb bum", quality lambswool seat covers (air bag compatible) may help or talk to a good motor trimmer about it (they can work wonders). I find the Paj seats the most comfortable of any car I've driven, but we are all different.

Old tyres tend to get hard and are often noisier than when new, even without visible wear irregularities. Regardless, I'd try a Paj with a new set of road biased HTs, ie, a car like tread pattern. IMO, as a highway cruiser, the Paj rides & handles much better than the separate chassis cars I've driven. I find the stereo deals with any tyre noise.

For the family, make sure you get the rear air cond.
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Edwin
                • Jun 2015
                • Auckland

I have the Michellin Latitude, they are quieter than most others.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                2000 Pajero NM
                3.2 DiD GLS

Comment

• keenkean
                  • Jan 2016
                  • Central Coast NSW

Interesting you found it noisy. I have an M series beemer as my daily driver, and the NX pajero exceed the other half drives is easily way quieter and smoother at all speeds. Pajero has Hankooks on it now, barely audible above the previous Grandtrek which were inaudible. I find that I can have a relaxed quiet convo at 110km/hour in the Pajero. It’s my first diesel car too. Is the NX you drove a new vehicle? Wondering if wheel alignment or tyres need a look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• boostboost
                    • Jul 2016
                    • Sydney

I've got an NX. My brother has the Prado. I've driven both and do find the Prado a lot quieter but the Pajero cabin noise is bearable. What isn't bearable is the body roll on the Prado. It's terrible.

Comment

• RoyHarvey
                      • Mar 2008
                      • Adelaide

Road noise and seat comfort

IMHO our MY16 NX is very quiet once up to any speed, the diesel clatter while accelerating is what I notice.

Again IMHO there hasn't been a road vehicle built with a comfortable seating since seat belts were introduced.

I realise the deeply cushioned seats having coil springs and thick padding of those earlier days would cause problems with todays restraint systems, but the current 40mm or so of firm foam on a taught base shows a lack of imagination.

If a manufacturer were to put a little effort toward reducing the "2 hours to numb bum problem" most people would see that as huge plus for that vehicle.
                      2016 NX Pajero GLX
                      Prev....2002 NM petrol passed on to SIL

Comment

• Peterng
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Northern Rivers NSW

I have driven a late model HiLux SR5 with AT’s by Bridgestone and the road noise was very noticeable.
                        My NT with KO2’s is a little noisy when compared to the previous AT’s I had.
                        Tyre tread patterns can contribute significant road noise whilst on a sealed road.
                        Now I use some CEM additives, engine noise at both idle and cruise is really good..on acceleration you can hear it work..but it’s a 3.2ltr diesel turbo.
                        When you get on unsealed roads, it’s completely different, where chassis and suspension noise take over.
                        In regards to the seats, I have found them quiet comfortable on long trips. You can buy accessories for seats to make them more comfortable as well as different types of seat covers etc. I have a mate who pulled out his seats in his 200 series and stuck in Recaros because the 200 seats were uncomfortable..why ? I do not know..more $$$$ than sense if you ask me...
                        Overall the Pajero I have found is 4wd of compromises and it to me is the best in regards to those.
                        If one of those issues is road noise and from your post, road noise is, then you have made your decision.
                        Good luck in your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• mrbitchi
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Brisbane

I loved my Paj, but my Cruiser is MUCH MUCH quieter and better riding on rough roads and corros.
                          For me it's the best touring/towing car on the market.
                          Does struggle a bit in modern pint sized shopping centre car parks though
                          Cheers, John.
                          LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                          Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Lyonsy
                            • Oct 2017
                            • Donald

maybe its i have just got use to body on frame car's and how they are generally much quieter then monocog's.
                            the one with the worn out ht tyre's was the older nw 2012ish and was quiter then the exceede 15

finding a corner to test body roll out where i live is a real challange so smooth riding and quite is more consideration but even then the prado was not what i would call a leaner, but again i am fine with an old rrc and no sway bar's

engine noise was only their on the exceede auto the manual nw was very quite engine wise

Comment

• Ran
                              • Nov 2015
                              • Brisbane

Biggest factor is the monocoque body. Vibration will be transmitted directly to it. Mum has a Honda CRV luxury (2014) and it is noisy as on rough bitumen. Terrible actually, so I've spent some time looking into it.

Solutions:

Tyres - correct tyre pressure and less worn. Sportier tyres will transmit a lot more road noise and off-road tyres will transmit more tread noise. Find yourself some "comfort" touring tyres, I bet Dunlop make something. This will probably bring noise down to an acceptable level.

Rims - ditch the large alloys for smaller and narrower steel rims (obviously keeping same overall diameter tyre). This is something I'll be testing soon on the CRV. Reasoning is properties of large aluminium rims and low profile tyres with high sidewall stiffness.

Sound proofing - a large amount of noise will be coming through the rear tub so fitting a sheet of heavy rubber mat can help isolate noise. Ideally you would strip the interior and put down Resomat on all the large metal surfaces to fully isolate the noise. I did this in my gen 1 and it makes a noticeable difference but it would work even better in a monocoque car.

Professional underbody spray on sound deadener - havent tested this but it should work and is also great rust protection.

If you did all of this you would have a quiet car.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X