• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GOBO
    • Jun 2007
    • Melbourne Aust

Torque Converter Lock Up

Hi Guys,
    I have an NP 05 DID Auto that the auto drops out of lock up very easyly. That is on an open highway in 5th gear (100 - 110 KMS/hr) vehicle not loaded up the torque converter drops out of lock up at the first sign of a hill.
    If I am towing a trailer at this speed then even on a flat road it will not lock up. Mitz say there is nothing wrong with the transmission.

My only previous experience with transmissions with torque converter lock up was with Ford 4 speeds with a 5 Litre V8's and they just stayed locked up.

This issue has been well documented in the forum in he past.
    I was wondering if any owners of an NT with the 'new' auto transmission were experiencing similar problems as I have had.
    Regards
    GOBO

11 NT DID Auto, Bushskinz Intercooler Plate, Brown Davis Sump & Trans Steel Plates, ARB Colour Coded Bar, Light Force Lights, GME Radios fixed and handheld, SME Draws, Waeco Fridge, Dual Batteries, Milford Barrier, BFG ATR's.
  • psproule
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Googong, NSW

What size are your Coopers?
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• apsilon
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2008
      • Hills District NSW

This is my first auto so to be honest, I don't know how to tell when it's "locked up". If someone wants to let me know I'll give you some feedback as I've done a fair few highway km now.
      MY09 NT Pajero X shortie diesel
      Mods - No longer fit in my sig so see here

Comment

• GOBO
        • Jun 2007
        • Melbourne Aust

My Cooper ATR's are 265/70R16
        My Cooper STT's are 245/75R16

By my calcs they are the same diam or rolling circumference as tyres specified by Mits on the tyre placard as standard equipment.

You can see the torque converter lock up by watching the tacho, usually a reduction of about 200RPM when it locks up in 5th. The tacho should then sit rock solid for the constant speed when on cruise control, if it falls out of lock up you will see the revs increase although you are still in 5th gear.
        Regards
        GOBO

11 NT DID Auto, Bushskinz Intercooler Plate, Brown Davis Sump & Trans Steel Plates, ARB Colour Coded Bar, Light Force Lights, GME Radios fixed and handheld, SME Draws, Waeco Fridge, Dual Batteries, Milford Barrier, BFG ATR's.

Comment

• apsilon
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2008
          • Hills District NSW

I'll take a look. I'm due to go up to Newcastle any day now for work.

Comment

• apsilon
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2008
            • Hills District NSW

OK, finally did some freeway km.

Lockup I find you really have to hold a constant throttle for it to engage. It won't disengage up hill unless you accelerate and my guess is that's what you're seeing. You're either accelerating to compensate for the rise or the cruise control is and that's disengaging lockup.

My opinion remains that auto boxes aren't very smart despite all the electronics that go in to them now.

Comment

• ted.t
              • Jul 2008
              • Port Kennedy WA

torque lockup

Originally posted by GOBO View Post
              Hi Guys,
              I have an NP 05 DID Auto that the auto drops out of lock up very easyly. That is on an open highway in 5th gear (100 - 110 KMS/hr) vehicle not loaded up the torque converter drops out of lock up at the first sign of a hill.
              If I am towing a trailer at this speed then even on a flat road it will not lock up. Mitz say there is nothing wrong with the transmission.

My only previous experience with transmissions with torque converter lock up was with Ford 4 speeds with a 5 Litre V8's and they just stayed locked up.

This issue has been well documented in the forum in he past.
              I was wondering if any owners of an NT with the 'new' auto transmission were experiencing similar problems as I have had.
              my my05 exceed DiD is exactly the same ted.t
              06 NP Exceed DiD auto, ECB, Projecta D/B in rear seat space(compressor there too), TX3440, polyairs, bash plates.

Comment

• GOBO
                • Jun 2007
                • Melbourne Aust

Thanks for the replies guys.

I drive from Melb to the Mallee and back several times a year and the vehicle is not loaded up 50% of the time. I expext the torque converter to fall out of lockup on the Calder when Sth of Bendigo where there are quite a few hills to climb.
                What I find it is dropping out of lockup when the highway is basically flat and you are just heading up a gentle undulation. If you are heading into a breeze it also drops out.
                Is this just an issue for the DID's or do the petrol ones do it also.
                Regards
                GOBO

Comment

• micha3l1985
                  • Nov 2010
                  • South Australia

My 03 np did, never really dropped out even when towing and cruising into slight head winds till I put a roof rack on it
                  2015 Automatic PC Challenger with TJM bullbar and underbody protection

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X